Google

Web forums.longhaircommunity.com

View Full Version : Folks with a Widow's Peak, how do you part your hair?

LittleFlower
May 18th, 2006, 02:51 AM
Just throwing out this question. I'm not even sure if what I have qualifies as a widow's peak or if it's just an uneven hairline. I usually let my hair part where it will and it naturally parts to the left, ie. the part starts along the same vertical line where my left eyebrow begins. However, I've found that my hair looks better from the front if I part it slightly to the right. I wonder how much of this is influenced by the widow's peak...

So out of curiosity if you have a widow's peak, do you let it part naturally (if so which side does it fall on?) or do you find it more flattering to part in another direction?

TIA :smile:

HairColoredHair
May 18th, 2006, 03:43 AM
My hair parts naturally down the middle, except for my bangs which tend to part more to the left. I'm not sure if this is due to my widow's peak or the cowlick on my temple. :lol: I force it to go down the middle, or as close as it will get.

Tabitha
May 18th, 2006, 04:02 AM
I let mine just do its thing, which currently means parting on the left. A centre parting makes me look both stern and morose so this is good that it wants to do that! I have a fringe so it's not as obvious but the widow's peak is combined with a cowlick so the fringe has a tendency to form horns.

ShanaMaidela
May 18th, 2006, 04:04 AM
My hair parts on the left side. I'm not sure if this is a natural thing or because it's been parted there for 20 years. I am in the process of "untraining" it. When my hair is wet, I comb it back and clip it till it's almost dry. I want to do more updos and it is impossible to do some with my hair parting on the left side. It's only been a few days so....it's still fighting me. :evil:

DarkStrands
May 18th, 2006, 04:17 AM
My hair parts naturally in the middle and I've never been able to do anything else really so I just let it. I have bangs/fringe so my widows peak(s) are hidden but you can really see it when the bangs grow long enough and resist sitting in the middle and get parted themselves down the middle. this is why I prefer bangs.

longinthehair
May 18th, 2006, 04:41 AM
My Mom (still kickin') always made me feel lucky to have a widow's peak and said it was very speical & wonderful to have, ergo I knew it was special.
I would say part it on whatever side which gives you the most lift/height. A widow's peak helps to give height to yr. hair in front at yr. forehead. That's the great benefit! So it's probably against the way your part wd. normally fall, but I've been accenting it so long for that little bit of extra lift it gives in the front. Enjoy.
take care
-tlc

Emichiee
May 18th, 2006, 04:45 AM
What is a widows peak??

My part doesnt affect my hemline since the waist long hair only grows in the back and the front is layered and shorter.

Tabitha
May 18th, 2006, 04:47 AM
What is a widows peak??
When your hairline looks like the top of a heart-shape - like a "V" shape.

Jessie58 has one, you could see her photothread here (http://forums.longhaircommunity.com/showthread.php?t=43039) for a strikingly beautiful example.

LittleFlower
May 18th, 2006, 04:59 AM
My part doesnt affect my hemline since the waist long hair only grows in the back and the front is layered and shorter.
Oh, I meant to say hairline instead of hemline! Very sorry for the confusion. I've gone back to edit my original post. I'm glad you pointed this out for me :smile:

I'm reading all the responses, keep 'em coming!

Tsuyu
May 18th, 2006, 05:01 AM
I don't have a widows peak but do you know it is a dominant trait? Hmm. and that is just like blue eyes and 6 fingers..

Just want to say that I think widows peak look really really nice. Wish I had one!

jessie58
May 18th, 2006, 05:09 AM

Jessie58 has one, you could see her photothread here (http://forums.longhaircommunity.com/showthread.php?t=43039) for a strikingly beautiful example.Why thank you so much for that lovely compliment.
Mine makes no difference whatsoever to a part on my head. I can part it straight down the middle or on either side of my hair whether it be a part right next to the widows peak or quite far out from the middle. I believe that a cowlick is what may affect whether or not the part lies straight or flat. HTH.

aisling
May 18th, 2006, 05:25 AM
I have a slight widow's peak and it doesn't affect my part. Naturally, my hair parts pretty much in the middle but for almost 10 years I've parted it a bit too the right and it works well. My hairdresser back then (10 years ago) was actually a bit surprised how easy it was for me to change the place of the part. I still do that, sometimes it's closer to the middle, sometimes it's farther right.

roxydarnit
May 18th, 2006, 05:37 AM
I've got a very strong widow's peak - plus a couple of odd cowlicks up front.

