Google

Web forums.longhaircommunity.com

View Full Version : Does this make anyone else a little sick?

Quirky
June 24th, 2003, 11:09 AM
When I look at this picture it makes me queasy. It looks like a body part or something!

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=2935689948&category=24 15&tc=photo

smiles
June 24th, 2003, 11:11 AM
:( :( :( :x

Kati75
June 24th, 2003, 11:17 AM
Why the *** would someone want to cut off a beautiful and shiny braid like that one? The ends look perfect!!! Some people are really crazy.

Melissa
June 24th, 2003, 11:24 AM
Sheesh I know what you mean, it looks like a remnant from an autopsy or something. :what:

Melissa

LongRed
June 24th, 2003, 11:28 AM
HOLY COW!!!! I'd work my butt off to have
hair like that!!!! WOW, I went into the sellers
other items and man, she/he has hair of
all hues!! Makes me sad! Wish my hair
looked as thick as some of them!!!! :(

smiles
June 24th, 2003, 11:31 AM
WOW, I went into the sellers
other items and man, she/he has hair of
all hues!! Makes me sad!

:shock: :shock: another creepy thought coming to my mind....... is he one of those :x waiting in the pavement and cutting pretty pretty braids? :x :evil:

morguebabe
June 24th, 2003, 11:44 AM
To each his own.

Pixna
June 24th, 2003, 12:07 PM
Yes, to me it looks like a severed limb. I find pictures of "severed braids" like this a bit nauseating. It makes me wonder if it was cut off by one of those hair bandits and its true owner is somewhere completely devastated with no idea her hair is being sold on eBay.

songofsunlight
June 24th, 2003, 12:32 PM
I don't doubt that some folks deal in shorn tresses for false hairpieces, craft projects, etc. And if people want to cut their hair for any reason, then so they do. Nevertheless, there is something unsavory about the hair market. The final words of this seller's description are unsettling, as is his 'about me' section. Most of his clients do not want a record of their transaction with him recorded on ebay. Why not?

I am growing more and more convinced that haircutting and posession of hair is intimately related to power. An old relationship, but apparently one which is still very resonant.

Celuriel

TXSage
June 24th, 2003, 12:48 PM
Why in the world would anyone want to bid on that thing? Ugh. That's truly awful! :(

Twitch
June 24th, 2003, 12:53 PM
" Holly, 17, was talked into a short style by her best friend and broke into tears during the cut."

this makes me SICK. there are some beautiful lengths of hair being sold by this person. i suspect it is an unethical salon owner that is making a buck off unsuspecting customers. disgusting. :evil: :evil: :evil:

epiphanee
June 24th, 2003, 01:12 PM
It is a disembodied limb hacked off in an act of violence.

The same hair growing on a living person is beautiful.
With or without the owner's consent the detached "object" is disgusting to behold.

It makes me feel really bad in my gut and quite sickened.

bikerbraid
June 24th, 2003, 02:48 PM
Promise not to hate me after reading this..........

I had grown my hair to my waist during my high school and college years. I kept it long at the request of my husband, but I was tired of it. We lived in a country house with minimal water pressure and minimal heat. Washing it was a major task and it never seemed to dry. My husband agreed that it would be OK to cut it when we started our family. (Keep in mind I had always had a short pixie cut until high school). So one day when I was 6 months pregnant, I went out for lunch and had my hair cut to a darling short bob. The salon that agreed to do it (several refused to cut 3feet of hair off a pregnant lady - wonder why???) asked what I planned to do with the hair after it was cut. I had no attachment to the hair. They offered me $50 for the hair and a free hair cut. I was thrilled! They were thrilled to get virgin hair (no coloring, no splits, no heated applianced were ever used on it, no hair dryers) that was blonde, 3 feet long and weighed at least 6 ounces. They were going to sell it to someone that would make hairpieces out of it.

I tell this story only to make the point that sometimes a person is ready to cut their long hair and is very happy to make a few dollars in the process or even donate it. I don't agree with forcing anyone into a drastic cut, or even convincing them they need or want a cut. I would readily donate my long hair when I no longer want it or enjoy it. For the time being, I love my long hair and have no plans for a major cut and I may never want to cut it again, but you never know what might change.

