Google

Web forums.longhaircommunity.com

View Full Version : What can I do with Amla, Aritha and Shikakai?

Gaelle
April 7th, 2006, 06:03 AM
I know that a lot of people here use herbs so maybe someone will help!
My boyfriend gave me 3 boxes of these herbs and I was really impatient to try them.
I didn't want to waste them so I wanted to be sure to have great recipes before giving them a try. What would be the best recipe with Aritha, Amla and shikakai using only one of them ore more?

I've tried to find something here but I am confused and don't know how to use these herbs. The ingredients that I could add are Cassia and Fenugreek seeds.

I think indian herbs are mainly used to wash but is it possible to use them as a conditioner?

Thank you very much for your help!

naj
April 7th, 2006, 06:37 AM
The first person replying to ur post is me! What a chance!
I actually am an Indian(resident) and use these herbs myself.
Shikakai if you know is a very good hair cleanser(but many westerners dont prefer it as its too drying for blonde and light coloured hair).
Shikakai(soap pod) is a very mild detergent, gives no lather. But after you wash off, you have shinier, heavier and thicker feeling hair. Its supposed to have the right pH for hair wash.
Aritha(soapnut) is another similar herb but is a general detergent kind of cleanser, more detergent than shikakai. It lathers a little when agitated. Its also very good for washing hair(oiled most often).
Amla is an antioxidant and is used mainly to prevent premature greying. It is also used for conditioning.
Fenugreek seeds are famous for conditioning, detangling properties.
All these are supposed to promote hair growth, prevent falling, premature greying.
The most common and famous recpe used in India is by combining all these herbs with henna. Since you have cassia, you can comfortably use it.
Mix 50% cassia, 10%shikakai, 10%Aritha, 10%Amla and 10%fenugreek seeds(dry powder or paste)
Mix all the powders and make a paste with tea liquor(decoction). If you have seeds, you can even boil them for sometime, grind them to a fine paste, and use the left over water from boiling also to make the final paste.
The mix you can apply to your roots and hair and leave for about 45min-1 hr.
Then wash off. You need not shampoo as the shikakai and aritha will have doen it for you.
But if you please, do condition your ends alone(to see how well the mixture has conditioned your hair) to avoid false results.
These herbs are not used by themselves for conditioning. They have to always be combined with henna(most often).
Please do not try mixing shikakai with egg, its a disaster.
Also, Flaxen has a recipe for egg shampoo using amla and egg in the Recipe forum.
It uses
1egg
2Tbsp water
1Tsp amla powder to wash the hair. She loves it.
You could even try that.
Good luck, let me know what you do with them.
Naj.

Gaelle
April 7th, 2006, 08:25 AM
Thank you thank you thank you for your wonderful advice, recipes and answers! :inlove:

Flaxen
April 7th, 2006, 11:55 AM
I sure do love the egg/amla shampoo. :inlove:

The classic recipe that I have read is:

1 Tablespoon shikakai
1 Tablespoon amla
1 Tablespoon aritha

~Mix this with enough water to make a thin paste. You can wash all of your hair with it or just apply it to the scalp area. If you do apply it to the length, you should oil first so that it doesn't clean too much.

Have fun experimenting! :smile:

kissedbyfyre
April 7th, 2006, 01:02 PM
I make a paste out of my herbs and use it as a mask type thing for my hair.

I find I need about 5 tablespoons of the powdered herbs to about 1 cup of water/tea to make a nice paste for thick tailbone length hair.

I typically make a tea (chamomile recently) and mix that into the powdered herbs, then slather the mixture on my head, starting from my scalp and working down. I bun it and leave it on for about an hour. It works wonderfully as a wash and condition. I don't need to touch anything but the paste when I do this.

I looooove indian washes. They leave my hair silky soft with blinding shine. :cloud9:

butterflygyal
April 7th, 2006, 04:09 PM
Naj or anyone else who can help:

I have been using the three Indian herbs. Is the proper way to prepare them to do the following:

(1) Prepare a tea

(2) Pour tea onto the Indian Powder mix

(3) Let it sit for 3 hours in the boiled tea water

(4) Strain the mixture from the water

(5) Part hair in sections and put paste on hair

(6) leave on hair for 1 hour

(7) Massage and rinse thoroughly

The directions on the package are a little confusing.

Naj I also have another question for you. In your culture, do little girls get their hair cut completely off so that it grows in thicker and stronger?

Flaxen
April 7th, 2006, 05:20 PM
I think you're an expert! :thumbsup:

Rini
April 8th, 2006, 02:53 AM
You can also do Amla face-masks. Make a paste of amla and warm water and apply all over face, leave on for 10 minutes, rinse off. Mmmmmmm baby soft skin :cloud9:

butterflygyal
April 9th, 2006, 01:06 AM
I did an Amla, Aritha, Shikakai this evening after steeping them in chamomile tea. I still have not gotten all of the paste out. I rinse for a long time and there are still tiny little pieces in my hair. The water was running clear however, except for some tiny granules. What type of Henna should I use? I am African AMerican, my hair is dark brown and very thick, and I still have a little golden brown color from almost two years ago on my ends.

Is there a dark henna that I can use? How will this make my ends look?

Flaxen
April 9th, 2006, 11:22 AM
Is there a dark henna that I can use? How will this make my ends look?
Henna dyes red and red only. The color can be pushed slightly browner with certain herbs and spices, or it can be used with indigo to get brown or black.

Check out the first post in the henna sticky thread for links to tons of threads about henna. :smile: