Google

Web forums.longhaircommunity.com

View Full Version : Another hairstick question

Hairbear
April 14th, 2006, 02:42 AM
As a newbie hairstick user would it be best to buy a pair or would just one be okay?

tsf
April 14th, 2006, 03:16 AM
Until you get pretty good at using them, two might be better, since your do will feel more secure. I've been using them a while and do fine with 1 now. My hair is 22" long.

My first pair was a cheap pair and they were a waste of money. They were hard plastic but the end was too blunt to get it through my hair. Pointier is better. Also the ones I found at Claire's were too long and gave me the antennae look. I do best with 7" ones and the ones they had there were over 8" long.

Welcome aboard.

Elbereth
April 14th, 2006, 04:14 AM
I'd say a pair is better- if you like, with a pair you can practice making styles with just one stick, but in case you'll need both, you have them.

I agree with tsf- invest in a pair that has decent quality. The cheap plastic ones you see so much IRL are the first hairsticks I tried- and they never worked, only snapped. You'll find great hairsticks online: metal, exotic woods, bone, plain, beaded, with dangles or painted finishes... almost anything goes as long as it is sturdy, not too long (functional length of about 4-6 inches is good for many people) and smooth. France Luxe has even good quality plastic hairsticks that are NOTHING like their cheap drugstore counterparts. Prices start from around $10.

Trippy
April 14th, 2006, 06:19 AM
I have yet managed to get an updo with sticks...everyone's sigs look so pretty with them! Maybe I too need to invest in some good ones...how 'bout metal ones?

oldkathy
April 14th, 2006, 09:55 AM
My cheap ones came in pairs. I own two pair of plastic ones and one pair of metal ones. I usually use only one stick, though, or I look like I have antennae. I did purchase a nice wooden one on ebay that I love, but it is longer than I need. 5 or 6 inches is plenty. I find two sticks is best with a cinnamon bun, but one for a figure 8 or infinity bun.

Also, I find that I can use a stick from a barrette type pony tail holder when I need a shorter stick.

SilvraShadows
April 14th, 2006, 10:45 AM
I might be the odd one here... but even though I have pairs, I always use just one.

My hair is fine and thin, and short these days... 20 inches... but one works. I bend over, twist my hair into a ponytail, upright again, and turn the twisted length up and around the main tail, here is where I have ends sticking up (I like that). Now I take the stick and find the wrapped part and gently put the stick into that section, then I weave it throughout the strands going in the direction of ear to ear. Finally I find the main part of the bun on the other side, and secure it.

Works with my wooden hairpins as well.

I have never been able to figure out two! Unless I put the second one in for looks...

shrimp
April 14th, 2006, 10:55 AM
I've just ordered some cheap wooden hairsticks (seems to be the only type available here and I can't afford nice ones yet) and bought an even number but in different designs. They are all basically similar and I will wear them singly most of the time but when i want two and on days when matching doesn't matter I can wear two that are similar (same size, same material, same basic design) but different (different ends, diffferent coloured thread bits). I also have identical pins that I wear both together and singly.
Pairs are always good in case you loose one and can't be certian of finding the design again :-)

Atlantia
April 14th, 2006, 11:02 AM
I actually used to use chopsticks when I had long hair. I have several pair of Japanese chopsticks that I adore (smooth wood, pointy ends, gorgeous designs). They are pretty long, average 9 inches, but I really liked them a lot. They were also pretty cheap, since I live across the street from the Asian Market.

birdiefu
April 14th, 2006, 11:20 AM
I'm a one-hairstick girl too. I will use a second one once in a while for decoration, but it doesn't seem to add any more stability to the updo. There is no way I can do the 'weaving' with a second stick since the first one is in the way. In fact, sometimes I'm afraid the second stick will damage my hair by rubbing the strands between the two sticks even if I put it in way above the first one.

Aussiegirl
April 14th, 2006, 03:17 PM
I sometimes use 2 sticks but will often place it beside the first to avoid looking looking like antennae. The second one gives a little bit of extra security if it's needed. If I've done it right the first time one is often enough though.

NicotineDesire
April 17th, 2006, 06:29 PM
I really like using Japanese chopsticks because of the designs but you have to be really careful with the thin wooden ones, as they have a tendency to break.

HairColoredHair
April 17th, 2006, 08:10 PM
I found it easiest with two at first.... sometimes I wouldn't get it quite right with the first, but the second would be perfect... so I could pull out the first if I wanted to.