Left to its own devices, my hair generally parts to the middle till it reaches about an inch behond my hairline then it goes haywire. I don't let it part in the middle - I have a heart-shaped face, plus the widow's peak - so it looks really, um... interesting if I wear a center-part. Instead - when I do part at all - I encourage my hair to go in the direction that one of my front cowlicks goes - a slightly off center on the right side.

R.

Emichiee
May 18th, 2006, 06:54 AM

Jessie58 has one, you could see her photothread here (http://forums.longhaircommunity.com/showthread.php?t=43039) for a strikingly beautiful example.

Oh ok I dont have that my hairline is round..^^'

shella13
May 18th, 2006, 07:18 AM
My hair likes to part in the middle, yet I don't like the way it splits my widow's peak in half-- looks funny on me.:silly: I start my part right where the peak begins in my hairline (to the left of the peak) and go diagonally straight back to my crown so that the part ends up back in the center. Does this make sense?:ponder:

I try to avoid a heavy side-part in order to keep my thickness balanced.:)

Elisabeth-Anne
May 18th, 2006, 08:15 AM
I have a slight widow's peak (it's more of a bump in my generally uneven hairline, not a pointed "V") and my hair parts naturally in the middle.

orbiting
May 18th, 2006, 08:24 AM
I have a widow's peak - just like my mom... My hair naturally parts in the middle.. when I try to switch to one side of the other it actually pulls the hair in my widow's peak..

Of course this also contributes to my hair being higher on one side than the other unless I part it NOT in the middle. If I want the sides to look even, i have to part it to the Right I think..

Feh :)

racecar
May 19th, 2006, 10:50 AM
I have a widow's peak and my natural part is off center toward the left, I think. :ponder: I used to have short Bettie bangs and a friend of mine nudged me into growing them out because I had a widows peak and how becoming that was and rah rah rah WIDOWS PEAK! So now I do feel very lucky to have it. My funky double-whorl thing in the back of my head is another matter, however. :silly:

kissedbyfyre
May 19th, 2006, 12:45 PM
I love my widows peak. :inlove: I let it part where ever it wants to. If I run my fingers through my bangs, brushing everything back and let it just fall, it always parts to the right. This is typically what I do when my bangs are getting in my face, I seem to have gotten out of the habbit of just shoving my bangs behind my ears. A part to the left just looks, WEIRD. It layes flat and gets in my face. I think I have a cow lick on the right because I get neat lift when I part there.

mira-chan
May 19th, 2006, 02:52 PM
I don't have a widows peak but do you know it is a dominant trait? Hmm. and that is just like blue eyes and 6 fingers..

Blue eyes are recessive, green and brown are dominant.

I have a widow's peak, my natural part goes down the center, but I can change my part without much problem. I get lift either way I part. I generally let my hair do what it wants or have no part at all though. I have no bangs.

lapushka
May 19th, 2006, 04:47 PM
I have a slight widow's peak also. It's barely there because I have an even hairline in front. It's more like a few hairs in the middle of my forehead stick out a bit more in this tiny tiny v, like the tip of an arrow. I don't have the heart shape in front.

I can't say it affects my part, well yes... it does. I never really liked to part my hair in the middle. With a side part no one even notices it.

cobblersmaid
May 19th, 2006, 05:13 PM
I don't have one, but my sister does. It parts in the middle.

Love Long Hair
May 20th, 2006, 02:34 AM
i have a predominant widows peak when i was young i thought it was ugly and hated it. but honestly now i have learned so much from LHC that i accept my hair as it is and like that i am NOT the same as everyone else.

Juliet's Silk
May 20th, 2006, 03:06 AM
I have a very, very slight widow's peak - it just consists of maybe 10 or 15 hairs, and it is so small that you can't see it in pictures. I love it, I'd love it to be more pronounced...

Anyway, I almost exclusively part my hair in the middle, right at the widow's peak. That's what my hair did for my whole life.
I think side parts look a bit strange with a widow's peak - the widow's peak is either hidden under the hair (which I don't like because I love mine) or it sticks out in an odd way and makes everything look unbalanced.
I think with an widow's peak, no part looks best...

Concerning genetics - my mother has a widow's peak and my brother has one too. I don't know about my father but I don't think he has one.
I didn't know that about blue eyes being recessive and green eyes dominant - that's interesting, I would have guessed it the other way round (since I thought that green eyes are much rarer and blue eyes quite common).
I found a very interesting homepage (http://www.blinn.edu/socialscience/LDThomas/Feldman/Handouts/0203hand.htm) concerning dominant and recessive traits!

jessie58, your pictures are REALLY beautiful examples for a widow's peak! That looks so lovely on you! :inlove:

mre
May 22nd, 2006, 03:01 PM
Mine tend to part to the right, about an inch from the center of the peak

I have a widow's peak, plus a "high forehead" at the corners, and two really stubborn cowlicks right in front that split in opposite directions. I grew out my bangs, after years of being called "golden arches" (picture the McDonald's "m"). :jestor: Having the part just to the side hides the drop-back at the corners, and keeps the cowlicks under control.

:smile:

-ME

ilumma
May 22nd, 2006, 04:06 PM
I think its more comfortable to go with the opposite side of my natural part--I have a tiny widow's peak. This is because my fringe on that side is rather damaged from a stylist of ages past, and I like having it covered by some nicer hair.

daeana
May 23rd, 2006, 10:59 AM
my hair parts naturally on the left, and refuses to part elsewhere. i'm not sure the widow's peak affects my part at all, though.

Gladtobemom
May 23rd, 2006, 04:53 PM
Mine always parts a little to one side then aims directly for the crown. It's off center and a little diagonal.

I can go without a part if I fasten my hair back, but when it gets a little oily it always parts in the same place.

I love my widow's peak--my husband says it makes me have a heart shaped face which he says really works with the slicked back bun styles.

I change my hair alot, but my 3rd-4th day (after CO or CWC) style is always a slicked back flattened cinnamon bun, because I oil with monoi oil, coconut oil, or OJON heavily for the last day.

Gladtobemom

AmandaPanda
May 23rd, 2006, 09:08 PM
I have one! But, I also have bangs, so you really can't tell. Anywho, my hair parts naturally down the middle, but sometimes I like wearing it parted to the right.

Love Long Hair
May 24th, 2006, 02:48 AM
i will post a picture of mine when i take my new length picture later this week!!!

woodlandnymph
May 24th, 2006, 05:17 AM
My Mom (still kickin') always made me feel lucky to have a widow's peak and said it was very speical & wonderful to have, ergo I knew it was special.

Hey, my mom makes a big fuss over my widow's peak too! :grin: She always said it was a sign of luck and beauty. And a while back, my MIL was raving about how cute it looked when I wear my hair up in a bun.

My part naturally falls in the middle, and I feel most comfortable with that sort of look.

HappyHaley
May 24th, 2006, 07:16 AM
I have a slight widow's peak and my hair naturally parts slightly to the left of center. I personally like to part it farther to the left so that it doesn't look like I just don't know how to center a part! I think it looks better on me too to have a side part, less severe.

~Haley

Rain
May 24th, 2006, 09:55 AM
I have a little widow's peak and my hair is thinner in front so I usually think it looks best with a side part. Sometimes a middle part works for me but not always. That might be because of the curliness too. My hair doesn't always want to go the same way. My oldest daughter has a widow's peak and I think it looks best with her hair parted down the middle but I also think she can part it any way she wants and still look good. The middle part (on her) showcases the peak the best, in my opinion.

Love Long Hair
May 26th, 2006, 11:01 AM
ok here is a picture of my widows peak

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v623/Smeltzer/may024.jpg