Google

Web forums.longhaircommunity.com

View Full Version : George Michael Madora salon visit recap

yseult
April 11th, 2006, 10:13 AM
Hi y'all!

I posted a few days ago about my impending salon appointment at Madora Madison Avenue and wanted to update, now that I've had a chance to assess everything.

I thought that the experience, overall, was a fantastic one-time thing that everyone should try. "One-time" because it is really expensive, and I've concluded that I could probably get the benefits of a similar treatment at home since I've got all the supplies. BUT, as we all know, it is lovely to be pampered every so often!! :wink:

Rundown of the visit:

I can't say enough about how relaxing the salon was and attentive the staff were. I went in the morning, and for awhile I was the only one there except for a really cute little girl getting her hair set for a wedding.

First, the shampooer/duster (as in, "hair dusting") lady (what to call her?), "Carla," smoothed and detangled my hair using a wide toothed comb, then twisted the strands and snipped split ends all over my head. She was really complimentary about my hair, as was my main stylist, "Valerie," who came over to introduce herself while the first stylist was working. They really appreciate long hair that's all one length.

Valerie had me stand up and did a dry trim of around one inch-- she promised not to cut more than this but it looks a bit shorter than that to me. Then I had a (very rough-- see "negatives" below) triple clarifying shampoo, after which Carla packed on the treatment masque very thick and wrapped my head in paper. After that I was put under a heat cap for an hour, then rinsed (she used a creme rinse as well) and combed out. My hair felt very soft and happy.

After this, Valerie rolled my hair in large rollers-- she was VERY good at this. I couldn't believe how far she could reach to get my three feet of hair in a roller-- she pulled the top parts straight over my head! I sat with the rollers in a dryer for over an hour, then she removed them and combed through my hair. I must say, my hair looked amazing after being set. Lots of volume at the crown, which is something I miss having all-one-length hair.

I remarked how wonderful my hair looked, and how happy I was because my boyfriend and I were having a fancy night out for our one year anniversary that evening. She decided, because I told her this, to go the extra mile and put my hair in a pretty half-up style, kind of retro-60's. I got compliments on it all day and will try to post a pic.

I also met Maria Matarazzo, the grand dame of the salon herself, after I'd been showing Valerie my Ficcare Maximas clip. She borrowed it to show Maria. (I was surprised they hadn't even seen one of these before!) I shilled for Ficcare, as usual, and promised to e-mail them the catalogue website and phone number in case they wanted to sell them at the salon. Then Maria gave me a white "Madora" detangler comb, compliments of the salon!! She was so lovely.

One of the best things about the four hours I spent there was all the compliments. I received praise on the color, strength and thickness of my hair. Both Valerie and Carla remarked on how much hair I had, which surprised me because a ton of it fell out last year. Valerie explained that at age 26 most people have one of their major sheds, which was a great relief to me.

Anyway, after the triple shampoo and no-cone treatment, my hair is looking ten times thicker than it does normally (I'm a conehead). It's quite fluffy and stands out a couple of inches from my back.

Positives:

Truly a relaxing and positive experience, for the most part. I feel great about having plain, long, all-one-length hair now-- they really make you feel beautiful. I came away with freebies: a Madora detangler comb and a sample of creme rinse. My hair looked amazing for my special night out, and the trim was a good one. I will probably shell out for trims every six months (not TWO months as they suggest... that's too often and we al know it!) simply because they are so careful with the scissors. In short, if I have to go to a salon, I will go to this one.

Negatives:

It was really expensive: $240 plus 20% tips!!! :bigeyes: I had calculated it to be about $170 before I went in ($110 treatment, $60 trim) so I had some sticker shock. I didn't say anything at the time-- just paid it-- but I didn't realize that they tack on an initial "consultation" fee ($40?) along with everything else. I suppose the consultation was my main stylist talking to me about the products and how to brush my hair, which I already knew. I did buy a $15 creme shampoo, but I'm not sure what the other fees were. In any case, I didn't complain about anything. I am very chicken at hair salons.

