Google

Web forums.longhaircommunity.com

View Full Version : Breast milk?!?

Afternoonrain
March 30th, 2006, 08:43 AM
Would this have any positive effects on hair?
Not readily available to most, but I'd like to use what resources I have available at my fingertips...

kimberlily
March 30th, 2006, 09:51 AM
Well, I have it readily available, but I don't think I'd put it in my hair. It might be beneficial to your scalp though, since it is full of antibodies... might be good for zapping dandruff :)

sandrak
March 30th, 2006, 09:51 AM
In your hair?? I don't know. Seems like it would make it sticky. I breast my 3 kids though and they all have beautiful hair.

icydove
March 30th, 2006, 10:02 AM
I think it would be comparable to applying cow's milk to your hair. I agree with the above posters as well.

Personally, I wouldn't waste it on my hair. But if you just have gobs and gobs of milk and plenty in the freezer, I guess it wouldn't hurt. You could always donate to a milk bank as well.

spiraleeee
March 30th, 2006, 10:39 AM
Its great on ear infections and skin abrasions. Never thought to use it for hair. Used to have some around here, but those days are long over for me:razz:

hairlover1
March 30th, 2006, 11:31 AM
i've never heard of this before, i'm currently pregnant with ( child #5 biological and 1 step-son)i've breast-fed my other four and i will with this one too, but i would not have thought to put my breast milk in my hair. where did you here this idea from?

Afternoonrain
March 30th, 2006, 11:42 AM
well..i was just looking through my refrigerator and thought to myself "what do i have...what do i have..." I don't know..im always looking for something new to try, and i thought that it would have to have SOME beneficial properties with all of the vitamins and nutrients...and it's much more nutritious than cows milk-i don't know how this would effect hair tho and was wondering if anyone had any scientific evidence or if anyone had ever heard of/tried this.

We use everything else in our hair :)

birdiefu
March 30th, 2006, 12:11 PM
I've used it! This was a while back when I was crazy with experimentation. I wanted to put some yogurt in a hair mix but realized I had none. I then eyed an extra bottle of booby-milk that was in the fridge- if you don't know, the fat floats to the top. So I ended up scooping the 'cream' off the milk and added it to my hair mix. It wasn't particularly spectacular, nor was it bad for my hair.

But fresh breast milk is great for clearing runny noses, goopy eyes, and for ouchies :inlove:. I've also used BM in soap too. And I still have gallons in the freezer :silly:. Oh, I can't donate it though, I tried looking for a place around here, but the only one was for preemies and had very strict guidelines for the pumping process and required testing beforehand.

Rini
March 30th, 2006, 05:41 PM
Well I have a funny story to add here:

One day I had to breastfeed my youngest son in the shopping mall (he just would not WAIT!!), so I found a bench seat and sat down next to an older lady. I always had a VERY strong let-down reflex, so bubs starts sucking, then lets go for a second or two and milk goes shooting out of my nipple sideways and ends up in the hair of the lady sitting next to me. I was so embarrassed and was about to apologise when I realised that she had no idea what had just happened!!! So I just continued feeding bubs as usual. She only had a fine spray of it in her hair, so it just would have dried and she'd never know......but I wonder if she noticed her hair feeling extra soft and silky after her next wash??? :ponder:

snarkylyn
March 30th, 2006, 06:05 PM
I often do yogurt treatments on my hair for the protein...this would probably be similar. My hair loves protein, if yours does too you might get a nice treatment out of it.

Awfully precious resource to use on hair, though! :lol: I'd use cow's milk or yogurt on my hair and freeze or donate the breast milk.

Edit: Rini, your story had me rolling! Some people are so funny about things; no telling if the lady would have laughed or freaked out on you.

Laoise
March 30th, 2006, 06:21 PM
Rini, I laughed out loud (and loudly!) at that story! :lol: I probably would have freaked out if it had been me, so not bringing it up was probably a good idea. :lol: :D

silkenblacksea
March 30th, 2006, 09:49 PM
:rollin: Rini, Iv'e had some shocking and embarrassing breastfeeding moments,but that takes the cake!:rollin: I'm sure the milk did her hair more good than harm8)

red~dyes~back
March 30th, 2006, 09:51 PM
Well I have a funny story to add here:

One day I had to breastfeed my youngest son in the shopping mall (he just would not WAIT!!), so I found a bench seat and sat down next to an older lady. I always had a VERY strong let-down reflex, so bubs starts sucking, then lets go for a second or two and milk goes shooting out of my nipple sideways and ends up in the hair of the lady sitting next to me. I was so embarrassed and was about to apologise when I realised that she had no idea what had just happened!!! So I just continued feeding bubs as usual. She only had a fine spray of it in her hair, so it just would have dried and she'd never know......but I wonder if she noticed her hair feeling extra soft and silky after her next wash??? :ponder:

lmao!!!!!that's too funny..i've never breast fed so i don't have some kind of fantastic squirting story to share..i'll just have to keep laughing at yours rini :lol: :silly:

Rainbow2911
March 30th, 2006, 10:24 PM
I had a HUGE oversupply with my dd and spent about a year sleeping in a puddle, so my hair got a lot of breast milk soaking! I found it quite sticky so it did cause tangles, tho if you are just soaking then rinsing that shouldn't be a problem. I don't know if it make my hair softer, but thinking back it did get more tangly around the time my supply settled down. Then again that was also about the same time as it started it's postnatal moult so there might not be a connection!
Breastmilk soap is supposed to be great if you have loads hanging around. Plus you could cook with it - ice cream, rice pudding.....?

