Google

Web forums.longhaircommunity.com

View Full Version : what was your first long-hair novel ?

patsur
May 22nd, 2006, 12:53 PM
As a little child, I remember that my love for long hair was quite vague. Only later (say - 11 or 12 years old), I came across the novel of "She" by R. Haggard, about an immortal Egyptian queen, who lived for 2000 years in a city deep in the caves of Kor in Africa. Her hair was long (down to the floor), and glossy black.
I think that at that point I started to understand that I have this thing with long hair. The book did not have too many pictures, so my imagination played a major role.

What is your "first long-hair" novel ?

Oh, by the way, it was a very heart-breaking scene at the end of this book, when she lost her immortality, then lost her sight, then lost all of her hair, and then shrunk into a hideous 2000 years old creature, who died within minutes.

jeannie
May 22nd, 2006, 01:11 PM
When I was about 16 I found the Anne of Green Gables series, I loved reading those books as a child and I still do love to read them. In the book "Anne's House of Dreams" one of the characters Owen is talking to Anne about his landlady Leslie. He asks Anne of she had ever seen Leslie's hair down. When Anne says no he tells her he did. He was supposed to be out for the day so Leslie had taken the oppurtunity to wash her hair. She was standing on the veranda in the sunshine to dry it, and it fell about her feet in a fountain of living gold. When she saw him watching her, she turned and hurried into the house and the wind caught her hair and swirled it all around her - like Danae in her cloud.

What a lovely vision, I have a couple more but this is my earliest memory of long hair in a novel.

jeannie

SylphideNoir
May 22nd, 2006, 01:36 PM
Oh, by the way, it was a very heart-breaking scene at the end of this book, when she lost her immortality, then lost her sight, then lost all of her hair, and then shrunk into a hideous 2000 years old creature, who died within minutes.

Oh, well thanks for giving away the ending! :rolleyes:
:lol: Just teasing. Sounds like a very cool book!

Emichiee
May 22nd, 2006, 01:39 PM
Sorry no Long hair novels I ever read...but I got some movies:

A japanese old old Anime...with ghosts and scary stuff as far as I can remember.
The girl in the movie had very long hair..

And of course lady Amalthia in the Last Unicorn..^^

artemis
May 22nd, 2006, 01:50 PM
I have an illustrated version of George MacDonald's "At the Back of the North Wind" that I used to love as a kid. There are a few pictures of the North Wind with her hair pouring over the floor at her feet. Beautiful.

allege
May 22nd, 2006, 02:19 PM
I think it was a romance novel either viking or irish, can't remember which.

dancingbarefoot
May 22nd, 2006, 02:23 PM
Probably the Little House on the Prairie series, which I read when I was four. The girls in that series have long hair.

But honestly, I didn't care about long hair then. My whole life has not been one long quest for or admiration of long hair. :wink:

suezyque
May 22nd, 2006, 02:25 PM
I never really paid attention to the hair in the books I read until recently. I found the Merry Gentry series by Laurell K Hamilton and alot of the men hair hair waist length or longer. Is that cool or what? Of course they are sidhe and magic and that appealed to Scotch-Irish in me!

JoieBruce
May 22nd, 2006, 02:30 PM
I remember being very upset when Jo cut her hair in "Little Women". But my childhood hair inspiration always came from "Little House on the Prairie" reruns. I wanted to be just like Laura, right down to drinking out of a coffee cup.

Joie

Clare-Dragonfly
May 22nd, 2006, 02:31 PM
I'm sure I read lots of stories with longhaired characters when I was young... I certainly read Anne of Green Gables many times, and I liked the Little House on the Prairie series, though I don't remember long hair in either of those books. The first one I remember, though, was a children's book: The Rainbabies (http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/0688107559/sr=8-1/qid=1148337025/ref=pd_bbs_1/104-3033865-5142356?%5Fencoding=UTF8). There's a picture near the end of an old woman with beautiful, long, silver hair. I knew as soon as I saw that that I wanted hair just like hers when I was old. That's still one of my goals :grin: I just have to wait a long time.

mira-chan
May 22nd, 2006, 02:40 PM
Genji Monogatari, 10th century japanese literature. (world's first novel, by the way, and it was written by a woman, Murasaki Shikibu.) Floor length hair or longer was the japanese court fashion then.

