Google

Web forums.longhaircommunity.com

View Full Version : Hibiscus shampoo

OriginalKat
February 13th, 2006, 05:59 AM
I went to a plant thing yesterday and the lady showed us how to make hibiscus shampoo. I just tried it. You just take some hibiscus flowers. Take the green stem part off. Put the flowers in a food processor, add water, blend up. Strain the mixture through a strainer or a piece of a tshirt. Tshirt works better. Squeeze the tshirt. Wash your hair with it.

ChloeDharma
February 13th, 2006, 06:07 AM
So have you used it yet? How did it turn out? I have rosehip and hibiscus infusion that i sometimes use as a rinse, i'm thinking of using it as the water part of my leave in, along with calendula maybe.

Snowymoon
February 13th, 2006, 06:20 AM
And it cleanses?? :bigeyes:

SunCat
February 13th, 2006, 07:49 AM
And it cleanses?? :bigeyes:

That is what I was thinking too. I have used hibiscus as part of my ACV/herbal rinse but didn't like the red tones I was getting from it.

smiles
February 15th, 2006, 03:53 PM
And it lathers! :grin: I'm glad you tried Hibiscus. It's one of my favourite herbs.

When I was a kid, there were huge Hibiscus bushes in our house. Me ad my cousin used to make a paste of Hibiscus leaves and flowers and apply on our hair and leave it on for about an hour or so and then wash it off. My hair was at its best those days!

Over the past few years, I've used Hibiscus flowers and leaves in my SHiF (Shikakai+Hibiscus+Fenugreek) herbal wash and it cleansed and conditioned my hair!

The ratio I used to make this powder was (2 kg Shikakai + 2 kg hibiscus leaves and flowers and 200 gm Fenugreek) plus two handfuls each of holy basil, neem leaves (to prevent the powders from gettign spoilt). I boil about 1/2 quart water and remove this utensil from the stove and then add about 4 tbsp of the SHiF powder and make a paste. When it cools down, I use it to wash my hair. IT worked great! Left my hair so soft and silky and also removed the oil.

Somehow, when I tried the same with store bought S, Hi and F powders, it jus didnt work!

Snowymoon
March 10th, 2006, 06:07 AM
You mean the hibiscus alone will cleanse??? :bigeyes:

I may have to try this. :lol:

Murbella
March 10th, 2006, 06:59 AM
Over the past few years, I've used Hibiscus flowers and leaves in my SHiF (Shikakai+Hibiscus+Fenugreek) herbal wash and it cleansed and conditioned my hair!

A newbie here - very interested in herbal washes...

the recipe looks very interesting - I know very little about these herbs - will they have any impact on my hair colour?

any direction on where the ingredients can be bought would be highly appreciated (i'm in Canada)

smiles
March 10th, 2006, 09:44 AM
A newbie here - very interested in herbal washes...

the recipe looks very interesting - I know very little about these herbs - will they have any impact on my hair colour?

any direction on where the ingredients can be bought would be highly appreciated (i'm in Canada)

I will be moving to Canada by this month end! :grin: So, I really have no clue where you can find this there.

No, these 3 herbs dont have an impact on hair color. Fenugreek is supposed to darken your hair to a small extent, only if used in hair oils or final-rinses which you just leave on... When you are applying it and washing it away, I dont think it will darken. Shikakai and Hibiscus arent darkening either, if you use it as a wash.

I have given this powder to some blonde friends and they didnt note any hair color change.

I bought the ingredients from India and dried these in the sun once again before grinding them (in industrial grinders specifically meant for herbal hair wash). I also tried the same thing with store bought powders (powders from Indian stores) and they sucked! Also, the hibiscus leaves and flowers are in the proportion (Leaves : flowers = 1&1/4 kg: 3/4 kg)... I couldnt find any hibsicus leaf powder in the stores...

If you find really good quality of these herbs from stores, then it might just work...

Dulci
March 10th, 2006, 10:20 AM
...any direction on where the ingredients can be bought would be highly appreciated (i'm in Canada)

My grocery store caters to a large Hispanic population, they sell dried hibiscus flowers in the produce section (it's called Jamaica Flowers, not pronounced like the island, they make iced tea with it.) Middle Eastern groceries would carry hibiscus too, they make iced tea with it but call it Karkaday. It's very good, it tastes like red koolaid LOL. :jestor:

wonderlywroughte
March 10th, 2006, 12:47 PM
I have hibiscus POWDER, would that work as well?

Pug
March 16th, 2006, 08:42 PM
wow. you all have some really good, ideas for hair care.

hairymonster
March 17th, 2006, 01:03 AM
I've always wanted to use hibiscus on my hair, except I've never seen the flowers on sale before. I can't wait to try it though. Maybe I should go poach on my aunt's hibiscus bush :silly:

How many blossoms does it take to make one wash?

yogabiene
March 17th, 2006, 08:28 AM
Can you use the dried flowers? Would this still be good for fine hair?

Shell
March 17th, 2006, 09:59 AM
I have made Jamaica, hmm tasty. But, it dyes everything it touches pink. Now, I don't really want my hair pink....Is it better if you don't use boiling water (which is used to make Jamaica) or won't it work if you don't make an infusion? I use my other herbs by steeping them.