Google

Web forums.longhaircommunity.com

View Full Version : "today show" hair styles

nick11082001
March 20th, 2006, 04:17 AM
i was just watching the Today Show and they're talkin about spring hair styles and sayin its all about chopping your hair off. why cant people be happy with long hair, its beautiful, i hate seeing the people they makeover, they have beautiful long hair, and then they cut it all off, and honestly it looks horrible.

cichlid
March 20th, 2006, 04:49 AM
Oh, well...just makes the long haired people that much more awesome. I doubt many will just chop off their hair. It probably won't be a fad...much like the curly fad. Everyone just went right back to their straighteners. At least where I am located. :rolleyes:

justgreen
March 20th, 2006, 05:12 AM
I don't watch the Today Show any longer. I quit the day Ann Curry had her hair chopped for LOL.

I also sent the Today Show a letter to that effect.

Sharon
March 20th, 2006, 05:21 AM
I don't watch the today show eather. In fact I don't watch makeover shows period. It seems as if the only things a hairstyleist does anymore is cut and color. When there is so much more a person can do with their hair.

ginalaurie
March 20th, 2006, 05:53 AM
Not only is "the today" show guilty of that, but "oprah" is too. They'll take someone with long, beautiful hair and chop it off, at least, shoulder length. Then every one will cheer and "ahh" when, in my opinion, most of the change comes from the new clothes and make-up. Also, I wonder how those ladies are going to feel on Mon morning before work when they're trying to recreate that short do. That's one thing I really appreciate about longer hair. You can devote as much or as little time as you want in the mornings.

mostylist
March 20th, 2006, 06:24 AM
The people they cut and color are hair handicaped, they turn to people on these show to help them, any thing they do to them is an inprovement to them.
also the people get a free cut and or color. The one lady on the Today show today was over highlighted, they start out with some then when the hair grows out the add more and more,next thing their blond not highlited

nick11082001
March 20th, 2006, 07:52 AM
yeah, i dont usually watch the today show, but happened to be flipping channels and saw it today.

CurlyBrunette
March 20th, 2006, 08:00 AM
Oh, well...just makes the long haired people that much more awesome. I doubt many will just chop off their hair. It probably won't be a fad...much like the curly fad. Everyone just went right back to their straighteners. At least where I am located. :rolleyes:

Personally, I am not a fan of LOL so I didnt watch the TODAY show when Anne cut her hair. I have changed the way I look at long hair over the past month due to some happenings in my life. I have come to realize that although I love long hair in all its glory, it doesnt make me MORE of anything by having it. I am the same person underneath it all and if people chose not to see that or look beyond my hair, long or short, then thats their loss. In my opinion if you want short hair then cut it. If you want long hair, grow it but please dont think your better in anyway, be it prettier, sexier, or more attractive than a short haired person. Since I am a curly too I have to say that I dont think curly is a FAD. When I wore my hair long I hardly straightened it. Maybe 4 times a year. Being curly (CurlyBrunette) is what I am and I will always be) I mean no offense with this post but just pointing out how some views are just wrong. Even though I no longer have my long hair I am the same person underneath. I even think I am more attractive on the inside now than I was before on the outside.:twocents:

kc
March 20th, 2006, 08:10 AM
Curlybrunette - I couldn't agree with you more. Growing up, my mother always use to say to me, "it's not what you look like on the outside, it's how you look inside that matters - pretty is, what pretty does." I understand that everything that you have in life can be taken away from you at any time - including your appearance, due to illness, etc. Your hair is not YOU. I could tell you today that if my daughter (who is 9) were to get an illness and want my hair for a wig, I would give it to her. Do I love my hair? Yes, but I also know that my hair doesn't make me who I am. I have seen very beautiful women before (I use to model). Yes, they were beautiful outside, but not inside, because some had attitudes and could be very nasty. Is that true beauty - indeed not. Curlybrunette - you are a true beauty! :grin:

SchnauzerMom
March 20th, 2006, 08:24 AM
I used to watch make over shows but stopped. Sometimes they make people look better. But usually they just look fashionable rather it suits them or not. They almost always cut long hair. It's almost like it's against the law to have long hair.

dancingbarefoot
March 20th, 2006, 08:30 AM
In my opinion if you want short hair then cut it. If you want long hair, grow it but please dont think your better in anyway, be it prettier, sexier, or more attractive than a short haired person.

Hear, hear. :rockerdud

Similarly, threads where someone complains about being pressured about cutting hair short often turn into threads where they are pressured to keep it long. So the advice about being true to yourself needs to go both ways. :wink:

DEE_56652
March 20th, 2006, 08:42 AM
i did not see the today show but i watched head to toe last night, they are so bad first show the one gals faid they did bad dye job. the next show the made the two friends look just like each other. same cut & color. i think these people have no imagination just what they learn in school.

Rotch
March 20th, 2006, 01:30 PM
:cool: Wow, I almost didn't read this thread, thinking, "Here they go again, more exploitation of women to increase ratings, and psychological justification of their decision to celebrate the heinous Locks of Love organization earlier this month." Of course, that suspicion was true, but for me, the discussion has taken an interesting turn.
Part of the reason that I enjoy this forum is that it is predominantly respectful. I do not believe that any members see the growing of hair as giving a person extra human value. Heck, everyone in my family has had short hair at some point in their lives. It didn't change who they were! I think of long hair as simply the most incredible beauty accessory that most women can have. But, there are plenty of shorter styles that are very pretty. I understand how some women get the urge to try something different, believe me.
Even *without* hair, I think women are beautiful. No, I don't *like* it if it is by choice, but it's not a big deal to me. If DW lost or cut her hair, I wouldn't be happy about that per se, but I'd get with the program and try to have a little fun with the new reality. Almost two years ago, one of our best friend's wife had to have a brain operation, and her hip-length *awe-inspiring* hair had to be shaved. A shame, absolutely, but it's the most wonderful thing to see her without pain in her eyes! (No, I don't know if she's growing it again. Haven't seen her in a year.) But yes, her inner beauty shines through, and she remains stunning outwardly as well.
Yeah, I know I engage in hyperbole here sometimes, and YES, my heart sinks when I see that Rapunzelesque hair has disappeared, but life is about cherishing moments, and enjoying the people who share the journey. Part of me wishes the joyful slices of life could last forever, so symbolically, when a woman cuts her gorgeous hair, it is a poignant reminder that *everything* passes. Call me a hopeless romantic, but I wouldn't change that part of me if I could. :grin: Blessings, Bob

cichlid
March 20th, 2006, 02:50 PM
Somehow everyone seems to love to mistuderstand me. I should just stop posting. :wail: It's like everyone is anti-Elizabeth. Afterall everything I say is just stupid and who cares...I talk fashion wise and people don't get fashion. People artificially curled their hair for awhile then all of a sudden you just see the straightened hair. Whatever.

Nay7
March 20th, 2006, 03:49 PM
I get what you were saying cichlid. Last year the trend was curly ...:flowers:

CurlyBrunette
March 20th, 2006, 04:09 PM
Oh, well...just makes the long haired people that much more awesome.

This is the quote I was responding to cichlid and I am sorry that you are taking it so personally. I took it personally because recently I had to part with 31" of hair and I feel that I am just as special with my short hair as I was with my long, thats all I meant. I read your journal and I am sorry you think that we are anti-Elizabeth because I dont think thats the case. I have nothing against you at all, I just want others to know that hair doesnt make someone anything other than someone with long hair. These are normal discussions that have disagreements and we all get involved in them. That doesnt mean I dont like someone because I disagree with them. Please dont feel this way:flowers:

eucalyptus
March 20th, 2006, 04:18 PM
I agree with just about everything I've read on this entire thread. To begin with, I don't think that women should be pressured into cutting off a part of themselves just because some fashion expert thinks its somehow "better" when it's short. I think many women who are made over aren't even presented with the option of letting their hair be long, and often the color or texture is changed. I think that many women look great with long natural hair, and fashion experts don't see the beauty in this, and just want to chop away.
However, I also agree with the fact that the length of your hair doesn't make you somehow "better" than anyone who chooses to keep their hair short. Hair is a completely physical aspect of a person, and whether they want a baby bottom bald head or hair that drags behind them is the choice of the individual, and surely no one should look down on another for having a certain hairstyle. I just find it somewhat disrespectful when some stylist tells his or her "victim" (sometimes) that she has to have highlights or a certain cut or whatever, and doesn't present her with any other options.

Netra
March 20th, 2006, 04:19 PM
I didn't see the makeover show but I did watch when Anne cut her hair off. I loved her beautiful long hair but I also love her new cute hair cut. Both look great on her.

I agree that some people who are made over are totally hair handicapped and need a good lesson in cut and colour. Many of the makeovers turn out to be a good thing. Some people have styles (or non styles) and/or colour jobs that don't suit them and the makeovers can be a good thing for them.

I am also of the opinion that just because a stylist cuts off long hair doesn't necessarily mean they don't appreciate long, beautiful hair. I think they are very creative and long hair is just an empty canvas to them, the foundation from which they can create something else beautiful.