Google

Web forums.longhaircommunity.com

View Full Version : How do you store your shea butter?

misguidedrose
October 19th, 2005, 11:37 PM
I just bought a 4 oz container of NOW 100% Shea Butter from vitaglo.com and had it sitting in my bathroom for the past few days. Do I need to refrigerate it or can I just leave it sitting out like that? I went to open it tonight and the thing was FULL OF FREAKIN' ANTS! :scared:GROSSGROSSGROSSgrossgrossgross! I hate swarms of ants :puke:

Anyway, I put the jar in a ziploc bag and it's in the bathroom, and I'm wondering if I should put it in the 'fridge or keep it away from moisture or anything? Suggestions?

CimarronSun
October 20th, 2005, 04:03 AM
While Shea doesn't need to be refrigerated... it WILL last longer if you do. Plus it'll keep the ants out of it. ;)

Refrigeration will extend the shelf life.

Carolyn
October 20th, 2005, 04:38 AM
I don't refrigerate mine but if you are having a problem with ants yes do keep it in the fridge.

Ursula
October 20th, 2005, 04:47 AM
If you are getting ants into it, I'd double check what type of container it is in. A screw-top jar, closed firmly, shouldn't let ants in.

My shea butter came in a glass screw top jar, and I've never refrigerated it, and haven't had any problems. It is about 1/2 year old, and I'm getting to the bottom of the jar. I keep it in my purse - it is my prefered lotion on the go, since it stays pretty solid.

ETA: For the shea butter you have now, I'd suggest melting it, filtering it through a strainer and paper coffee filter to get out the ants, and re-storing it in a clean, tightly closing jar. Leave this alone for a month, tightly closed and undisturbed, and see if you find ants in it then - if so, it may be contaminated by ant eggs, and get rid of it.

Delenn
October 20th, 2005, 05:05 AM
EEK!! *mental note, take a peek in the bathroom closet for ants when I get home from work*

dancingbarefoot
October 20th, 2005, 07:11 AM
If you are getting ants into it, I'd double check what type of container it is in. A screw-top jar, closed firmly, shouldn't let ants in.

Never underestimate the ingenuity of Hawaiian ants. They can get into anything. :wink: (When I lived in Hawaii, I once opened a sealed package of cookies to find the entire thing crawling with ants. :scared: They'll find a way in somehow. :wink:)

To get back on topic, I leave my shea butter in its jar on my bathroom counter. No problems yet.

wonderlywroughte
October 20th, 2005, 07:17 AM
To get back on topic, I leave my shea butter in its jar on my bathroom counter. No problems yet.

Same here. Only my jar is on my dresser. But nothing fancy!

dancingmegs
October 20th, 2005, 07:42 AM
I got mine in a swap, and it's still in the plastic wrap and baggie it came in.

I really need to melt it down and put it in a container of some sort. Is there anything I need to know about melting it, or can I just stick it in a bowl in the microwave?

Faerie_Princess
October 20th, 2005, 09:44 AM
I've recently ordered shea from the agbangakarite site. Is ants in the butter a common thing? I know that it's like food to them probably, but it is hit and miss whether or not I'll get an ant-egg contaminated batch?

BTW: your hair's a beauty, misguidedrose. sorry about your shea butter.

wonderlywroughte
October 20th, 2005, 10:25 AM
I'm not sure how common ant egg contamination is, but my shea butter is from agbanga karite as well and its just dandy! :grin:

Cowgal
October 20th, 2005, 10:26 AM
I've recently ordered shea from the agbangakarite site. Is ants in the butter a common thing? I know that it's like food to them probably, but it is hit and miss whether or not I'll get an ant-egg contaminated batch?

It must be a food. While I was away in Europe a mouse was feasting on my Chagrin Valley Shea butter bar. :rolleyes: He ate half of it and left a nice lil 'present' on top for me. :twisted:

I bet his fur was nice and shiny though. :wink:

Faerie_Princess
October 20th, 2005, 12:06 PM
I'm not sure how common ant egg contamination is, but my shea butter is from agbanga karite as well and its just dandy! :grin:
Thanks for the reassurance, ww. I can't wait for it to get here. When it does, I'll keep the jar in a bag just in case. We've got ants and mice around.
It must be a food. While I was away in Europe a mouse was feasting on my Chagrin Valley Shea butter bar. He ate half of it and left a nice lil 'present' on top for me.
Gross! Sorry about your shea, too, Cowgal.

misguidedrose
October 20th, 2005, 01:27 PM
Oh, and just to clarify, it was fine and sealed with a foil seal on the screw-top jar when I got the shea butter in the mail. It only got infested after I opened it and left it in the bathroom for a few days.

I cleaned out the ants and all (BLEH!) but was just wondering if it needed to be in the fridge anyway.

BTW Hawaiian ants really do eat everything. They eat scotch tape, glue, and shoes too (I'm guessing because of the adhesive in the shoe).

I guess my shea butter will just have to live in the Ziploc!

dancingbarefoot
October 20th, 2005, 02:16 PM
It's not that there are ants or ant eggs in the shea butter when you order it. It's simply that the ants in her house were attracted to the smell. :twocents:

singindierain
October 21st, 2005, 03:50 AM
I store my CB's SIAS in the fridge I know that has shea butter inside it. HTH

Delenn
October 21st, 2005, 04:08 AM
Whew, no ants found my stash. Tucked it into a ziploc just in case though. ;)

CimarronSun
October 21st, 2005, 04:41 AM
BTW Hawaiian ants really do eat everything. They eat scotch tape, glue, and shoes too (I'm guessing because of the adhesive in the shoe).

Wow! That is amazing! Destructive little buggers! Put your shoes in the 'fridge too! :lol:

:wink:

curls2grow
October 21st, 2005, 04:24 PM
I don't refrigerate mine -- it's on my bathroom counter. I never thought that ants might be attracted to it, but I am going to keep be on the lookout for them now. :suspect:

Tresses
October 21st, 2005, 04:40 PM
I keep the 1 pound jar I got from Agbanga Karite in the fridge, but keep a small amount of it in a 2oz. plastic jar in my bedroom.

Anybody know how long it will stay good in the fridge? I think 1 pound is going to last me 20 years at the rate I use it. :rolleyes: