Google

Web forums.longhaircommunity.com

View Full Version : Non-protein users--working on that no protein conditioner list--need recommendations

Shell
December 30th, 2005, 09:16 PM
My local grocery and drug stores think I'm crazy because I go to the hair care aisle, read all of the labels, and make lists. They are starting to suspect me of industrial espionage (or worse)--so keep me from being placed on the FBI's domestic terrorist lists and tell me what non-protein conditioners you use.

Currently the (very incomplete) list is residing in my hair journal (My Mermaid Hair), and as soon as it has more products on it, I will post it as a thread. Meantime, your contributions would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks.

icydove
December 30th, 2005, 09:43 PM
V05 Sun Kissed Raspberry and Tea Therapy do not have protein, two of my favorites.

Here is Shell's list: http://forums.longhaircommunity.com/showpost.php?p=595296&postcount=9

Elle
December 30th, 2005, 11:15 PM
L'Oreal Preference Color Care Supreme has no protein in it. It's a tube of conditioner that comes in the haircolor kit but since I don't color, I buy it from ebay. :grin:

spunkymonki87
December 30th, 2005, 11:26 PM
Suave's Aloe, Cucumber-Melon, and Mango-something-or-other conditioners have no protein :)

moongrrl
December 31st, 2005, 07:22 AM
I do use protein condishes, but some non-protein ones I have are:

Eqyss Premier Cream Rinse Conditioner
Longhairlovers Ice Age Mega-Mineral Conditioner
Garnier Fructis Long and Strong Fortifying Cream Conditioner (contains cones)
Pantene Restore & Renew Deep Fortifying Treatment (contains cones)
Cowboy Magic Demineralizer Conditioner

spidermom
December 31st, 2005, 01:34 PM
Willow Lake Green Tea and aloe has no protein, no quats, no cones.

tres sleek
April 11th, 2006, 11:03 AM
You and me both, Shell! I spend hours going slowly up and down the aisles looking at ingredient lists. I'm a little more obvious in Walgreens than Wal-Mart, but I always get weird looks.

Last week, I was hunting "color protector" conditioners and sprays to see which UV protector (if any) they had. I settled on a Nexxus one. I get highlights a few times a year, and I ALWAYS am looking for something to keep the fading away. (Mine fades from blonde to reddish, and I want to get rid of the reddish at all costs).

Anyway, I have read that it's the sun mainly that causes fading, so I'm looking for sunscreen ingredients. (I think shampooing contributes to fading too, because since I started CO a few months ago, my fading has lessened.)

Dharma
April 11th, 2006, 02:45 PM
I just bought some Willow Lake Green Tea and Aloe conditioner. I never noticed this brand before , I got it in Harris Teeter. I am going to use it for CO washing. Hope its nice to use.

TammyJ
May 12th, 2006, 12:52 PM
Some protein free conditioners:

Jessicurl Aloeba
Jessicurl Too Shea
Jessicurl Weekly Deep Conditioning Treatment
Living Nature Nourishing Conditioner
Wella Lifetex Flash Flood
Aubrey Organics Honeysuckle Rose Conditioner
Aubrey Organics White Camellia Smoothing Conditioner
Burt's Bees Super Shiny Grapefruit and Sugar Beet Conditioner
Sevi Kay Pure Infusions Cream Conditioner

Shell
May 12th, 2006, 02:26 PM
Some protein free conditioners:

Jessicurl Aloeba
Jessicurl Too Shea
Jessicurl Weekly Deep Conditioning Treatment
Living Nature Nourishing Conditioner
Wella Lifetex Flash Flood
Aubrey Organics Honeysuckle Rose Conditioner
Aubrey Organics White Camellia Smoothing Conditioner
Burt's Bees Super Shiny Grapefruit and Sugar Beet Conditioner
Sevi Kay Pure Infusions Cream Conditioner

Thanks TammyJ, I think I already have a bunch of these, but I'll add those I don't!

Dharma, thanks, I have Willow Lake.

Keep 'em coming you guys!

ladiosaRosa
May 12th, 2006, 04:00 PM
I'd like to help, but don't think I know the name of every form of protein that might be found in a conditioner.

Is there a list somewhere that I could print out and take with me shopping/searching?

Shell
May 12th, 2006, 04:19 PM
I'd like to help, but don't think I know the name of every form of protein that might be found in a conditioner.

Is there a list somewhere that I could print out and take with me shopping/searching?

I have the list in progress in my journal (post #9) and it also lists some key words to look for.

Shell
May 12th, 2006, 04:26 PM

ladiosaRosa,

If you find any new ones to add, could you let me know? Also, if you do find that any of those on the list do contain protein could you also let me know? Thanks!

Teacherbear
May 12th, 2006, 05:00 PM
I love my Giovanni conditioners. Are they protein free? I can't use much protein, so if they do have protein, it couldn't be much. I like their lighter conditioners (like 50/50 or Smooth As Silk) better than their heavier ones.

golden_gal
May 12th, 2006, 05:08 PM
L'oreal Smooth Intense seems to be protein free...
I get those looks at the phramacy too...You are not alone!

Shell
May 12th, 2006, 06:02 PM
I love my Giovanni conditioners. Are they protein free? I can't use much protein, so if they do have protein, it couldn't be much. I like their lighter conditioners (like 50/50 or Smooth As Silk) better than their heavier ones.

I think Giovanni conditioners do have protein, but next time I'm at the health food store, I'll double check.

Golden Gal,

Maybe it's been long enough, they've forgotten me?

Jessica Trapp
May 12th, 2006, 07:29 PM
oooooooooooooooh! Thank you so much for this list! :flowers:

The VO5 extra body conditioner makes my hair very yuck--dry, frizzy, ratty. Collegen is a protein.

These aren't about hair, but they give little snippets of info about collegen:

http://www.teeth-whitening-patches.com/FAQ-cosmetic-treatment.html

http://www.vitamins-and-mineral-supplements.com/vitaminC.html

Great thread!!!
jes

ETA: I looked back in my hair journal. When I tried the VO5 extra body collegen conditioner great wads of my hair fell out. My hair does not like protein, and I remember it taking me several days of heavy pampering to get it back to normal.

Shell
May 13th, 2006, 07:20 AM
oooooooooooooooh! Thank you so much for this list! :flowers:

The VO5 extra body conditioner makes my hair very yuck--dry, frizzy, ratty. Collegen is a protein.

These aren't about hair, but they give little snippets of info about collegen:

http://www.teeth-whitening-patches.com/FAQ-cosmetic-treatment.html

http://www.vitamins-and-mineral-supplements.com/vitaminC.html

Great thread!!!
jes

ETA: I looked back in my hair journal. When I tried the VO5 extra body collegen conditioner great wads of my hair fell out. My hair does not like protein, and I remember it taking me several days of heavy pampering to get it back to normal.

Thank you! The idea for this list was born because I had a bad protein experience COing with protein Suave. It took almost two weeks, and a 1.5 inch trim to get it back to normal. I guess maybe the list is long enough to publish now. I think I'll spend some time double checking some of the products on it and make a new thread for it in the next few days. If you want to check it out, it's on #9 of my journal currently.

golden_gal
May 13th, 2006, 07:37 AM
Golden Gal,

Maybe it's been long enough, they've forgotten me?

Haha...You never know...

Anyway thanks for starting this thread! It's a godsent for those of us whose hair doesn't like protein!

Celtic-Princess
May 13th, 2006, 08:18 PM
I don't use many different conditioners but the ones i use seem to have no Proteins......they are TresEmme Vit. B-12 and Gelatin Condish (has cones.) L'oreal Mega Moisture Nurturing Treatment Condish (has Cones.)

They are the only ones i use right now, have heard that some of the products of Paul Mitchell don't have protein but not sure until i read ingredients.....so cannot recommend.

HTH.

Celtic Princess

Shell
May 14th, 2006, 07:35 PM
I don't use many different conditioners but the ones i use seem to have no Proteins......they are TresEmme Vit. B-12 and Gelatin Condish (has cones.) L'oreal Mega Moisture Nurturing Treatment Condish (has Cones.)

I would suspect that anything called "Gelatin" has protein, and also many things called "Nurturing" do too. But I'll keep them in mind and take a look at them next time I am perusing the shelves! Thanks for helping out.

Lux
May 15th, 2006, 08:50 AM
http://naturallycurly2.com/phpBB/viewtopic.php?t=56777&postdays=0&postorder=asc&start=40

This might help. It's a list of -cone/sulfate/protein free products The revised list is about a third of the way into the thread. I plan on using this list if I go shopping this weekend in Santa Fe.

:)

wimsey
May 15th, 2006, 10:10 AM
Goth Rosary Conditioner does not have protien. Regis Design Line Olive Oil Conditioner does have protein. :razz:

Shell
May 15th, 2006, 10:34 AM
Goth Rosary Conditioner does not have protien. Regis Design Line Olive Oil Conditioner does have protein. :razz:

Thank you, as I have said, many of the items on this list up to now have been submitted but not double checked, which is why it hasn't been published. I just need to get my act together and start checking. I will have mucho time to do this in a couple of weeks. I really appreciate all of your help!