Athena's Owl
May 22nd, 2006, 02:56 PM
I noticed the long hair references in Tanith Lee's early books.

Leia's_Advocate
May 22nd, 2006, 04:49 PM
I'm sure I read lots of stories with longhaired characters when I was young... I certainly read Anne of Green Gables many times, and I liked the Little House on the Prairie series, though I don't remember long hair in either of those books. The first one I remember, though, was a children's book: The Rainbabies (http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/0688107559/sr=8-1/qid=1148337025/ref=pd_bbs_1/104-3033865-5142356?%5Fencoding=UTF8). There's a picture near the end of an old woman with beautiful, long, silver hair. I knew as soon as I saw that that I wanted hair just like hers when I was old. That's still one of my goals :grin: I just have to wait a long time.

Laura, by the end of the series, was mentioned as having hair that fell nearly to her knees. It's also mentioned in the Rose series that follows it. Also, one day while Ma is commenting on how dry Laura's hair is from not brushing it enough(to distribute the oils, I suppose), she says that when she was married she had braids long enough to sit on.

So, if you haven't noticed, Little House on the Prairie was one of my first long hair books. Also, Star Wars: The Crystal Star, in which it also mentions that Leia had hair that fell to her knees.

GlennaGirl
May 22nd, 2006, 05:02 PM
But honestly, I didn't care about long hair then. My whole life has not been one long quest for or admiration of long hair. :wink:

Wow, I sure didn't take the original post that way! :lol: I guess it's all in how you see things.

I second (or third or fourth by this point) the Little House books, especially Little Town on the Prairie, which is the book people have pointed out here stating Laura's hair was to her knees. The one about Ma stroking Laura's hair was, I believe Little House on the Prairie, which took place much earlier (Laura was, what, six or seven in that one maybe?). I was already in love with history in general, so longer hair was just part of the whole shebang of "how people lived in the old days". I am a history buff, from apparel/adornment (including hair), to transportation, to inventions, to eating habits...just everything. So historical novels have always drawn my interest.

I also resonated with the Tree Grows in Brooklyn commentary on how Francie viewed her own hair. She saw it as a nuisance. I wished I had hair long enough to be able to consider it a nuisance! :lol: (But I was always made to cut mine.)

ilumma
May 22nd, 2006, 05:04 PM
It was probably the Lord of the Rings, but I find the Silmarillion to be much more hairinspiring.

On a related note, I read Lord of the Flies last sommer, and it was sickening how much the author describes his hatred for long hair through that story, even if it is about a bunch of crazy kids who have better things to do--he keeps bringing it up needlesly as a symbol for all that is evil in mankind or something... quite sad...

dixie
May 22nd, 2006, 06:32 PM
How about the old fairytale Rapunzel? I always loved that one.

citymorningblue
May 22nd, 2006, 06:41 PM
Empress of the World. I LOVED that book. One of its main characters is named Battle Hall Davies, and she had really long blonde hair. There's a part of the book where she equates her long hair with her parents' obsessive control over her, and she cuts/shaves it all off. Very sad. :(

blue_nant
May 22nd, 2006, 07:28 PM
Not a novel, but I think the artwork of Trina Schart Hyman. she illustrated a lot of fairy tales, and did great hair. great sense of humor which shone through her illustrations.

There was a drawing of a dark-haired woman, in the process of entwining ribbons in her hair.

ETA: The Eagle and The Raven by Gedge, where the women of the Britons have hair so long they have to bind their braids into their belts to fight with swords. woo.

arsh
May 22nd, 2006, 11:21 PM
How about the old fairytale Rapunzel? I always loved that one.
I agree with dixie...Every mention of very long hair reminds me of the fairy tale Rapunzel..it left such an impact on me as a kid

Steve<3
May 23rd, 2006, 03:51 AM
I read the Little House on the Prairie books, but I never paid attention to the hair! I suppose the only longhair I can remember reading about was Dawn from the Babysitters Club.

Loviatar
May 23rd, 2006, 04:04 AM
I too thought of Leslie Moore in the Anne of Green Gables series, and of Jo March in Little Women.

The one that freaked me out most was Flowers in the Attic though, where the grandmother puts tar in Cathy's hair. *shudder* Horrible book.

sillyca
May 23rd, 2006, 04:30 AM
Edited to add: I was about 6-7 when my mom started reading from the Grimm's book, it was her mom's growing up...

Rapunzel got me as well as a book of Grimm's Fairy Tales- the original... it is a green fabric covered book Copywright 1944. Our Lady's Child - page 25 has a picture of a girl sitting beside or against a tree with a huge "cave" or opening at the base... she is naked and has hair draped around her in the forest. Plotline basically is the girl was born to a poor family and the father sent her to live in the woods with the Virgin Mary- and the temptations she faced when given keys to the 13 doors of heaven.. and told not to open one of the doors... and she did... and it touches on her lying about it.. which gets her sent alone into a thicket of thorns surrounding her in the woods- losing her ability to speak... Until a king comes years later and rescues her and takes her back to his castle...
And if you want the rest of the plot, just pm me.. :)
This is an awesome book of Fairy Tales... not the watered down pc cr@p you get now... sorry -rant.
LJ
And I also loved the girls hair on the Brady Bunch, between Marsha and Jan...and lusting after Cindy's spiral pigtails.

Sally
May 23rd, 2006, 05:33 AM
"The Lion, the Witch, and the Wardrobe." The drawings of the witch showed her with long black hair. She was my first ideal of beauty, I think. :lol:

Not a novel, but a poem (Alfred Noyes's "The Highwayman"): "Bess, the landlord's daughter, the landlord's black-eyed daughter, plaiting a dark-red loveknot into her long black hair."

And the fairytale, "Snow White and Rose Red." An old Grimms' brothers tale, I believe. Rose Red had very long black hair and ruby red lips.

So, somehow, long black hair (preferably wavy), ruby red libs, and pale skin formed my iconography of female beauty. (I love intense colours: white skin with black hair; very black skin; very pale or very dark eyes.)

As for male pulchritude? We have many fewer touchstones. But there I prefer dark hair, too.

Ori
May 23rd, 2006, 05:37 AM
I always wanted to be like Pippi Longstocking, with braids that stuck straight out. I also wanted my dark brown hair to be red, but it never obliged me. :)

jel
May 23rd, 2006, 10:31 AM
I never noticed long hair in books as a child - though I read Little Women (somehow always imagined their hair to be BSL) and Lord of the Rings.

When I was in my late teens I read the Mists of Avalon, and really noticed the characters' hair. There were descriptions of colour, texture, length, as well as styles, combing, detangling, braiding... The front cover showed a woman on horseback, her dark wavy hair down to tailbone - which looked almost mystically long to me at the time!

Clare-Dragonfly
May 23rd, 2006, 10:36 AM
Not a novel, but a poem (Alfred Noyes's "The Highwayman"): "Bess, the landlord's daughter, the landlord's black-eyed daughter, plaiting a dark-red loveknot into her long black hair."

"And he kissed its waves in the moonlight--O sweet waves in the moonlight"
Okay, I admit, I don't have the poem anywhere--I'm listening to the version sung by Loreena McKennit :wink: I was just listening to it last night and thought of this thread.

I always pictured Rose Red as a redhead. I don't think my book had any illustrations... wait, yes it did. Hmm. I think she had reddish brown hair.

This thread is reminding me of so many great longhair books I'd forgotten about! I read Empress of the World just recently. I loved the description of Battle's hair and was so upset when she cut it off. Of course, I love Rapunzel. And Pippi Longstocking! I dressed up as her once for Halloween. Must have been fourth grade. My mom ran wires through my braids. It worked pretty well.

Ylliria
May 23rd, 2006, 11:37 AM
I never noticed long hair in books as a child - though I read Little Women (somehow always imagined their hair to be BSL) and Lord of the Rings.

When I was in my late teens I read the Mists of Avalon, and really noticed the characters' hair. There were descriptions of colour, texture, length, as well as styles, combing, detangling, braiding... The front cover showed a woman on horseback, her dark wavy hair down to tailbone - which looked almost mystically long to me at the time!