They really push the products there, and have the nerve to tell you to throw out all your current products and buy the whole line of theirs. Also, I felt like I knew more about long hair care just by virtue of being on LHC for a year. There is a lot of dubious science in the George Michael brochure, not the least of which is the "hundred-strokes-a-day" thing. Yeah right, like I'm going to brush my hair that much!! :silly:

The shampooer was extremely rough with my hair, and I was shocked by this. All the Madora brochures (which my boyfriend remarked looked pretty crappy for the amount of money they have you spend!) emphasize gentle shampooing. Well, I have never had such a rough shampooer. I bore it until it started really hurting, then I asked if she could be more gentle. She refused (!), saying she had to scrub this hard to keep my hair clean for the next three days. As we all know, this isn't true. I'm sure she ripped some of my hair out. I still didn't say anything, and tipped her well, but I'm thinking about e-mailing the salon.

Conclusions:

For a salon experience, it was one of the better times I've had, but in the future I'll be going back for trims only and maybe not getting shampooed-- it wasn't very pleasurable. I loved having my hair set on big rollers, but I still feel like the hood dryers were damaging, so I probably wouldn't do it again. I will definitely keep the salon in mind for fancy updos, though, since it's hard to find someone that can deal with long hair updos at other salons.

Overall, just like any salon experience, there were positives and negatives, but I feel like choosing to have the type of hair I do limits my salon choices-- so this is it. They do care about long hair there, and they are very complimentary ladies who work to have a relaxing environment in their salon, which I appreciate.

And a note on the Creme Shampoo: I like it! It seems gentle and feels very thick in my hands, but lathers really well. My hair isn't as flyaway as when using other shampoos. Time will tell, but I'm happy to find a shampoo that seems to work after searching for a replacement for COing (which was leaving my hair limp).

Morticia
April 11th, 2006, 10:49 AM
Thanks, Yseult. I was waiting to hear about your experience.

The $40 consultation fee is ridiculous. I can't believe they charged you to tell you about their products. Sorry you had to deal with that.

OTOH - I'm glad that you feel great about your hair now. I was a bit worried that you would do something drastic.

Flaxen
April 11th, 2006, 11:28 AM
It sounds like a fun day of pampering, yseult, but I'm so sorry there were some negatives. :( :flower:

I would definitely email the salon. Something isn't right. In the past, LHCers have reported that the shampooer was more gentle than they are on their own hair. That was at the Ohio salon, but still... And the extra fees, well that just doesn't seem just to not let you know ahead of time.

I know your hair looks beautiful, though, and I'm looking forward to the pictures. :smile:

Carolyn
April 11th, 2006, 12:31 PM
Thanks for sharing your day at a long hair salon with everyone. I can't wait to see your pictures. The $40 for a consultation is ridiculous. The shampooer should have respected your wish for a more gentle shampooing. Like a rough shampooing would keep your hair clean longer :rolleyes: :confused: :disbelief No I don't think so. I think you should e mail them. Perhaps they will give you a nice discount they next time. I can see going to a GM salon as maybe a once a year treat. I'm glad it was a mostly positive experience. I too like the GM products but I certainly wouldn't dump all my other products in favor of using GM exclusively. That's just nuts. I hope you enjoy your Madora comb. I love mine.

hairbrain
April 11th, 2006, 01:05 PM
I cant believe she refused to be more
gentle after you asked ! wtf ???
If she asked me for a tip I wouldve said,
"heres your tip: next time do what I ask !"

I get the same way you do in salons or anywhere
you get a service, and then have to pay afterwards.
DH thinks Im nuts but I ALWAYS ask before
getting anything done; how much is it going to be
if I do so-and-so...?
Back when I went to a salon regularly, I'd wash my
hair myself, then go in and say, "How much just for a trim, no wash?"
"I've already washed it to save you some time so its still only $$blabla, right? Like before?"

DH put the truck in for service and I asked him how much
that would be. He said he didnt know. :bigeyes:
I said, what if they do all types of work you dont want
and they try to charge you ?
His answer? I wont pay. thats all.
Hes just more assertive than I am, but I'm getting better. (i.e. bitchier) :lol:

Im glad it was relaxing for you though,
and that you liked the shampoo and got a comb !:rockerdud

cant wait to see pics ! :wink:

Laululintu
April 11th, 2006, 01:32 PM
They charged you $40 for a consultation?! :shake: That's more than I pay when I have a trim (that's including a wash and trim).

Glad to hear you enjoyed most of it though :rockerdud

bowie
April 11th, 2006, 02:00 PM
Wow--sounds like such a relaxing day. Too bad the shampoo was rough...still, sounds like a wonderful day. I hate when there is sticker shock when you go to check out. Grrrrrr. Madora Salon, NYC is still on my list of things to do--one of these days.

