Google

Web forums.longhaircommunity.com

View Full Version : Are scrunchies bad for me?

SlingMomEsq
November 10th, 2005, 03:37 PM
I did a search on here and did not come up with much. Would have bumped an old thread, too, to ask, but they all were locked.

Been to a few stores around here and can't find those cool stick thingies you all use. I used a pencil today and it DID work before ds #2 yanked it out! (My boys never seem to yank my scrunchies...wonder what was so tempting about a pencil....lol....)

The french twist on one of the threads was DIVINE.

Ooops.....sorry to ramble OT!!! :)

Pegasus Marsters
November 10th, 2005, 03:39 PM
I used a pencil today and it DID work before ds #2 yanked it out! (My boys never seem to yank my scrunchies...wonder what was so tempting about a pencil....lol....)

I don't get it either.. I'm safe with scrunchies but the second I use a fork of any kind a friend will have to go "YOINKAGE!!" and pull it out. Damn them! Even my mother does it!:rolleyes:

daughter of eve
November 11th, 2005, 12:52 PM
I'm very new here, but from what I've read it sounded to me like scrunchies are good for your hair. Seems they cause less breakage since they don't catch your hair. I picked up a couple ( two for a dollar) for damp bunning and Feye's hair trimming method, and I really like them.

Sapphire'sWings
November 11th, 2005, 01:01 PM
Scrunchies are great. In fact,they're the only thing I wear on my hair because I haven't found hairsticks and my hair killed my claw clips. :smile: I have not noticed damage from scrunchies. Just remove them gently.

Elbereth
November 11th, 2005, 01:04 PM
Scrunchies are hair friendly. Most of the toys you see on these boards are bought from online stores (there's a thread that contains some popular online hairtoys shops stickied on the products board). Real stores carry mostly cheap hairtoys that are poor quality and not hair friendly.

Some online hairstick sellers that come to my mind first are Maiden's Treasures, Mamacat (from Ebay), Ron Quattro, Longlocks, Vanamiri (VM hairsticks) from Ebay, Sticks & Stones at Longhairloom web site and Ketylo. There are many more though, internet is such a great place to shop hair goodies. :cloud9:

ChloeDharma
November 11th, 2005, 01:05 PM
I swear by scrunchies and i have quite a few of them myself. Of course not all scrunchies are equal, some are made from rougher material so avoid them. But there are so many about that are smooth, or you could probably make them if you are one of those clever people who can make stuff (in other words NOT like me! lol) you can make your own. I'm sure i've seen instructions on a thread here but i can't think for the life of me where it is!
Anyway, don't stress about it. As i said, as long as the material is smooth and doesn't snag the hair i'm sure you are fine.

zift
November 11th, 2005, 01:08 PM
Hello I love scrunchies, they're so nice on hair and the most comfortable thing to make ponytails on my hair . Actually I can't wear ponys with every ponyholder the weight just pulls some hair and hurts scalp.
and in addition I'm one updotarded person(copyright Speedy:D) and can't do a decent light feeling nicely weight distributed bun with hairsticks :grin:

13bodies
November 11th, 2005, 02:15 PM
I don't get it either.. I'm safe with scrunchies but the second I use a fork of any kind a friend will have to go "YOINKAGE!!" and pull it out. Damn them! Even my mother does it!:rolleyes:

That's why you wear two hairsticks. If someone yanks one out, you stab 'em with the other one. :twisted:

Some online hairstick sellers that come to my mind first are Maiden's Treasures, Mamacat (from Ebay), Ron Quattro, Longlocks, Vanamiri (VM hairsticks) from Ebay, Sticks & Stones at Longhairloom web site and Ketylo. There are many more though, internet is such a great place to shop hair goodies.

Don't forget Blondiesturn! Of course, her sticks are curved and are therefore not as good for stabbing. :uhh:

Quirky
November 11th, 2005, 02:18 PM
Scrunchies rule!

Pierre
November 11th, 2005, 02:19 PM
Unless you're a Calormene used to curved weapons ;)

Saldana
November 11th, 2005, 02:42 PM

I have a hairstick yanker in my life, who NEVER goes after the scrunchies. I finally asked "WHY??"

The answer?
".... because I love to pull the stick and watch your hair tumble down. It doesn't work with a scrunchie."

Oh.

justgreen
November 11th, 2005, 02:47 PM
I http://www.cheesebuerger.de/images/smilie/liebe/d026.gif my scrunchies! I even use them for bun wraps! http://www.cheesebuerger.de/images/smilie/liebe/a106.gif

Pegasus Marsters
November 11th, 2005, 02:57 PM
13bodies: I try that.. my friends formed tag teams to remove them at the same time, fools!

Saldana: I guess that's true.... but re-doing your updo 20 times in as many minutes really does take the biscuit;)

tweek
November 11th, 2005, 04:37 PM
Unless you're a Calormene used to curved weapons ;)

I just had to give props to this, above. Right on, Pierre!:hollie:

As for the main topic, scrunchies are all I wear in my hair. I'm a disaster when it comes to doing my hair up. My hair is very fine and slippery. Headbands slide around, hair sticks fall out, claws scratch my scalp, barrettes pinch...the list goes on. I normally have a scrunchie in at the base of my neck, and use one to make the most beautiful damp buns after a shower. My scalp and hair both thank me.

Carolyn
November 11th, 2005, 04:46 PM
I love scrunchies. The only ones I avoid are the ones decorated with sequins or beads or look like they are made of coarse fabric. Fabrics I like are velvet, silk, polyester satin, soft cotton knits or those stretchy knit ones. Can't think of what the fabric is called. I can just see my hair tying itself in knots around a sequin. Look at Claires or an Icing for inexpensive hair accessories. They have some hairsticks. Be sure to check for rough edges. Some can be smoothed out with a nail file. If you are near a Nordstoms check there for Mei Fa sticks. Not all Nordies carry them anymore. There are lots of great places to order on the net that were mentioned above.

Koala Kim
November 12th, 2005, 02:58 AM
Scrunchies are great! :inlove:
I always have an emergency scrunchie in my purse.

That's why you wear two hairsticks. If someone yanks one out, you stab 'em with the other one. :twisted:
Hair sticks are better. :twisted:
Don't forget Blondiesturn! Of course, her sticks are curved and are therefore not as good for stabbing. :uhh:
They could probably still do damage in a pinch. :twisted:

Diana
November 12th, 2005, 03:41 AM
I must get some scrunchies. Im a bit scared to wear them though, because they were something I stopped using as a kid. So I wonder how they would look in my hair? Do you think they look ok to wear out, or to work and everything? And for people who like to wear their scrunchies out, do you go for smaller ones, or big scrunchies? Anyway, I guess the only way to find out is buy some and give them a go. If I dont feel comfy wearing them out they will still be a handy hair tool for at home.

XTINY
November 12th, 2005, 04:48 AM
I wear mine every day. So as long as it's soft fabric you should be ok.

zule
November 12th, 2005, 08:40 AM
Around the house (gardening, cleaning or anything raising dirt/dust), I use nylon, polyester, etc. ones. They're rather small.

For wearing to work, I use large silk ones. The extra volume just looks nicer/dressier to me. Go figure--a scrunchie as dressy! LOL

eBay is a great source, BTW. They're really cheap and there's a lot of variety. Search both under "scrunchy" and "scrunchie," because different sellers spell them different ways. Postage is usually cheap because they're very light.

Altho' postage goes up in January--again.

Willswalk
November 12th, 2005, 09:03 AM
SlingMom do you have a Claire's in your area?

tweek
November 12th, 2005, 11:51 AM
I wear my scrunchies, everywhere. You can find so many kinds, including velvet. I often get compliments on my hair, and asked where I bought this or that scrunchie.

However, a woman came to one of our shows, a few weeks ago, sporting an electric blue lame' scrunchie so big that it made it look as if she had an extra, alien head attached. Avoid situations like this, and you'll be just fine. :grin:

james_boring
November 12th, 2005, 11:06 PM
Scrunchies are great. In fact,they're the only thing I wear on my hair because I haven't found hairsticks and my hair killed my claw clips. :smile: I have not noticed damage from scrunchies. Just remove them gently.

Claws for sure cause dammage...

Scrunchies sometimes do, but only if you are making a really tight ponytail, and have hair prone to breakage...

lissomllama
November 12th, 2005, 11:42 PM
I don't use any form of elastic on my hair, I just don't like the idea of anything with springy action, forcing or bending my hair, I won't even use those hosiery thingies. I always end my ponies or braids with small jaw clips that just encircle the hair. Anyway, that's just me and my INCREDIBLY fragile hair.

SlingMomEsq
November 13th, 2005, 06:53 AM
SlingMom do you have a Claire's in your area?

Yup. Thanks. Also looked at Nordies yesterday, and went into a salon yesterday and asked for a molded comb and they looked at me like I was nuts!!!

Must get to those online sites....I NEED the tools.

You guys ROCK with all those suggestions!

I have only been on here for a week or so and I FEEL IMPROVEMENTS!

Did I tell you lately how GLAD I am to find you all???? :)

csdev
November 13th, 2005, 07:30 AM
I read somewhere that velvet scrunchies cause the *least* breakage - is this true?

Also, are small claw clips also bad for the hair?

zule
November 13th, 2005, 09:00 AM
Claws for sure cause dammage...

Thanks, James. I've been wondering about that. I have several beautiful ones, although my favorite is very heavy. The problem with mine are that they always cause headaches and I end up taking them out. This is good to know, because now I can get rid of them without feeling too guilty.

Elbereth
November 13th, 2005, 10:40 PM
Ok, I confess. I have never worn a scrunchie outside home. BUT, they are still indispensable for making quick ponies for home use. I also believe that once my hair grows a bit, I will be able to use scrunchies with braided styles outside. I have nothing against scrunchies- I just don't like to wear ponytails in public. :silly:

lissomllama, I can relate with you - my hair is so fragile too. Your idea of little jaw clips sounds so cute! I don't think I can try that myself though... my hair is also so slippery that I must use elastics for everything. I can't still even make a bun without a ponytail base. Blah.

SlingMomEsq: Of course you'll need good tools and nice toys. You should see the flow of little packages from US that arrive to me several times a month. :face: Not that I'm trying to enable you or anything like that... but nice tools and hairtoys have made growing my hair much more fun for me. A price of just one stylist visit will go a long way even when we're talking about quality hairtoys.