Google

Web forums.longhaircommunity.com

View Full Version : Where do Australians buy there henna?

Alley Cat
November 26th, 2005, 09:03 PM
I am thinking about doing Henna , just wondering if there are Australians out there who Henna their hair and where do they get it?

merry
November 26th, 2005, 09:22 PM
The only henna I have ever been able to find here is Nazeer henna from health food shops.

It comes in a few different colours, so I am guessing that the "standard red" is the only one without other ingredients.

I haven't used henna for a few years now, but the Nazeer standard and also dark red worked ok for me.

If you wanted body art quality henna it's my guess you would have to order it online somewhere.

www.hennaforhair.com is a good site with lots of info.

Alley Cat
November 27th, 2005, 12:37 PM
Thanks for that Merry , I will have to look into that. I haven't decided whether to do it our not as the last 7 inches of my hair is old perm and colour so my hair colour throughout my hair is different and I am not sure how it would go, but I just love the look of the colour of henna in the pictures I have seen on this site there are some really pretty colours.

nastasska
November 27th, 2005, 04:11 PM
I get a lot of things from Everyday Mehandi but I'm not sure what's happening with them at the moment

http://www.everydayhenna.com/frameset.html?herb_hair.html

Pfizzgig
November 27th, 2005, 04:12 PM
I had the same problem when I wanted to start henna'ing my hir - Nobody here seems to sell it! All of the health stores sell hair dye 'derived from' henna, or other natural ingredients, but never could I find pure henna by itself. I buy mine regularly now from eBay, from a lovely lady whose username is favorfinesse123. Its good value, excellent quality also and I get 3-4 henna treatments out of one 225g package (Boy, would I make a great saleswoman.. LOL)

Hope that helped!

Alley Cat
November 28th, 2005, 05:10 PM
Thank you for your replies Nastasska and Pfizzgig.
So you get yours sent in from America that would make it expensive with the postage costs Nastasska.
I will look at ebay Pfizzgig. At the moment I am still thinking about it and haven't made a decision about it.
It is a bit frustrating being on a site where people talk about these things they can purchase easily where they live and we here in Australia can't get them.

Liv
November 29th, 2005, 01:02 AM
I get mine from www.mehandi.com. (http://www.mehandi.com.) I live in Norway so the henna is shipped from America, but I find the shippingcosts isn't bad at all. :grin:

nastasska
November 29th, 2005, 01:57 PM
Thank you for your replies Nastasska and Pfizzgig.
So you get yours sent in from America that would make it expensive with the postage costs Nastasska.
I will look at ebay Pfizzgig. At the moment I am still thinking about it and haven't made a decision about it.
It is a bit frustrating being on a site where people talk about these things they can purchase easily where they live and we here in Australia can't get them.
No actually the shipping isn't that bad and I'd rather pay that than the GST :twisted:

Alley Cat
November 29th, 2005, 02:19 PM
No actually the shipping isn't that bad and I'd rather pay that than the GST :twisted:
Thanks for that Nastasska.
I was at the Health Shop today and noticed they had Bonvit Natural Henna Herb Colour in Brown, Natural Red, Golden Red and Golden. The ingredients say Henna Rhizia Stricta and Indigofera Agentia. Is that not a natural henna , what is the difference? It was in a powder form in a plastic jar 100g for about $10.95. What do you think?

nastasska
November 29th, 2005, 02:37 PM
Indigofera is Indigo I'm not sure about the other one hopefully our henna experts will be able to tell you more

If you get some do a starnd test or you could end up with my problems

Good luck

Alley Cat
November 29th, 2005, 02:45 PM
Indigofera is Indigo I'm not sure about the other one hopefully our henna experts will be able to tell you more

If you get some do a starnd test or you could end up with my problems

Good luck
Thanks for that Nastasska. I might see if any of the henna experts answer here , if not I might post a new thread.
Yes I will do a strand test if I purchase it, specially as my hair is different colours as it is. Just covering all the options for now.

Alley Cat
December 1st, 2005, 03:05 PM
Yes it's me again I have found an Australian company selling Henna www.lush.com.au they call there Henna
Mama caca brun
Mama caca marron
Mama caca noir
Mama caca rouge
There Henna ingredient is Lawsonia Inermis which what I see from my research is what Henna is made from they also have ingredients like cocoa butter, ground coffee , fresh lemon juice , clove bud oil etc
What do you all think of this , the Henna actually looks like a block so not sure about that?

amiaow
April 10th, 2006, 03:29 PM
A bit late here AlleyCat but you can often find it at health/natural foods stores, there are a couple here in Adelaide that sell it in bulk.

Also you can find pretty much anything you like at http://www.newdirections.com.au- they are great!

Alley Cat
April 11th, 2006, 01:00 AM
A bit late here AlleyCat but you can often find it at health/natural foods stores, there are a couple here in Adelaide that sell it in bulk.

Also you can find pretty much anything you like at http://www.newdirections.com.au- they are great!
Thanks for that, I have a good source now , I have been hennaing for months as you can see.:grin:

merry
April 11th, 2006, 05:31 AM
Oooh - not too late for me though!! I would be very interested to know where those particular shops are.. :razz:
I am being inspired to start henna-ing again by the lovely hair of Alley Cat, Rini and RoseRed :inlove:
I have *almost* made up my mind to do it....

Alley Cat
April 11th, 2006, 04:47 PM
Oooh - not too late for me though!! I would be very interested to know where those particular shops are.. :razz:
I am being inspired to start henna-ing again by the lovely hair of Alley Cat, Rini and RoseRed :inlove:
Go for it merry . I get mine online from India and didn't buy any here in Australia as they don't seem to have body quality type here and my supplier is very reasonable. 8)

Rose_Red
April 11th, 2006, 06:18 PM

:blushing:

Go for it!

I actually ordered my first lot of henna off ebay - from the seller Supernaturals Soap Company (their website, which seems to be down at the moment, is linked from hennaforhair as a reputable supplier) - if you do a search on ebay au for henna you'll find them. It's BAQ stuff, and works a treat.

I've put in an order with the supplier that Alley Cat uses as well for comparison, since it works out to be cheaper than buying from Supernaturals. Haven't received it yet though :)

amiaow
April 11th, 2006, 11:37 PM
I've been pondering trying again (though I'm of the clear henna/cassia or marigold variety). I did use henna conditioning wax yesterday which left my hair soft soft soft but not thick thick thick the way henna does.

If there's any Adelaide people out there, I used to buy my henna from the Soap Box & Honey Shoppe at the Central Market. You could also buy it at Clearlight on Rundle Street. Plus a heap of places have the Nazeer (I haven't ever tried this).

Does anyone else do a blonde-coloured henna?

Alley Cat
April 12th, 2006, 12:41 AM
:blushing:

Go for it!

I actually ordered my first lot of henna off ebay - from the seller Supernaturals Soap Company (their website, which seems to be down at the moment, is linked from hennaforhair as a reputable supplier) - if you do a search on ebay au for henna you'll find them. It's BAQ stuff, and works a treat.

I've put in an order with the supplier that Alley Cat uses as well for comparison, since it works out to be cheaper than buying from Supernaturals. Haven't received it yet though :)
Hey let me know if you can tell the difference, that would be interesting to me.:razz:

merry
April 12th, 2006, 04:14 AM
If there's any Adelaide people out there, I used to buy my henna from the Soap Box & Honey Shoppe at the Central Market. You could also buy it at Clearlight on Rundle Street. Plus a heap of places have the Nazeer (I haven't ever tried this).
Cool, thanks for this, I shall have to check them both out. :razz:
I used to henna about ten years ago and used the Nazeer standard red - don't know if it is BAQ or not but it worked well for me...
I never even thought of looking on ebay! :rolleyes:
Alley Cat, where do you order yours from?

ravenlox
April 12th, 2006, 06:56 PM
I just bought 3 bags of nazeer henna in dark red, indigo and clear. Now I just have to read through the henna thread and work out a mix. I would love to see some pics from those who have used nazeer. I'm sooo itching to henna now. I'm going to mix it this afternoon and use it in the morning. wish me luck.:wink:

nastasska
April 12th, 2006, 07:27 PM
Hi Raven have you done a strand test it's best to check I know from my experience

http://forums.longhaircommunity.com/showthread.php?t=42836

Good Luck and I hope you get a great result:rockerdud

I'm wondering if I'll ever be able to Henna again:twisted:

ravenlox
April 12th, 2006, 08:03 PM
thanks natasska, I will do that right now and proceed if I'm happy with the results. duh... I should have thought of that. :flowers:

nastasska
April 12th, 2006, 08:11 PM
thanks natasska, I will do that right now and proceed if I'm happy with the results. duh... I should have thought of that. :flowers:
It's a good idea:grin: a strand test saved me from total disaster

