Google

Web forums.longhaircommunity.com

View Full Version : Maximum Amount of Biotin & other vitamins

wyldcurlz
December 4th, 2005, 09:35 AM
I'd like to minimize shedding and MAXIMIZE my hair growth - which seems to be sllllloooooowww! (or maybe its just that watched pot never boils thing.)

Anyway, I've read different things about maximum amounts of biotin and MSM, etc. What vitamins have worked for all of you? And what amount?

I know the RDA says no more than 300mcg of biotin, but many have successfully gone over that recommended amount.

What other vitamins are you using and how much?

Thanks!

Currently, I'm taking Solgar V-Caps (only 75mcg Biotin) and Essential Amino Acids, fat burners & metabolic supplements...all recommended by my trainer.

SyllysMom
December 4th, 2005, 09:48 AM
I will pass on what I have read on the boards here. Some people here have experienced headaches and acne if they take too much biotin. This is a lot of Biotin (I think 1 or 5mg).. Perhaps those who have experienced the symptoms can fill tell you their dose. Just a word to use caution and if you do begin having these symptoms, the biotin maybe the cause.

Kym

QuiteContrary
December 4th, 2005, 10:27 AM
I bought a thing of biotin that contained 1500 mcg (micrograms--what is that in millagrams?) and said to take one a day. I took it every day in the morning, but when I found out it might be the cause of this weird, shed-skin acne I had and the daily headaches, I rethought it. I also read that one should take vitamins at night, for better breakdown.

So, now I take woman's one a day and my biotin once a night every night. No headaches, acne is gone.

But. Still. How much am I taking in mg?

AmandaPanda
December 4th, 2005, 10:43 AM
One can't overdose on biotin. The most I've seen anyone take is 5000mcg which = 5mg I believe. There is no reason to take more than that, because your body can only absorb just so much, and the rest gets flushed out.

Susan D.
December 4th, 2005, 12:28 PM
I started taking a biotin supplement a little over a month ago, and haven't noticed any ill effects. However, my hair IS growing faster and longer. I see a little "halo" of short hairs around my head now, and the hair on my body is longer and a little bit more noticable. (unfortunately, when you do things to make your hair grow, it's systemic rather than specific)

Between my multivitamin and the supplement, I'm taking 1030 mcg of biotin per day. It's working for me, and I've recommended it to my Mom. HTH

Peace,
Susan

delacr11
December 4th, 2005, 08:12 PM
I take a multivitamin by Simply One, and a biotin about 3 x a day each one is 600 mcg. I definitely see a difference in hair growth and healthiness of my hair!

LadyOttoline
December 5th, 2005, 07:04 AM
I take between 3000 and 4000 mcg (i.e. 3-4mg?) Biotin daily and haven't noticed any ill effects but I'd be wary of taking more than 5000 mcg. I currently take 2000 mcg of MSM and am thinking about upping the dose by another 1000. I don't know if more would be safe, in any case, as other people said, taking more than your body can absorb won't help. anyways.

Forever Long
December 5th, 2005, 01:06 PM
I've been taking 5 mg of biotin every day for a few years now. I have never noticed any ill effects, & my hair, skin & nails look great. Off & on I've taken 1,000 or maybe 1,500 mg of MSM a day, maybe I need a higher dose than that because I never notice any difference, good or bad from MSM.