Mists of Avalon for me too! This book and others novels written by Marion Zimmer Bradley really fascinated me when I was a teenager, I identified with Morgane and loved her dark hair. I remember the same front cover too, the woman on the horse worse a dark red ribbon on her forehead and in her hair which was down, I can always see her!
As a child I remember a french novel "Le roman de la momie" (a novel by a french poet of the nineteenth century Théophile Gautier) about the woman Pharaoh Taoser.

Jason
May 23rd, 2006, 12:57 PM
It was probably the Lord of the Rings, but I find the Silmarillion to be much more hairinspiring.

On a related note, I read Lord of the Flies last sommer, and it was sickening how much the author describes his hatred for long hair through that story, even if it is about a bunch of crazy kids who have better things to do--he keeps bringing it up needlesly as a symbol for all that is evil in mankind or something... quite sad...

Interesting. I can relate to both your comments. I definitely found inspiration from the long hair in Lord of the Rings which for the most part was described as long on both male and female characters. I started the Silmarillion but never finished, you've inspired me to make another attempt!

Even though it's been years since I read Lord of the Flies I still remember clearly what you're describing. Over and over again he kept talking about their hair. I found it very disturbing. I was thinking at the time that their all growing long hair would be the coolest thing about the experience.

red~dyes~back
May 23rd, 2006, 01:03 PM
little house on the prairie as well for me :)

CBG
May 23rd, 2006, 01:45 PM
Wow, very interesting answers so far.

For me, I don't recall any particular story where I *first* discovered long hair. I just remember that my best friend in preschool had beautiful, butt-length shiny black hair that I used to touch and play with, and ever since then I pictured every heroine I read or heard about with hair like my friend's.

Now, I guess you guys are my long-haired heroines while I grow my own hair out. (Lord, how cheesy was that? But it's true, so ;-p)

LaurenMarie76
May 23rd, 2006, 02:25 PM
Mists of Avalon here, too. I remember after I read it, I tried to"plait" my hair anytime I went anywhere. But more, I think any time I read a book that had a shorter-haired heroine, it threw me for a loop -- until I chopped my hair off around 20. THEN, short-haired heroines were cool!

:o) Lauren

Gladtobemom
May 23rd, 2006, 05:03 PM
Definitely:

These Happy Golden Years by Laura Ingalls Wilder

I remember being fascinated by the clothes and hair.

Shadowlee
May 23rd, 2006, 09:14 PM
It was "Anne of Green Gables" for me too. I was devastated when she tried to dye it black and dyed it green instead and had to cut it off!

KalykoKatt
May 23rd, 2006, 09:47 PM
Mine would definitely be the Little House on the Prarie series also. I read those books so many times as a kid that I wore them out. I wanted to try everything that Laura did. I think that was probably my first inspiration to want to be a teacher also.

I was fascinated that Laura's hair was to her knees, and I was so sad that they had to cut Mary's so short. I even had my mom put my braids on top of my head like Laura's for school.

Leia's_Advocate
May 31st, 2006, 11:08 AM
Another one I remember - Patricia C. Wrede's "Dealing with Dragons." Princess Cimorene's nearly floor length black braids were definitely inspirational.

Samara Morgan
May 31st, 2006, 12:16 PM
Mine would probably be Memoirs of a Geisha by Arthur Golden - Just the general beauty of it is lovely! :inlove: I always got the impression of long silky black hair in it :)...

Igor
May 31st, 2006, 12:30 PM
That would be circa 3 years ago, back when my hair was very short and I wasn’t so sure if I’d grow it out or not. I was reading some Sailor Moon fanfic with a scene where Usagi tells Haruka (Uranus) “I need to put my hair up or it’ll touch the floor”
Somehow that just really fascinated me. I knew there were people like that British lady with the hair that’s three times longer than herself, but I hadn’t really realised that “normal” people would be able to grow hair that long. It’s all very weird since I’ve had hair down to the middle of my thighs before and Usagi isn’t exactly a normal person?! It makes very little sense :lol: But somehow that line just stuck
Sadly I don’t remember the title of the fic or the author