Google

Web forums.longhaircommunity.com

View Full Version : Omni-Pak deep conditioning treatment for Nexxus fans

Eowyn
December 26th, 2005, 01:09 PM
My hair has been so dried out and roughened by winter, I'm getting desperate! In my search for a good conditioning treatment, I discovered this on the Nexxus site:

Omni-Pak deep conditioning treatment. For severe or multiple types of damage.

In a glass or plastic bowl, mix:

1 part Nexxus Epitome Fortifying Botanical Reconstructor
1 part Nexxus KerapHix Restorative Protein Creme Reconstructor
1 part Nexxus Humectress Ultimate Moisturizing Conditioner
1/3 part Nexxus Botanic Oil Essential Natural Oil Replenisher

Step 1. Shampoo the hair with Aloe Rid Gentle Clarifying Shampoo and follow with Aloe Rid Treatment Deep Clarifying Solution.

Step 2. Towel dry to remove excess moisture.

Step 3. Appy the Omni-Pak Treatment with a colour brush, thoroughly saturating the hair.

Step 4. Comb through with a wide tooth comb to ensure complete and even distribution.

Step 5. Place a cotton strip around the hairline, cover with a plastic bag and place under a warm dryer (medium heat) for 10 to 20 minutes (heat is optional).

Step 6. Rinse with tepid water.

Eowyn
December 27th, 2005, 05:05 PM
Well, I got the ingredients together and tried this last night! The good news is that my hair is really super duper moisturized! :cloud9: The bad thing is that it's a bit oily. I just stuck my hair up with one of my "Dressy Tresses" glittery hair sticks I got for Christmas! :xmas: Maybe next time I'll skip the oil.

Chocolate Locks
December 27th, 2005, 08:54 PM
That sounds really nice. I was wondering about the oil as well. Perhaps the oil would work first as a prewash?

SpiralingWaves
December 28th, 2005, 12:10 PM
Thanks for posting this Eowyn! I've just started using some Nexxus products and am pleasantly suprised with the great results I am getting.

I don't have the $$$ right now to buy all the ingredients, but so far I have Therappe Shampoo, Keraphix & Generic Humectress. I thought I may be able to substitute Epitome w/ Mill Creek Botanicals Keratin Conditioner, and for Botanic Oil I thought I could use sesame oil or perhaps shea butter. What do you think?

Mmmmm ..... I think I will be experimenting soon. :grin:

Eowyn
December 28th, 2005, 12:54 PM
Hi, guys! I'm a big Nexxus fan, too. It's the only conditioner that seems to help me with tangles. I am experimenting, too. The ingredients are kind of expensive! I cheated and used avocado oil instead of the Botanoil. My hair was really oily, though, so I'm just now trying mixing the humectress and keraphix together, without the oil and epitome. It seems to work really well for me.

The mad scientist in me also squirted some Aphogee conditioner (protein conditioner from Sally's Beauty Supply) in there, too, and my hair likes that too! :razz:

SpiralingWaves
December 28th, 2005, 01:26 PM
Great then! I'll give it a go. Maybe I'll lower the amount of oil to 1/4 part & see how that works.

Off to collect the ingredients for my brew! hee hee :twisted:

1953Diygal
December 28th, 2005, 01:35 PM
I found this same recipe on another website years ago as a remedy for damaged hair. When I used it, my hair was like milkweed from bleaching it, and it really helped. For those who have HIGHLY damaged hair, this is a good thing--it has both moisture AND protein in it.

Carolyn
December 28th, 2005, 02:05 PM
I was just out searching for the ingredients today. I've got them all except the Epitome. I have a feeling that is going to be hard to find. Can't wait to try the recipe. I wonder if there is anything that would substitute for the Epitome? Anyone have any suggestions?

1953Diygal
December 28th, 2005, 02:32 PM
Hmm. I have always seen it wherever Nexxus products are sold. It's a spray-on intensive protein/herbal treatment (dark brown and very smelly :uhh: ). Maybe one of those vials of protein reconstructor that you get at Sally would substitute nicely.

