Google

Web forums.longhaircommunity.com

View Full Version : retraining the part in my hair

sixclaws
May 11th, 2006, 06:43 PM
How on earth do I go about retraining my hair from a middle part to something different? It's been parted down the middle for ages now, and no matter how often I have my hair back in a tail or braid, it always falls right back into that bloody middle part.

Any suggestions/advice?

hairymonster
May 11th, 2006, 06:49 PM
Combing your hair into a new part while it's wet after washing should help keep it in it's new position, even after it dries :)

trolleypup
May 11th, 2006, 07:31 PM
Also, expect a nasty headache after you do it. :(

MystressDeath
May 11th, 2006, 07:40 PM
I'm also trying to retrain a part, It's in the middle but kinda veers off to the side at the back, and its impossible to fix!

aisling
May 12th, 2006, 01:46 AM
Would pinning the hair in the right position while the hair is wet, help? Remove the pins (or clips) when the hair is dry.

Poppy Seed
May 12th, 2006, 03:44 AM
Don't have any solutions beyond what has already been suggested - but...I just want to let you know that you are not alone in having hair that wants to go its way, not yours, no matter what you do...

So far, the most effective method for me has been to change the parting after every wash (one the scalp hair is dry-ish). It gets more used to being changed after a while, but every morning I have check and restraighten the part. Keeping hair in updos helps to keep the part in one place too.

I have to say though, that nothing I've tried actually removes the part completely - I just cannot get it to stay without one! Which is quite annoying because there are some updos which leave little bumps of hair sticking up if you try them with a parting.

Good luck...

allege
May 12th, 2006, 04:24 AM
If your hair is anything like mine then parting it while wet won't work, even if you pin it in place. Because as soon as your hair drys the part will flip back to the center.

Hair gel might work, gel your hair into the part you want, then if need be clip it into place for day, and at night heavily gel it into the part you want before bed, so it stays. But retraining won't happen over night it might takes weeks, or a month to retrain your part.

busnutmedic
May 12th, 2006, 05:34 AM
The heachache part is can be terrible for me, especially if I put it in an updo that pulls on a new part. OUCH!

Bonnie

Dvips
May 12th, 2006, 06:10 AM
Also, once you have retrained it, the way to aviod this problem (for most people) is to use a different part after each wash.

I know that some people's hair will not lay flat when you first try to move your part, but then you have to choose: do you want to have funny looking hair for a while (I hope not too long!) or stick with this one part for the rest of your life.

For many people, making the new part when hair is wet, using some gel, and holding the hair on each side with barrettes will do the trick. Hmmm... if hats are an option, you could wear a hat over your new part. That would keep the hair laying in the new direction.

HTH some!

Dvips

ocean blue
May 12th, 2006, 06:24 AM
I had exactly the same problem! I tried for ages to get mine to move, but it just wouldn't budge. I don't like the way a middle part looks on me so I tried loads of things to coax it to one side or get rid of it altogether but it only crept back after an hour or two.

Then recently I found a really simple way that works for me - to make a wide zig-zag parting down my scalp while my hair's wet and let it dry like that. Every quarter of an hour while it's drying I re-comb it to make sure the middle part isn't sneaking back. Then when it has completely dried in that position I can comb it all back and there's no middle parting, not even a hint of one. I can put it in a side parting or leave it with no parting and it stays like that till my next wash. Plus I get a little lift on top, which is never a bad thing :smile:

spidermom
May 12th, 2006, 06:24 AM
Comb your hair straight back while it's wet, then put your hand at the very back of the top of your head and push your hair forward. If there's a place besides the middle where your hair separates, that would be the best place for a new part. You could start out by making one or two little, loose accent braids to reinforce the new part until your hair gets used to laying that way. Or as others said - gel it, pin it. I don't get headaches from changing my part, so maybe you won't either.

Fireweed
May 12th, 2006, 06:47 AM
yes, diligence in hair training.

golden_gal
May 13th, 2006, 02:00 AM
I guess you have to do it gradually, that is, part it every time you see it go back to the middle part. After a week or so it should part at the side naturally. Patience is the key!!

Good luck!!

DarkStrands
May 13th, 2006, 03:33 AM
I've never been successful at changing my middle parting. I finally stopped trying and just let me hair have it's way and I think it's happier that way. Instead I try to find styles that suit the part and my type of hair and face etc.

Cecilia
May 13th, 2006, 08:47 AM
I just wanted to say I HAVE successfully retrained my part!!!

Every night, after washing or detangling or whatever your routine is, make your new part (my new part is a little to the left of my old center part) with a comb, and make twin braids. (I also sock-curl the ends of my braids.) It is very comfy to sleep on, and my hair landed in line with the "new part" in the morning, hanging JUST RIGHT. Do this EVERY NIGHT and you will not be disappointed!! If you don't like braids, gently secure the two sides with soft scrunchies as plain pigtails.

Cecilia

zule
May 13th, 2006, 09:00 AM
What I want is for my hair to go straight back with NO part. When I comb it back wet, it has at least seven "natural" parts. I've never been able to keep a "no part" for more than a few minutes, wet or dry. Any ideas for that?

SunCat
May 13th, 2006, 04:03 PM
My hair naturally parts down the middle. I have parted my hair on the side but I get a headache from it and my scalp hurts so I just let my hair do its thing, I stopped fighting my hair 2 years ago and it is very happy now. I do have bangs and they don't part.

sixclaws
May 13th, 2006, 06:24 PM
Thanks to everyone for the suggestions, I've tried them the past couple nights that I've washed my hair, and since I've been wearing my hair up a lot lately it seems to be doing the trick.

I second (and third and forth) the annoyance of it being painful on the scalp. It's like your scalp gets used to the hair lying in one direction and then being forced into another direction makes it hurt.