Aussiegirl
April 12th, 2006, 11:53 PM
I've just bought the Bonvit golden and am going to use it tomorrow. Thankfully I did a strand test as I'm a blonde and when I left it on for a couple of hours it was mega-red, my second strand test showed that 30 minutes is plenty for me!! I didn't realise you had to make it up the night before using it, I guess I'd better check the threads a bit more carefully! I'd be keen to use a better 'blonde' version though, will check out some of the sites from the earlier posts in this thread.

merry
April 13th, 2006, 12:04 AM
Well, I bought some Nazeer standard red...... going to do a strand test....

Alley Cat
April 13th, 2006, 12:43 AM
Cool, thanks for this, I shall have to check them both out. :razz:
I used to henna about ten years ago and used the Nazeer standard red - don't know if it is BAQ or not but it worked well for me...
I never even thought of looking on ebay! :rolleyes:
Alley Cat, where do you order yours from?
From this web site, it's from India and they charge no postage, it takes a bit longer to come than my old American source but so much cheaper, the cheapest source I have found.:grin:

http://www.favorfinesse.com/

Rae~
April 15th, 2006, 01:37 AM
Ravenlox - how did your henna experience go?

(PS - LOVE your curls... very envious... lol)

ravenlox
April 15th, 2006, 03:37 AM
I didn't manage to put the henna on my head until 7pm this evening. Still sitting here with it on my head, and it weighs a darn tonne. My neck is soooo sore. must...hold...on... I am going to try for four hours. I stay up late anyways so what the heck. My strand test turned out fab as. Dark mahogany brown and just perfect. Grey roots on the strand test slightly reddish, but I added a little more indigo to the mix and a few other things to. I added some nutmeg and lavender EO, a little ACV and warm water. I left in all in a big old ceramic mustard jar wrapped in foil and a tea towel, to sit on my cappucino machine for a couple of hours, and the dye release was awesome. It was staining my hands a treat too. I am still so scared that something bad is going to happen. :rolleyes:

Rae~
April 15th, 2006, 06:04 AM
Ooooh, it sounds GREAT!! I know it will be fine - look forward to seeing the results!!

Cheers :tealbiggr

Alley Cat
April 15th, 2006, 02:40 PM
Me too ravenlox . Yes the henna does get heavy on your hair and the aches and pains ouch. I am glad I don't do more than 2 hours now I have built up my colour. It's an experience , hey.8)

nastasska
April 15th, 2006, 09:52 PM
Oh Oh Pictures please:rockerdud

ravenlox
April 15th, 2006, 10:58 PM
I posted on the main board henna thread too. this one was taken indoors though. for more info see main board.:flowers:
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v603/ravenlox/henna1inside.jpg

nastasska
April 15th, 2006, 11:52 PM
Whoa that looks so good:rockerdud

I wish I could Henna *pout*

Alley Cat
April 16th, 2006, 01:23 AM
Lovely ravenlox are you happy with it , it looks really good?:razz:

ravenlox
April 16th, 2006, 02:46 AM
Alley cat, Yeah I'm really happy with it. Unfortunately the pics do it no justice at all though. The colour is much more vibrant and shinier outside than the ones I got today. I will wait a few days and take some more with curls. I really like the red. Dh tried his best, but got sick of me telling him how to take them and he called it quits. Family members really liked it and would like to use henna too.

Alley Cat
April 16th, 2006, 03:43 AM
Alley cat, Yeah I'm really happy with it. Unfortunately the pics do it no justice at all though. The colour is much more vibrant and shinier outside than the ones I got today. I will wait a few days and take some more with curls. I really like the red. Dh tried his best, but got sick of me telling him how to take them and he called it quits. Family members really liked it and would like to use henna too.
Funny how pictures can look so different. My husband gets sick of taking photo's too my last picture was the first in 2 months because of that reason.:rolleyes: