Google

Web forums.longhaircommunity.com

View Full Version : Hexed Henna

Ytak
March 19th, 2006, 05:07 AM
Hexed Henna

Yes, my first real hair henna was HEXED. Just where did I go wrong? First things first, had all items needed, prepared my mix, let it sit in controlled temperature setting, and had reserved help on stand by. Ready…-CHECK……Set…..CHECK…..Go! Hexing Begin, my mix was to dry and I didn’t fully realize this until I had all my mix on my head. Okay, not a catastrophe, I will mist hair with spray bottle of warm water after application and prior to head wrap. As “WE” were applying I keep noticing how bad my hair was wadding up or tangling up and tried to instruct with visual and verbal instructions to my “Help.” Note to self, communication break down, either we are saying the same thing only stated with different terms OR we are completely off. WHO is speaking a foreign language? Before even one section of my hair was done…..off trots my help. Now I am behind, behind, behind schedule, my son is due to wake up any moment. This is not good, at four years old and the mess I’m make slopping on my mix will equal Total DIY House Make Over. Yes, he LOVES to paint…everything he is not choosy. Help must be lost in space because they don’t return for follow or even how yeah doing. Panic, son is awake and looking for mom! No time to try and moisten mix TERRIFIED that the wads of tangled hair will break while waiting, damage control, rinse all my mix out. As I watched my beautiful coloring go down the drain, I try to console myself. One, I like the mix, Two, next time add more moister prior to application, Three, no help. Four, son not at home. Oh! And Five, I have enough henna to repeat. One the bright side, I didn’t loose my hair, my son didn’t paint anything, and I have learned a valuable lesson about whom I request help from. Until we meet again henna, I will be thinking about you.

ringuhair
March 19th, 2006, 05:56 AM
I'm so sorry your henna experience did not go as planned :grouphug:. Your post makes me grateful to have a friend who agreed to henna my whole head (it must've taken two hours!), and come back the following day to apply indigo, without even complaining :inlove:. I hope you find a trustworthy person to do this for you. If you lived in Montreal, I'd send my friend off to your place or do it myself :D

Koala Kim
March 19th, 2006, 06:33 AM
The best made plans...:lol:

Ytak- while it does take some time to apply henna, after awhile it becomes fast and not nearly as messy. When I started using henna, Hubbs applied it. It took forever and was very messy. I decided to try it myself one day. Each time, I got better and faster at applying it. I can now do my whole head in about 15 minutes with minimum mess. :rockerdud
So- you may want to try applying it yourself. Just make sure your DS isn't there to fingerpaint the henna. :wink:

Ytak
March 19th, 2006, 08:05 AM
Your hair is Gee-orgeous! I can almost hear the sobbing of the flat irons.

Yes, I would take your offer of your friend and owe you both. Updated news, after my hair dried there is some color. It covered, or at least tinted the gray and the sun bleach ends. Plus it is very shinny!!

Ytak
March 19th, 2006, 08:13 AM
The best made plans...:lol:

Ytak- while it does take some time to apply henna, after awhile it becomes fast and not nearly as messy. When I started using henna, Hubbs applied it. It took forever and was very messy. I decided to try it myself one day. Each time, I got better and faster at applying it. I can now do my whole head in about 15 minutes with minimum mess. :rockerdud
So- you may want to try applying it yourself. Just make sure your DS isn't there to fingerpaint the henna. :wink:

How long should I wait to try the henna again? Nice hair sticks and hair color!:) I think I will try it by myself next time. We have lived here almost a year and I haven't really meet any people. I have been staying home with young Picasa. While planning a head, I did buy a $1.oo shower curtain liner and used it on the floor and cut a piece to make a cape. Diffently will do that again. Oh, I just a whole bottel of VO5tea towards the end of my rinseing and my hair has shine and is soft. :) Gotta keep looking for the positives!

naj
March 19th, 2006, 08:42 AM
These are all teething troubles. ((((((Hugs))))) to you. But im sure you would consider this a good learning experience.
Henna is a veryvery messy stuff. I have staretd it a month age and still a staretr...having lot of problems. My mom does the henna job for me and i bet she hates it.
I have never tried doing myself, except the canopy, but i m sure i cant manage it all alone. Im too little with too much hair.
Good luck to you and do plan out things better next time. Happy hennaeing.Naj.

Ytak
March 19th, 2006, 08:48 AM
These are all teething troubles. ((((((Hugs))))) to you. But im sure you would consider this a good learning experience.
Henna is a veryvery messy stuff. I have staretd it a month age and still a staretr...having lot of problems. My mom does the henna job for me and i bet she hates it.
I have never tried doing myself, except the canopy, but i m sure i cant manage it all alone. Im too little with too much hair.
Good luck to you and do plan out things better next time. Happy hennaeing.Naj.

Thanks for the hugs. I SEE you only have 7 more post until you reach 100!!!! Let the celebration begin :)

HennaDancer
March 19th, 2006, 10:05 AM
I do my henna myself, and it's actually pretty easy and not terribly messy. My hair is classic length and it takes me maybe twenty minutes including the shower first. I put a link to my method in my signature. It has pictures, too, in case that helps.
Your henna for hair should be somewhere between toothpaste and yogurt consistency. If you pick up a glop of it and turn your hand sideways, after a couple of seconds, it should fall off your hand after a couple seconds in one big glop, leaving a sort of fringed edge behind. if it's not glopping properly, add a teaspoon of water at a time until it does.

ringuhair
March 19th, 2006, 10:32 AM
Awww, thank you! If the we end up in Manchester we'll take care of that for you - but you have to put up with our never-ending babble! I'm glad you got some shine and color... I don't feel qualified to tell you how long you should wait to reapply but I guess it all depends on how drying the henna mix was for your hair.

Koala Kim
March 19th, 2006, 11:05 AM
How long should I wait to try the henna again? Nice hair sticks and hair color!:) I think I will try it by myself next time. We have lived here almost a year and I haven't really meet any people. I have been staying home with young Picasa. While planning a head, I did buy a $1.oo shower curtain liner and used it on the floor and cut a piece to make a cape. Diffently will do that again. Oh, I just a whole bottel of VO5tea towards the end of my rinseing and my hair has shine and is soft. :) Gotta keep looking for the positives!
Thank you for the compliment. :flowers:

You can henna again as soon as you like. Some people do it once a week, some once a month- just depends on the individual. :grin:
I'm glad you got some shine and color. :sun:

Both HennaDancer & Ember_wife have tutorials (with pictures :grin: ) on how to apply henna. :flowers:

intensity_too
March 19th, 2006, 01:29 PM
Koala Kim-
I LOVE LOVE your hair color.

Ytak-
I think you got all the answers you needed. There is a slight learning curve when first applying henna. After my first time, the bathroom looked like mud wrestling had gone on in there. Now, I can get it all down in 20 minutes with minimal drips.

Oh, and I have a 4 year old son as well. When I have my henna in, he calls me "diarrhea head" Nice huh??