Google

Web forums.longhaircommunity.com

View Full Version : Coconut Oil...high protein?

ladiosaRosa
January 14th, 2006, 08:41 AM
Is Coconut oil a high protein oil?

I've gotten my CO down to every 6-7 days; I apply coconut oil to my ends daily (always after misting with distilled water, or aloe juice, though I'm going lighter on the frequency of aloe juice misting). I've noticed by day 6 or 7 that my ends might be a little stiff or crunchy (I'm not sure, these terms and possibilities are all so new to me). Could this be due to frequent coconut oil use?

Also, and here's where it might get confusing: I would like to question those of you who include coconut oil, jojoba oil and shea butter in their inventory of oils that you have. Do you ever use more than one oil or butter between washings? I thought it was important to get clear data on how my hair reacts to coconut oil so that's ALL I've been using for over a month. If I have to cut back on coconut I'll be sad because I *LOVE* the fragrance. So, is it feasable for me to think about using coconut oil maybe every other day or every third day and on other days, use shea butter or jojoba? What is the drawback to using more than one oil between washings.

Well, long winded again. Thanks for all who can share their experiences.

Juliet's Silk
January 14th, 2006, 08:52 AM
My hair reacts VERY strong when I use proteins - I get frizzy, dry hair immediately. My hair, however, LOVES coconut oil - coconut oil and sheabutter are the (only?) two oils I have the most success with.
So I don't think that it is a high protein oil, at least my hair says otherwise :lol:
Don't have any scientific proof, though.

Burgundyhair
January 14th, 2006, 10:01 AM
Coconut oil made my hair dry and crunchy back when I used it.
My hair prefers shea butter, cocoa butter, and olive oil as a leave-in. As well as glycerin. I've just started using them again since I've chopped off all of my hair.

Coconut oil is great to cook with and include in smoothies :P

Flaxen
January 14th, 2006, 12:43 PM
I keep coming across comments, too, that say there is protein in oil, but I don't know where they are getting that. Oil is 100% fat. A quick look at the nutrition label on any bottle of oil will confirm it. Nah, don't go all the way to the kitchen to read one, just click here (http://www.mothernature.com/shop/detail.cfm/sku/42614), and scroll down. :smile:

Coconut oil gives me the crunchies, too, btw.

ETA: Comments elsewhere on the 'net, not here.

Shell
January 14th, 2006, 01:00 PM
Seconding Flaxen, no protein (that's if you trust the FDA anyway). I looked it up because coconut milk does have protein (just a bit), and I am so paranoid about protein! As far as what my hair likes, it changes its mind daily/hourly. So some weeks/days/hours it loves my coconut oil/shea butter/cocoa butter/jojoba mix, other times it just wants shea, or maybe just jojoba from my spritz potion. I do mix them up in any give day too, otherwise my hair would make me crazy (crazier?)

By the way, I do wash more my hair more frequently than you do (every other day, and stretching now to a three day sched), so that may make a difference.

13bodies
January 14th, 2006, 01:04 PM
My hair despises protein but it loves coconut oil. I use coconut or red palm oil on my ends on non-hairwash days, which is 4 days a week.

Flaxen
January 14th, 2006, 01:05 PM
As far as what my hair likes, it changes its mind daily/hourly.
*ding ding ding* Twin! :hollie:

Juliet's Silk
January 14th, 2006, 01:05 PM
Seconding Flaxen, no protein (that's if you trust the FDA anyway). I looked it up because coconut milk does have protein (just a bit), and I am so paranoid about protein!

Yeah well, that's the portein in the milk - I get the frizz and the dryness when I do a coconut milk soak :sad:

SunCat
January 14th, 2006, 01:09 PM
Coconut oil has no protein in it actually no oils have any proten in them as Flaxen said all oils are fats.

Coconut milk on the other hand has protein in it as it is made by taking fresh coconut and cooking it in milk or cream to make the coconut milk and adding a thickening agent usually guar gum.

My hair loves coconut oil as well as shea butter, I like to mix the two together. I also use jojoba oil, hemp seed oil and sweet almont oil. I mix them together or use them individually and usually use them on a daily basis. I also add a few drops of oil to my mister of filtered water and aloe vera gel along with a few drops of vegetable glycerine and lavender and lemongrass EO's.

I wash my hair every 3-4 days and have had no problem using oils on a daily basis.

Dianyla
January 14th, 2006, 03:42 PM
Agreed that coconut oil is 100% lipids and fatty stuffs, no protein involved. Perhaps the misconception is because of some statements that I've seen floating around that suggest that coconut oil can prevent the hair strand from losing protein. Not sure where I read that, though...

Coconut milk on the other hand has protein in it as it is made by taking fresh coconut and cooking it in milk or cream to make the coconut milk and adding a thickening agent usually guar gum.

Nope. Coconut milk is dairy free. It is the "milk" of the coconut that has been expressed from the meat. Guar or other thickening agents are usually added to emulsify the mixture, otherwise the "milk" and the oil separate.

Flaxen
January 14th, 2006, 04:02 PM
...statements that I've seen floating around that suggest that coconut oil can prevent the hair strand from losing protein. Not sure where I read that, though...
:waving: That would be from here (http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/entrez/query.fcgi?cmd=Retrieve&db=PubMed&list_uids=12715094&dopt=Citation).

Godspeed
January 14th, 2006, 05:23 PM
I just tried coconut oil for the first time yesterday, and now Ive got the chrunch-o-rama, so I guess my hair does not like it.
But when hair gets chrunchy from oils or protein, is this damaging or what?
If hair reacts with crunch to an oil, does that mean that using that oil will damage the hair?

ChloeDharma
January 14th, 2006, 05:36 PM
Well, the coconut oil/protein issue has been dealt with so i wont go into that.
In terms of combining oils then i say go for it. I often will use Jojoba oil one day, then Coconut the next, or even in the same day. If your ends are getting crunchy or dry near the time you need to wash then i'm thinking that maybe it's a moisture issue. Maybe misting the ends will help with this, or using Aloe Gel as a daily leave in on the lengths will help keep moisture up in those areas. And before you ask yeah Aloe blends great with oils, i often blend Aloe and oil in my palms and apply it to my hair as a leave in, its fab stuff!
Anyway, i hope that helps :)

christmas
January 14th, 2006, 05:41 PM
I have dark black hair and its working great for me..coconut oil. I used to use it when I was around my teenage years and after many years I have started using it again. Its good for my sculpt and it makes my hair shinny.

Flaxen
January 14th, 2006, 06:14 PM
I just tried coconut oil for the first time yesterday, and now Ive got the chrunch-o-rama, so I guess my hair does not like it.
But when hair gets chrunchy from oils or protein, is this damaging or what?
If hair reacts with crunch to an oil, does that mean that using that oil will damage the hair?
I don't know if it would cause damage in the long term. If something makes my hair crunchy, I just stop using it.

I've never gotten crunchy from protein, but a moisture treatment should take care of it. When it happens from oil, it always goes away when I wash out the oil.

SunCat
January 14th, 2006, 09:42 PM
Nope. Coconut milk is dairy free. It is the "milk" of the coconut that has been expressed from the meat. Guar or other thickening agents are usually added to emulsify the mixture, otherwise the "milk" and the oil separate.

I was watching the Food Network awhile back and they were making coconut milk and they took fresh coconuts and shredded them then added cream, reduced it until it was thickended then strained it and called it coconut milk. They said you can buy it either sweetened or unsweetened in the can but it usually has a thickening agent added. Sounds like they were using the wrong term for the "milk" and actually meant coconut cream?

Thanks for the information Dianyla :grin: Sorry I gave wrong information, I thought I knew what I was talking about :rolleyes:

ladiosaRosa
January 15th, 2006, 06:11 AM
Burgundyhair, Shell, 13Bodies, Juliet'sSilk, Suncat, Dianyla, Godspeed, ChloeDharma, Christmas, Flaxen......thank you all for your feedback and references to information on this subject. :flowers: I find feedback on other's personal experiences very reassuring and in-depth information quite informative.

I don't know who offered what information at this point, so I'll just throw out responses to what I can remember being said.

Now I know that coconut oil does not contain protein.

It seems that some hair loves coconut oil and some hair hates it. My hair might fall somewhere in between. I'm getting the feeling that using coconut solely comes with a 3 day limit for me.

I was most interested in knowing if I could use jojoba one day, coconut oil the next and maybe even shea butter the following or any combination thereof. I like hearing that some of you mix your oils using 2 or 3 of them at one time.

I do understand the moisturizing principal. I've made it a point that before I oil with anything, I mist first....with distilled water or aloe juice or a combination of the two. I also do mistings alone throughout the day. I live with a wood stove for heat and can't moisturize my hair enough.

Coconut oil makes my hair shiny too. Well, I'll continue using it but either for only 2-3 days in a row or mixing it with other oils so I don't get over coconut-ized. :wink:

Godspeed
January 16th, 2006, 12:15 PM
I would also think oils do not contain proteins, but on the Chagrin Valley page www.chagrinvalleysoapandcraft.com it says:

"Avocado oil contains lecithin, a protein, which is an excellent conditioner for the hair and scalp. "

So at least avocado oil contains a protein it looks like. I wonder if any other oils does, maybe that's why my hair gets the crunch from some oils.

Beloved Ophelia
January 16th, 2006, 12:33 PM
I've been using coconut oil as a leave in for a week and it's made my hair so much softer with no frizzies..plus it smells soooo delicious :inlove:. Other oils tend to make my hair crunchy.

Arianwen
January 16th, 2006, 01:47 PM
I use some drugstore brand coconut oil (full of chemicals no doubt) on my the ends of my hair and my braid tassel and my hair just looooves it. I end up with an uber soft tassel that way. I also use jojoba oil, too shea and occasionally, this lemongrass oil hair stuff I have. My hair HATES olive oil, well the one time I tried it I had crunch-city ends.

dixie
January 16th, 2006, 02:57 PM
Could someone point me to an online source of redpalm oil? Thanks.