Google

Web forums.longhaircommunity.com

View Full Version : Wavy's and Brushing

Soulscribe66
February 25th, 2006, 10:40 AM
I have a question. Since joining LHC I stopped brushing my hair. Mainly because the brush I have is one of the brushes with little balls on the ends of the bristles (or are they plastics?). I can't remember which thread said that they can be bad on your hair. It was an very good decision as I have cut my breakage by more than 1/2 I'd say. But I miss brushing!

Do any of you 2a or b/C/iii brush your hair? If so, what kind of brush are you using? Thanks!

Koala Kim
February 25th, 2006, 10:49 AM
Seamless combs all the way! :rockerdud

I have tried on and off to use a BBB (boar bristle brush) since it's supposed to be better for your hair. Nope- not happenin'. :lol: Hair turns into a frizzfest. :silly: Even with the addition of a light oil- hair would still want to frizz on me.

Dulci
February 25th, 2006, 10:55 AM
Those little ball-tipped brushes were murder on my hair too.

You might like a Traditional Denman brush (http://ballbeauty.com/dentrad.htm), they feel wonderful on your scalp. :inlove: I have the chrome handled one, my daughter has the Candy Stripe. Sally's Beauty Supply usually carries the plain black ones.

shella13
February 25th, 2006, 11:09 AM
I use a brush, but only on 3rd or 4th day hair. By then my waves are falling out and some of the natural oils are settling in. I just love the way it feels on my scalp!:inlove: It does make it look kind of frizzy, but I kind of run my hand down behind the brush, smoothing it down. I like to give a good but gentle brushing before a wash-- it guarantees no tangles and helps to loosen up any little flakeys on my scalp. Other than that I only use a wide tooth comb.:wink:

I wish I could show you my brush-- I bought it from Avon 15 years ago! It's a black paddle brush, the head is oval shaped with the red padding and skinny black bristles. I guess it's similar to a BBB, but maybe not as dense. I've had it so long and thankfully have been able to keep up with it. I remember when I first ordered it it said it was for thick hair and would help tame frizzies. It does as long as I use it right.:)

Maybe I can get a picture of it.....

HermioneHair
February 25th, 2006, 11:12 AM
I have 2b hair, and I still brush (unless I want my hair to look really wavy, but I can't go long without brushing). I used to use a Denman brush, and I loved it, but it broke and then melted (still a good brush, it was my fault). The place where I got it stopped carrying them, so then I bought a fake Denman ($3) at Walgreens, and I do like it, but it's a little stiffer, so I have to be gentler on my scalp. Before that I used a Body Works brush with the little balls on the bristles, and I liked that, it was very soft on my scalp, but my hair was too strong for it, so all the bristles fell out or were bent. I don't think it pulled my hair out much, but I don't remember. I've heard that wooden-bristle brushes are really good, too. You might look into getting one of those.

Delila
February 25th, 2006, 11:37 AM
I've been experimenting with the whole brush/no brush/comb only thing ever since I started posting here last spring.

I think I've decided that my scalp is happiest if I don't brush, even though it does feel good. I also think my hair has less breakage, even if I restrict my brushing to high quality BBBs and to using them only to brush my scalp, not my length.

I haven't used a brush in ages, just finger combing to get tangles gently out of wet hair, then seamless wide toothed combs only on dry hair.

I think it's going to take a while for me to be able to tell if my breakage issues are helped at all, but so far so good.

birdiefu
February 25th, 2006, 11:50 AM
I brush once in a while, but not as much as before I came to LHC. I usually comb with a seamless Creative or horn comb, though. I have a Denman- the plastic kind with no balls on the tips- it's very gentle for me. I also have a few BBBs, but I only use them when I'm not going to be out in public, since they really slick my hair down. I might use the denman every couple days, BBB once a week or less.

Kris
February 25th, 2006, 12:02 PM
I haven't brushed my hair in years literally. I have for as long as I can remember used a wide tooth comb. Recently I got a Conair shower comb for detangling in the shower. What a difference it has made already just detangling IN the shower.

lh1299
February 25th, 2006, 12:35 PM
i know brushing is bad for my hair, but sometimes im in a big hurry so i use one anyway, my hair looks good for the day, but i really pay for it the next day with very frizzy hair but when i use my wide tooth combs i notice a real difference within a week. but sometimes i miss brushing too

Anadyomene
February 25th, 2006, 12:56 PM
I use a wide toothed seamless comb for my hair when it is wet, but I love my BBB and my hair loves it too it is so gentle and I find that it gives my hair soo much shine and when I find any tangles not many generally but when I do I just use my fingers to untangle them.
Everyones hair likes different things.:grin:
BTW my waves generally seem to hold up to my brushing.

eucalyptus
February 25th, 2006, 01:29 PM
My hair has been acting 2a/2b recently (the amount of waviness is completely unpredictable), and I use a shower comb to detangle, and a few strokes with a BBB on non wash nights to redistribute oil. I haven't brushed in a while and personally, I find the change to be refreshing, and better on my hair.

Wikky Grrl
February 25th, 2006, 01:39 PM
I quit using the plastic style when I started reading here.

I still use my BBB's but not everyday. The main reason I quit using the BBB's is that in the dryness of my climate, the resulting static electricity would cause instant snarls and attract every bit of lint in the vicinity!

Now I wait a few days after shampoo for the oils to re-accumulate or only use the BBB's in conjunction with oil application.

I find using Ric's combs with hair cleansers/ products that WORK for my hair to be the best. The waves seem less inclined to dissolve into what I always think of as "frothy hair" a.k.a. BIG HAIR. :) I really think I lose less hairs now and my hair feels thicker too.

tsenglish@ns.sy
February 25th, 2006, 01:49 PM
I don't brush or comb dry at all on wash day, seamless comb after washing then no touchy-woutchy. second day i can usually get away with finger combing to remove any tangles. day 3 and after i need to seamless comb. i have a bbb but i havent used it in ages since my hair looks pretty bad after:grin: , feels good though! but the ends get too flyaway. i am 2b-c with a few 3a on a good day.

roxydarnit
February 25th, 2006, 04:17 PM
Mostly - I don't brush. I use a wide tooth comb or hair pick.

What brushing I do is with a mixed boar bristle and nylon (straight BBB just doesn't work for me...) and it's usually just to spread oils, smooth a style or (I love this feeling) brush right before washing - but then I'm getting into the scalp - not my ends...

MariaAZ
February 25th, 2006, 04:33 PM
I started brushing my hair at least once a day a few months ago, after many years of wide tooth combing only. I haven't noticed an increase in breakage, though I also haven't noticed any positive changes that couldn't be attributed to a few other changes I've also instituted. The brushing definitely pulls out my waves though, and for this I may consider not brushing as much.

One thing I've found that helps the static problem is to mist my brush lightly with a weak vinegar rinse (maybe 1 tsp or so vinegar in 8 oz water). When I do this, I don't have any problems with static.

Soulscribe66
February 25th, 2006, 04:58 PM
Vinegar rinse, huh? I will try that because I love brushing and hate static. Thanks.

By the way, awesome whippet. Very sweet face!

zule
February 25th, 2006, 05:13 PM
I always brushed with my BBB because that's all I knew to do. Of course, when my hair was wet, I used a wide toothed detangler. But I thought brushing was for everything else.

Coming here exposed me to the idea of never brushing. I thought it was odd at first, but from the beginning, I liked it. My curl/waves weren't pulled out, etc. Now, if I brush at all, I do it before a hair washing.

darkwaves
February 25th, 2006, 05:18 PM
I don't brush anymore. BBBs make my hair flat and frizzy, and plastic no-static brushes pull out the curl, and pouf my hair. (I like the feel of brushing, though, so I'm always tempted to try again!)

For me, the less handling the better. I have fine hair and lots of it, and it likes to fly. A few months ago, I took some natural, combed and brushed pictures (http://forums.longhaircommunity.com/showpost.php?p=603489&postcount=18) , that kind of show what happens to me.

Hope you find what works for you.

DMARTINEZ
February 25th, 2006, 05:28 PM
I hardly ever brush, for one a BBB cant go through my hair very easy and
just causes static. If I do want to brush, I just use my Goody brush for thick
hair, it has ball tips,but it feel good. I dont do this often. Its mostly wide tooth
seamless combing for me, and scalp massages.

Deb

WavyGal
February 25th, 2006, 08:40 PM
I do not brush because it pulls out the waves/curls and my hair poofs out like crazy. I use a wide tooth comb and comb in the shower with conditioner in.

GingerSnap
February 25th, 2006, 09:02 PM
I'm definitely a wavy, though I still haven't decided which level of wavi-ness I am. I use a brush whenever I feel like having straighter-hair or whenever I feel like sitting at my dressing table, enjoying brushing my hair. If I want to play up my waves and the few spiral curls I have underneath, I use a wide-toothed comb in the shower and plop to dry, with no brushing at all.

When I brush my hair, I use either a Boar Bristle Brush or a Denman brush. I tend to use a BBB when I feel like having fun brushing my hair and a Denman brush as a tool for straighter hair.

mira-chan
February 25th, 2006, 09:27 PM
I have never brushed until I found this site, always combed. I have a BBB but I rarely use it. It doesnt really go through my hair and leaves it a bit fizzy. My hair is 2a or so.
Boxwood combs tend to stop the static.

Shell
February 27th, 2006, 08:30 AM
I did comb only and finger comb only for about a month. It was definitely better for keeping my waves, but I really noticed how dry the ends got. Now, I comb in the shower on wash day, don't comb at all (if the curls stay in) the first day, then comb the second day (unfortunately sometimes I break down and comb the first day if it's dry out and my curls fail anyhow--horn comb), and bbb the second night and third and fourth days. So far this seems to work the best. I really need the redistribution of sebum that I get from the bbb.

Have you tried scritching? This helps the scalp. Take a comb (I use my horn comb or wooden comb) and gently scratch all over your scalp using a back and forth motion (only 1/8-1/4 of an inch motion). Always scritch towards your crown. When you do the back lean over. I then follow up with bbb, but you don't have to.

Adyta
February 27th, 2006, 09:05 AM
I vary between using my fingers and a comb to detangle my hair. Brushing my hair makes it unmanageable and frizzy.