Your hair is beautiful even before the treatment!

Wanita
April 11th, 2006, 03:01 PM
It's interesting when different people post their GM experiences. There seems to be differences in the many GM salons around the world.

Your NY GM visit was different from my LA visit, which was different than anyone's Dallas experience or Ohio experience. I think yours might be the most expensive so far. :razz:

gypsyinamorata
April 11th, 2006, 03:39 PM
You've got such beautiful hair! Thanks for sharing your experience - it's good that you found you'd be happy going back for trims. You should definitely complain to them about the shampoo'er though...that's just wacko that she wouldn't let up even though you asked her.
~
There's a GM salon here in virginia I've been wanting to give a try...I'm waiting until I run out of products though so I can try some of theirs ;)

Tresses
April 11th, 2006, 04:01 PM
$40 for a consultation?!? I'd add a complaint about that to your email regarding the harsh shampooer. Neither of those events seem in line with my own GM experiences, nor any that I've read before. YEESH. :rolleyes:

I'm glad that you were pleased overall with your experience, yseult. It is truly relaxing to go into a salon and know that the stylist isn't out to cut off 10". :wink:

Josephine
April 11th, 2006, 04:39 PM
There's a GM salon here in virginia I've been wanting to give a try...I'm waiting until I run out of products though so I can try some of theirs

If you do decide to go, post it in the meet up folder. I'd like to (eventually) go, and maybe we can get some other VA/MD/DC LHF members to go too. PhysicsChick? :)

ginalaurie
April 11th, 2006, 06:42 PM
This reminds me of this 25 year old article I found about George Michael online a while back. In it (about 1/2 way down the page) it talks about his theory that the longer one's hair is, the stronger the root. what do y'all think? Is it true?

here's the page: http://tlhs.org/cartip.html#hometool

(sorry, you may have to cut and paste if you're interested because I don't know how to do a link. I was hoping it would "do" itself)

ginalaurie
April 11th, 2006, 06:43 PM
This reminds me of this 25 year old article I found about George Michael online a while back. In it (about 1/2 way down the page) it talks about his theory that the longer one's hair is, the stronger the root. what do y'all think? Is it true?

here's the page: http://tlhs.org/cartip.html#hometool

(sorry, you may have to cut and paste if you're interested because I don't know how to do a link. I was hoping it would "do" itself)

Hey, it DID "do" itself! cool

gypsyinamorata
April 11th, 2006, 06:48 PM
Josephine ~ You mean go as a group or go individually and just report about it in the meet-up forum? That would be cool to all go as a group! I probably won't go for awhile though, don't really need a cut/microtrim. I wonder if Physicschick has ever been there before - I got the sense that she's lived in this area awhile. Sorry, I'm hijacking...let me just say again, Yeuslt, your hair looks awesome in your pic - can't wait to see the 'after GM, hair styled half-up' pic!

yseult
April 11th, 2006, 06:48 PM
Thanks guys. I knew I should have asked up front about the cost... I learned my lesson! They don't automatically offer that info, and I guess I feel like it's tacky to ask. But I'm pretty poor so this was a good chunk of my monthly income.

They were generally really nice there, and I will go back. I might end up emailing them about the rough treatment, though. I just feel bad because they told me everyone had been working there for thirty years... I wouldn't want to get anyone fired. But I guess I need to stand up for myself at salons.

Thanks for the hair compliments too! :) I'm tryin' to get some pics from dinner Saturday night online. There aren't any from the back though, unfortunately.

Koala Kim
April 11th, 2006, 07:33 PM
Yseult- While I'm glad that your overall experience was positive- I can't believe they charged $40 for a consult. :blueeek: And the rough handling of your hair during the shampoo...I would definitely bring up both matters in my email to them.

I am anxiously awaiting the picture of your gorgeous hair. :cloud9:

Cinnamon Hair
April 11th, 2006, 08:50 PM
They were generally really nice there, and I will go back. I might end up emailing them about the rough treatment, though. I just feel bad because they told me everyone had been working there for thirty years... I wouldn't want to get anyone fired. But I guess I need to stand up for myself at salons.
If that is true, then I seriously doubt they would fire anyone based on your email. More likely they are all good friends and will either ignore or bash anyone who complains.
Anyhow, congrats on the trip to GM! What an experience! Thanks for posting about it, now the rest of us can daydream about going ourselves ;) It is certainly on my list of things to do if I'm ever in New York.