I was just out searching for the ingredients today. I've got them all except the Epitome. I have a feeling that is going to be hard to find. Can't wait to try the recipe. I wonder if there is anything that would substitute for the Epitome? Anyone have any suggestions?

SpiralingWaves
December 28th, 2005, 04:38 PM

Here are the ingredients of Epitome from the Nexxus site:

INGREDIENTS Water (Aqua), Propylene Glycol, Hydrolyzed Collagen, Aloe Barbadensis Extract, Buckthorn (Frangula Alnus) Extract, Burdock (Arctium Lappa) Extract, Calendula Officinalis Extract, Comfrey (Symphytum Officinale) Extract, Cranesbill (Geranium Maculatum) Extract, Nettle (Urtica Dioica) Extract, Elderflower (Sambucus Nigra) Extract, Sodium Perborate, Citric Acid, Ascorbic Acid, Niacin, Tocopherol, Pyridoxine Tripalmitate, Retinol, Calcium Carbonate, Zinc Gluconate, Potassium Gluconate, Ferrous Gluconate, Papain, Methylparaben, Fragrance (Parfum).

A good substitute might be a protein reconstructor or condish that has Collagen as it's main ingredient (?). At least this is what I am thinking. Anyone else have any ideas?

I've got my stuff sitting on my head right now. I used what I mentioned above. Decided on sesame oil & added 1/2 part aloe vera gel. I'll post my results later. :)

PrettyCurly
December 28th, 2005, 05:02 PM
When my schedule allows time, I will defintely try this.

Eowyn
December 28th, 2005, 07:25 PM
A good substitute might be a protein reconstructor or condish that has Collagen as it's main ingredient (?). At least this is what I am thinking. Anyone else have any ideas?

Aphogee at Sally's Beauty supply has a collagen spray in conditioner thingie. Maybe that would work. I tried the Aphogee conditioner in the mix, and I liked it.

Have you tried using heat with it? According to the Nexxus web site, you're also supposed to shampoo with Nexxus aloe-rid shampoo to clarify before you use the deep condition. I haven't done that, as I'm pretty broke right now!

kimberlily
December 28th, 2005, 11:18 PM
I would love to try this, but I shudder at how much the ingredients would cost! I used to use Nexxus, but can't afford it now :(

SpiralingWaves
December 29th, 2005, 05:01 AM
Aphogee at Sally's Beauty supply has a collagen spray in conditioner thingie. Maybe that would work. I tried the Aphogee conditioner in the mix, and I liked it.

Have you tried using heat with it? According to the Nexxus web site, you're also supposed to shampoo with Nexxus aloe-rid shampoo to clarify before you use the deep condition. I haven't done that, as I'm pretty broke right now!

Thanks Eowyn, I think I will be taking a trip to Sally's in the very near future, lol.

I did this treatment last night & used heat. I have a microwave heat cap that I can't live without! I don't have Aloe-rid right now. But maybe I will pick up the Generic Aloe-rid when I go to Sally's next time. I just washed with Therrape shampoo, applied my copycat version of this DT, left on for about an hour & then rinsed really well. My hair feels awesome this morning! :rockerdud This is definitely a keeper for me. I have dry hair, especially the lower half which has been chemically damaged from professional hair dyes. And the winter, from indoor heat, has really done a number on my layered ends. So this DT will now be part of my weekly routine. Thanks Eowyn for posting this. :)

Here's the concoction I put together, from my journal entry last night:

I don't have Epitome or the Botanic Oil. Epitome, from what I could tell from the ingredients, seems to be mostly collagen. I am using Mill Creek Keratin condish in place of Epitome & it is well, a keratin based condish, lol. So, in the future, I may go to Sally's & see what I can find. Also, Epitome listed Aloe extract right after collagen, so I added a bit of Herbal Blend Aloe Vera Gel to this mix. Botanic OIl lists safflower oil as the first ingred. & sesame oil as the second ingred. I don't have any safflower oil, so sesame it was. Here's my copycat recipe:

COPYCAT NEXXUS OMNI PAK DEEP CONDITIONING TREATMENT

2 T Nexxus Keraphix
2 T Mill Creek Botanicals Keratin Conditioner
2 T Generic Humectress
1 T Nature's Life Aloe Vera Herbal Blend (has Chamomile & Comfrey extracts)
1 t Spectrum Naturals Organic Sesame Oil

Washed with Therappe shampoo, towel dried while assembling the mentioned above ingredients. Worked the DT in, concentrating on lower half of hair. Used wide toothed shower comb to comb through & distribute. Tied plastic baggie over head & used micro heat cap for an hour, then rinsed well. Left in a pineapple for the night.

Eowyn
December 29th, 2005, 05:08 AM
Mad hair scientists of the world unite! :jestor: I'm glad this is working out for you. Thanks for telling me about this. I didn't even think about the aloe vera. I'm off now to do your version. Thanks!

1953Diygal
December 29th, 2005, 09:07 AM
http://www.salonweb.com/pro/damage.htm

Here's the link to the site where I originally found the recipe (it's down toward the very bottom--you have to hunt for it). I discovered it on this site back in (wow, time flies) 1997 or 98. It's cool that Nexxus has posted it to their website as well. It's a good recipe. Like I said before, if your hair is in a bad way from coloring or bleaching, this will help.

Eowyn
December 29th, 2005, 06:28 PM
Hey, thanks for posting that! That page looks pretty interesting!

I tried SpiralingWaves pirated version :pirate: and my hair turned out GREAT! I left it in an hour or so, under a gold foil hair cap. My hair is so soft and silky and curly. My hair is usually 2A when it's dried out, and the more moisturized it is, the curlier it gets until it's 2C. My hair is super curly and bouncy right now (with no frizz!) so that's a good sign.

Here is my version of SpiralingWaves version:

COPYCAT NEXXUS OMNI PAK DEEP CONDITIONING TREATMENT

2 T Nexxus Keraphix
2 T Aphogee Keratin reconstructor
2 T Humectress
1 T Aloe Vera gel
1 t Sweet almond oil

Here's a tip from your auntie Jennifer (er, I mean Eowyn) JC Penney's has great sales on Nexxus products. Especially before school starts in August, Mother's Day and Christmas. I just got Humectress and Keraphix at JC Penney's for half price! :twisted:

SpiralingWaves
December 30th, 2005, 04:33 AM
Woo Hoo! Eowyn, so glad this worked for you! And thanks for the tip, I have a JC Penny just down the road from me. Did you just buy them, or was it before Christmas? I wonder if I should take a trip over there today? Lol, I am sick today, but I'd drag my butt over there if I could get them for 1/2 price! :wacko:

Eowyn
December 30th, 2005, 05:14 AM
Right now JC Penney's is selling all their Christmas sets of shampoo and conditioner for half price! I got a bunch of Keraphix for $9.00. :razz:

SpiralingWaves
December 31st, 2005, 10:47 AM
The JC Penny's near me did not have any Christmas sets available. But I stopped by Cost Cutters (a hair salon chain - don't know if it is nation wide) and they had 1 L sets, 50% off. I got the Ultimate Moisture set (Therappe & Humectress) and the Colour Care set (Bontaniol & Keraphix). All four liters for $25.00. I think that was a pretty good deal considering if I were paying full price this would cost $104.00. :bigeyes:

I haven't heard anything about Bontainol shampoo, but it has UV protectors so I'm thinking of using this in the spring & summer when I'm outdoors more often. Anyway, I ramble ... just wanted to let others know to look out for good deals in other salons! :wink:

Eowyn
February 23rd, 2006, 06:06 AM
Just wondering if anybody ever managed to make this with all the original Nexxus products, and how it works.:razz: