Google

Web forums.longhaircommunity.com

View Full Version : Experiences with walnut shell powder as a dye?

jorunn
October 24th, 2005, 07:02 AM
Hi,

has anyone of you tried to darken her / his hair with walnut shell? It is supposed to give a darker, browner shade. I triefd it in a 50/50 mix with henna but I doubt it had any effect. My original haircolor was brown (between medium and dark I guess).

If you tried walnut, what are your experiences with it? I did a search but was not very lucky.

Bye

Jorunn

MariaAZ
October 24th, 2005, 09:08 AM
I've never tried black walnut shell powder on a whole head of hair, but I DID experiment with it on test strands, and I was never able to get it to work. I don't remember all the recipes I tried, but I remember it was enough for me and I finally gave up on it.

her.covering
October 26th, 2005, 08:01 PM
This sounds interesting to me...I'd like to hear if anyone has used this too!

ca_cowgirl
October 27th, 2005, 03:53 AM
I've used it mixed in with henna... I didn't notice any difference either. I think maybe the dye release takes longer? I haven't researched it much...

MariaAZ
October 27th, 2005, 05:52 PM
I actually left hair samples in the walnut hull paste for the better part of a day & got no reaction.

Lone
October 28th, 2005, 03:33 AM
I looked up black walnut in my little book that has a dye section, and they say that it has to be the green hulls (they don't say if fresh or dried, but I would think fresh) and that it gives a dark brown color. I think they would need to be fresh as I remember picking walnuts when I was a child and the green hulls staining my hands brown.

As a side note, it says elsewhere that black walnut leaves have cleansing/detergent properties.

jorunn
October 29th, 2005, 03:22 PM
Thanks for your answers.

The powder I used should be the green hulls, dried and then grounded (gr. / sp?)

And it is supposed too dye hair daark brown. I read about people already using walnut hulls dye hair hundreds of years ago.

But it doesn't seem to do the job with my hair. And it seems like there are not too much people who use this method :-(

A pity because I would like to have more of a red-brown instead of a henna-red.

Bye

Jorunn