Google

Web forums.longhaircommunity.com

View Full Version : Do you Henna on wet or dry hair?

laurachiplock
October 19th, 2005, 03:08 AM
I should be getting my henna any day now, & I've always applied it to my dry hair, but it seems as though putting it on wet or damp hair would be MUCH easier to work through. I wonder if it affects the color uptake?
Anyone have any opinions?

Burgundyhair
October 19th, 2005, 04:37 AM
I've applied henna on both dry and wet/damp hair. I prefer damp hair as it is much easier to work with for me. There was no difference in the outcome.

I've also done a couple of henna glossings. That is done with damp hair, and the colour is still significant.

I think everyone needs to experiment and find out what works best for them. :)

Koala Kim
October 19th, 2005, 04:41 AM
I've tried it both ways and much prefer applying to damp/wet hair. For me at least, it makes the application easier. :grin:
Applying to damp/wet hair does not affect the color.

CurlyBrunette
October 19th, 2005, 07:32 AM
I also apply it to wet/damp hair. Its much easier to work with when applying and also when rinsing out.

dianet
October 19th, 2005, 08:31 AM
i will let you know friday! thursday i plan on doing my henna with wet hair for the first time. i do think it would be easier on wet as it can't get much harder than on dry!

MariaAZ
October 19th, 2005, 12:04 PM
I've done both and prefer dry. When I've applied to damp hair, I get a lot more dripping. However, it IS easier to apply to damp hair, although yoghurt in the henna mix has made it much easier to apply to dry hair.

redfirecherryop
October 19th, 2005, 07:54 PM
I use to put it on my hair that was dry. But now I usually wash my hair first then as its in a towl. Ill go and get the henna. Then smear and smoosh it in.
Leave it on as long as I can stand it. (Usually 2 to 4 hours)

redfirecherryopal

Kat
October 19th, 2005, 08:23 PM
Burgundy, how much henna did you use for your gloss? I'm thinking about doing mine but the people over at henna for hair weren't much help--I think I need to hear from someone who actually has long hair! Someone on henna for hair said they'd used two tablespoons on hair that's shorter than mine and it didn't do anything; they suggested that I try at least five tablespoons...

Flaxen
October 19th, 2005, 09:00 PM
I've also done both, and I prefer dry. I can do it by simply changing into a henna t-shirt, applying the henna, and leaving the bathroom, dry and fairly presentable...well, if you consider a huge head covered with a plastic bag and a towel presentable, that is.:lol: I like the way the henna mud grabs the dry hair. It doesn't drip done that way, but I don't think it dripped the time I applied it to wet hair, either.:ponder:

SimplyLonghair
October 19th, 2005, 09:22 PM
Burgundy, how much henna did you use for your gloss? I'm thinking about doing mine but the people over at henna for hair weren't much help--I think I need to hear from someone who actually has long hair! Someone on henna for hair said they'd used two tablespoons on hair that's shorter than mine and it didn't do anything; they suggested that I try at least five tablespoons...

Hi Kat, I didn't see how long your hair was but I have used henna gloss and when I did I used about 1/4 cup of left over henna that I had frozen in enough conditioner to do a CO on my hair. I have also used as little as 50grams of henna mixed in 24 oz of yogurt and did a regular henna. By using the yogurt I have cut way down on the amount of henna used to henna my hair. I think that the yogurt gives much better dye release or something. I am now able to henna much more often and don't every have long standing roots which I love! My hair is down right above my waist and if I used the 24 oz of yogurt, I was also able to do a root henna to my daughters hair. That would be like doing henna to about 30 inches of lots of fine hair.
HTH:smile:

laurachiplock
October 20th, 2005, 01:39 AM
Thanks everyone- I think Ill try to put it on damp hair tomorrow. I have to get going on it because I think the Ojon restorative treatment I used stripped alot of the henna out of my hair!! Not happy.

Burgundyhair
October 20th, 2005, 03:59 AM

I haven't done a glossing in a while. Here is what I found from my journal:

"I did a henna gloss last night. I"m very pleased with the results.
I had read that a henna gloss wouldn't do much on darker hair, but I used a pre-mixed henna for my experiment. It gave some deeper burgundy highlights in some places, and the rest turned dark brown/black. It's not as intense as when I do a full henna. It basically looks like when my hair is just starting to fade from a full henna application. This is definately a keeper!

I mixed 4 tsps with a bit of water and waited for the dye to release, then I mixed that with conditioner. I need to find an applicator bottle to make the application easier."

CTH3989
October 20th, 2005, 05:05 AM
When you say henna I think of tattoo's. What does henna do to your hair?

Chelci

Kat
October 20th, 2005, 09:35 AM
Thanks guys!

Chelci, henna makes your hair red! (or, you can add other things to nudge it more toward brown or even black).

Check out http://www.hennaforhair.com.

KarenLynn
October 20th, 2005, 11:38 AM
Here's an old poll (http://forums.longhaircommunity.com/showthread.php?t=22501) regarding this.

Personally, I've always done it on dry hair, and have no plans to change that. It works fine for me.

CTH3989
October 20th, 2005, 12:17 PM
Thanks guys!

Chelci, henna makes your hair red! (or, you can add other things to nudge it more toward brown or even black).

Check out http://www.hennaforhair.com.

Is henna safe for your hair? It won't dry it out or damage it in any way?

Chelci

Flaxen
October 20th, 2005, 12:29 PM
Is henna safe for your hair? It won't dry it out or damage it in any way?

Chelci
Body art quality(BAQ) henna is absolutely safe. There are very rare instances of allergy, so if your skin is ultra sensitive, a patch test is a must.

Sometimes the hair feels dry when henna is first done, but it's often because rinsing was not thorough enough. Henna should be followed with a nice moisturizing conditioner(leave it on a few minutes) or an oil treatment, and the silkiness and strengthening is fantastic!

CTH3989
October 20th, 2005, 01:01 PM
Oh, ok. Thank you for your help.

Chelci

Kat
October 20th, 2005, 06:13 PM
Yup, the only "henna" that could damage your hair is the stuff with other things added. If you buy it in some sort of beauty store, it's probably not the good stuff. Pure henna will be GOOD for your hair!

dianet
October 21st, 2005, 08:21 AM
checking back in after last night's henna expirament. i would definitely say wet hair is the way to go. or to be more accurate, damp hair. i took a shower and CO washed my hair. then i took my microfiber towel and squeezed out all the excess water. then i applied and it was wonderful and so much easier. also, for the first time, i used one of those highlighter brushes stylists use for coloring. i used it for my roots and it made things so much easier!! i had no drips at all (i always try to make sure that my henna mix is like thick yogurt consistency). just wonderful!