Melusina
June 24th, 2003, 03:13 PM
I think bikerbraid has a valid point. Valid points aside, however, there is something about this entry in his "about me" page that creeps me out:

For a while now, I've been doing business with an eccentric fellow who has a hair-cutting fetish. He's consumed with the act of cutting and isn't concerned with what's left or recouping his cost (a percentage of the ebay sale is fine with him). As he tells me, "their willingness is payment in itself". He gets about one a month. All are from girls accepting his cash offers, even though they end up hacked with no style. He's evidently a real charmer and targets girls who might be desperate for cash in shady parts of town, which offers promise of many interesting stories to come. Ponytails of this variety will be labeled "headhunter" in the auction title.

:puke:

Tresses
June 24th, 2003, 06:36 PM
Unsettling to say the least! I understand that the dealer may be legit, but his About Me page creeps me out, too. :suspect: And the braid just lying there on the table does look too much like a severed limb to me. Very sad.

Karrinne
June 24th, 2003, 07:26 PM
:( :( :( :x That literally turns my stomach. Feels like I'm looking at a found piece of a body somewhere or something. There is something not right about that whole thing.

Niphredil
June 25th, 2003, 01:05 AM
I don;t think the fact of selling hair bothers me, but the way it is gathered (don't know another good word for it now) does.. I mean... I cut my longer hair twice, and both pieces of hair are at my parents house somewhere to look at every now and then... And I know of a girl with at least tailbone lenght hair who cut it for money... she needed the money for a very much wished for trip around the world, and the hair would be used to make a wig, so its very helpful for those suffering unwanted hairloss !!

But just talking someone into cutting of hair, just because the cutter wants the money.. NO

so, kinda mixed feelings about this..

niphredil

totie
June 25th, 2003, 04:22 AM
I only wish mine was that shiny, and mine is still on my head. :sick:

Quirky
June 25th, 2003, 01:13 PM
Promise not to hate me after reading this..........

No one would hate you! It is your hair! I just thought the picture looked weird.

I have my hair (from when I was a little girl and my mom cut it) in a box somewhere too!

terri
June 25th, 2003, 02:26 PM
When we lived in Northern California in the mountains with really bad water, I finally caved and cut my daughters hair-but first I braided it and ponytailed it on both ends so we could save it. So I am familiar with what a disembodied braid looks like and I don't find it creepy.

What does bother me about what becomes of this hair, is that its obvious from looking at some of the buyers other recent purchases that at least some of this hair does become a part of someone's sex toys or "collection." I really would not want my DNA or that of any of my significant others DNA winding up in the hands of the certifiably nutty.

If there is a market for ladies hair there is probably a market for kids hair. I suppose this is another reason not to trust salons. I think I'll be bringing a ziplock bag with me whenever I or my kids get a hair cut in a Salon anymore and taking my "used parts" with me when I go. Especially, if I ever go in and have sizeable length trimmed off.

sapphireyes87
June 25th, 2003, 04:06 PM
*shudder* Let me just say that I may never roam the streets with my hair in a ponytail again.
Most of that hair was just too beautiful to have been given up without at least some persuasion. I mean, did you see that 27" wheat blonde one? It was gorgeous! You'd have to be deranged to willingly hack all that off.
I mean, I understand that sometimes you need a change (four years ago I cut it all off too) but how does this one guy manage to find so many women who want to cut off their long hair? Most of them supposedly 'went to their shoulders' so they had at least waist length to begin with.
And reputable salons suggest you get it cut off in stages (four or five inch chunks). That way when they chop off a few inches you have to go home and look at it before going any further.
It just all seems a little shady to me... Yes, definitley nixing the ponytail from my routine. ~Alex*

Teacherbear
June 25th, 2003, 08:15 PM
I didn't read the seller's About Me, nor did I read a lot of his descriptions of who the hair came from.

My first thought was that the photos remind me of 2 "tails" of hair my Mom has in her dresser drawer. One is a braid from her Mother when she finally cut off her hair and got the proverbial "old lady" hair do. I don't know when that was, but it was most likely in the 1920s. Mom also has my curly pony tail from my very first hair cut at 5 years of age.

*I* think hair, especially cut locks of hair is a very intimate thing. If you know the person to whom the hair belonged it is a very personal and sentimental thing. Just "hair" that is lying about, well, that is a bit disturbing!

I have SUCH mixed feelings about hair. I love my long hair. I love to see the long hair on all of my friends here. But I am also repulsed by seeing ponys and braids of hair for sale . . . to whomever, for whatever purpose.

I don't have anything earth shattering to say, just wanted to toss in my 2 cents.