Ruth

willowcandra
March 30th, 2006, 11:37 PM
eeew! not sure i am gonna try this one lol. ill keep my milk in my boobies and baby!

i read somewhere in a glossy mag that celebs (teri hatcher was named.) that use colostrum (foremilk) from cows as a youthfull skin treatment. read; i have soft nipples-maybe there's something to this:lol:

ammorgan
March 30th, 2006, 11:55 PM
If breastmilk hits my leg it dries and feels kinda sticky, I would imagine it would make my hair feel the same way.

Rini
March 31st, 2006, 12:16 AM
Edit: Rini, your story had me rolling! Some people are so funny about things; no telling if the lady would have laughed or freaked out on you.

Yes, well I thought that myself. You know how weirded out some ppl get when you breastfeed in public, so I thought it best that I kept my mouth shut about that little mishap 8)

MariaAZ
March 31st, 2006, 12:17 PM
I can't say I've tried breast milk in my hair, but I HAVE used regular ol' full-fat cow's milk mixed with yogurt when rinsing out henna and haven't noticed any greasiness or ill effect. I've also added good ol' cow's milk to bath water and it's left my skin nice and soft, as has using heavy cream as a face wash.

icydove
March 31st, 2006, 12:32 PM
Rini, that story is too funny!!! I would have died :bigeyes:

If any of you know the old hymn, O Thou Fount of Every Blessing, that song used to run through my mind all the time when my supply/letdown was being overactive :lol:

DEE_56652
March 31st, 2006, 12:33 PM
cold adding baby fomula to a yogart mix could get the same affect. but fresh brest milk i would keep that a beauty secret , and kept secert from others in general public.

Darscilla
March 31st, 2006, 02:09 PM
Didn't Cleopatra famously bathe in asses' (the animal, LOL!) milk? I presume 'bathe' means just body, not hair, but you never know! I bet a lot more people try this sort of thing with breast milk than you would imagine, its just not the kind of activity you broadcast :lol:

Afternoonrain
March 31st, 2006, 04:32 PM
I wouldn't let it dry on there...but maybe a rinse. Yeah..I thought twice before posting this topic, but thought I could get a break down of what hair needs to be nourished with + the super good qualities of BM and see if that would equal out to a FREE hair treatment. Buying gets a bit costly :) The fat does float to the top..maybe I can try this..maybe not. If anything fantastic happens I'll let you all know...if not, well then that's that.

Adeye
April 1st, 2006, 09:03 PM
Don't have any ideas about the breast milk... If I had a supply on hand (no babies here), I might try it :ponder:. If you try it, make sure to post and let us know how it went! :)

Rini,
:spitting: I was rolling at your story! I think you did the right thing though, I wouldn't have said anything either! :D

gunjee
April 3rd, 2006, 07:59 AM
I don't have any breastmilk anymore either to try it with, but I remember breastmilk being sticky and sweet, so it would have the same effect as putting sweetened evaporated milk (like from the can) in the hair. I think all the times I was breastfeeding, I didn't sit next to anyone, so squirting someone else wasn't a possibility. I don't think my husband even sat next to me anytime that I was breastfeeding. I squirted my baby boy in the eyes pretty often though, and it didn't have any ill effects. I can't imagine with all the trouble it is to pump milk, my using it as a hair rinse. I do have a can of formula the formula company sent me that is 2 years old that I never used and thought I would add to the bathwater for a moisturizing treatment. I added it to my baby's bath because he has dry winter skin bordering on excema. (My daughter had excema, so I know it's not quite that right now) It didn't effect him one way or the other. Maybe I should have used more. I used 2 scoops to a tub of water up to his belly button. I have no idea what it would do for hair because he doesn't like getting his hair wet at all, so mermaid soaks are out. I haven't tried it on myself. I'm thinking of getting goat milk soap for him though. That's supposed to be good for dry itchy skin, isn't it? Meijer's sells it.

princess
April 3rd, 2006, 08:55 AM
Breastmilk is used in alternate medicine in Ayurveda as some herbs are mixed with Breastmilk to be applied externally. But for hair ---- the first time I am hearing of it. Might as well try cows milk or egg. Should be having same effect. Rather than taking the trouble.

eiyela
April 3rd, 2006, 09:03 AM
eeew! not sure i am gonna try this one lol. ill keep my milk in my boobies and baby!

i read somewhere in a glossy mag that celebs (teri hatcher was named.) that use colostrum (foremilk) from cows as a youthfull skin treatment. read; i have soft nipples-maybe there's something to this:lol:

Nonononono... Colostrum is supposed to be eaten! It's considered a delicacy here. Never particularily liked it, though.:wink:

princess
April 3rd, 2006, 09:53 AM
Colostrum is delicacy in the part of the world where I came from too. I too never particularly liked it. But to use it on the hair --- something new to me. Rather stick to the herbs and cow's milk.

Parthenia
April 3rd, 2006, 10:10 AM
Rini, that's hilarious! Thanks for making my day!:spitting:

I used to and still get breastmilk in my hair all the time from my nurse-till-we-explode dd's. I was once showered with it. I was at the LL Bean store in Freeport ME, and my 1st dd was about 3 mos old. She was very hungry, it was very hot, and she just nursed and nursed and nursed. When she was finished I burped her and snuggled her. Then, for some silly reason, I picked her up over my head and *SPLASH*! I was covered in a huge downpour of regurgitated breastmilk. Not an experience I wish to repeat. I'll save it for cuts and pink eye from now on.