Google

Web forums.longhaircommunity.com

View Full Version : Wrapping hair around head to smooth/straighten....

Meezer
October 2nd, 2005, 06:54 AM
Does anyone have any experience in doing this? Any instructions? I like wearing my curls smooth sometimes, but I am trying my very best to stay away from the ceramic iron... not sure if it will happen, but I am trying. I've read about hair wrapping in a few places, but I'm not sure exactly how to do this. :confused:

Sara
October 2nd, 2005, 07:23 AM
I think I know what you're talking about, but unfortunately don't know how to do it either. I remember hearing a teacher telling someone about wrapping your hair around your head, so that it becomes real straight and smooth, but I could never find anything about it on the internet. Maybe, someone on the board knows about it.

Cichelle
October 2nd, 2005, 07:46 AM
I've never done it, but I've seen it done a gazillion times.

Basically, you are using your head as a huge roller. You can start by maybe adding some leave in conditioner. Then you comb all your hair down...without a part. What I mean is, you are combing it down all the way around from a center spot on top of your head. At this point, I've seen some people put in setting lotion, but I'm not really sure that's necessary. I guess it depends on your preference. Then you start smoothing the hair in one direction, either clockwise or counter clockwise. (Some people use a comb to do this.) You have to get the hair smooth around the head. You just keep wrapping it until it is all smoothly around the head (I've seen some people use a brush to finish the smoothing so that it is really sleek against their head) and then you secure it. Some people use huge bobby pins and other people use some kind of tape/strips made for this purpose, but usually the tape or bobby pins are placed vertically and evenly spaced around the head. I've heard that it is really important to let the hair dry completely before taking the wrap down. How long that would take would obviously vary.

This is one technique. Perhaps others know of different ways to do this.

HTH!

ETA: Some people use a scarf over their wrapped hair to secure it.

Instantblue
October 2nd, 2005, 07:49 AM
I've never tried it, but I found these instructions on this (http://www.lhj.com/lhj/story.jhtml?storyid=/templatedata/lhj/story/data/MG_BoldHairMoves_08042005.xml) site that sort of explain it. It's also mentioned in the Curly Girl book in one of the confessions. She calls it abugela, but a google search didn't seem to turn anything up.

Breakout Beauty Tip: Straight Hair -- Blow-Dryer, Flat Iron Need Not Apply Revolutionary Results: Super Smooth, Frizz-Free Hair Without the Heat

Love your hair straight hair, hate dealing with heat tools? Next time you want to go straight, make it a "wrap." An old-school smoothing and styling method, the wrap is an effective, electricity-free way to get that modern, smooth, straight style everyone loves. Part hair in the middle and divide into four large sections, two in the front, two in the back. Starting on the right side of your head, wrap the hair in the first, front section to your head, securing it with large bobby pins. Continue in a clockwise manner wrapping and pinning each section until all your hair is "wrapped" around your head and secured with bobby pins. Allow to dry completely, remove pins, and comb out your straight style!

justgreen
October 2nd, 2005, 07:49 AM
I had a girlfriend that did this....she had really thin curly hair and would wrap it around her head to straighten it and it also made it look thicker....

Meezer
October 2nd, 2005, 08:20 AM
Thanks, everyone! I'm going to give this a honest go tonight. It sounds like something that may take a few tries to master, but I'm willing to give it a shot. :D

If anyone else has any additional instructions/links, please post them as well.

TIA

zule
October 2nd, 2005, 08:31 AM
This may sound so sexist, and I don't mean it to. But the curlies want to try to make it straight; the straights try to make it curly, and we're all just trying something, sooner or later, to change what we have. I just don't see men doing this quite as much. No wonder guys are confused by women! :lol:

Lady_Evalyn
October 2nd, 2005, 08:34 AM
If anyone gets it to work, please explain your method. I'd love to try this, but I don't really understand how.

Hehe, first time I read this thread, I was picturing someone with really long hair coiling it around their head and under their neck and stuff. lol

wonderlywroughte
October 2nd, 2005, 12:26 PM
This sounds so intriguing. Meezer, I can't wait to hear about your results! I might try and give this a go as well, but it would be my luck that it wouldn't even be close to dry when I woke up . :smile: That and I don't have any regular bobby pins, heh..

justgreen
October 2nd, 2005, 12:29 PM
This sounds so intriguing. Meezer, I can't wait to hear about your results! I might try and give this a go as well, but it would be my luck that it wouldn't even be close to dry when I woke up . :smile: That and I don't have any regular bobby pins, heh..

I can remember watching my friend do this, and she did it with her hair dried, smoothed on a bit of DD(dippity do, i'd substitue aloe here) and wrapped, put a cap on and went to bed.

PattyE
October 2nd, 2005, 12:36 PM
Gee, your hair is pretty as it is. However, I know wearing hair the same way all the time gets boring. THis is a good question as having straighter hair would be interesting to try. DOn't you wonder what wavy hair would look like being a 1a? Hum. I have wondered this. Sorry I can't give you any answers as I am in the same boat as you.

PattyE

http://www.ifthensoftware.net/grandfam/Patty2.jpg http://www.ifthensoftware.net/grandfam/Patty3.jpg

dlewis
October 2nd, 2005, 01:16 PM
Love your hair straight hair, hate dealing with heat tools? Next time you want to go straight, make it a "wrap." An old-school smoothing and styling method, the wrap is an effective, electricity-free way to get that modern, smooth, straight style everyone loves. Part hair in the middle and divide into four large sections, two in the front, two in the back. Starting on the right side of your head, wrap the hair in the first, front section to your head, securing it with large bobby pins. Continue in a clockwise manner wrapping and pinning each section until all your hair is "wrapped" around your head and secured with bobby pins. Allow to dry completely, remove pins, and comb out your straight style!

I use this method to straighten my hair and have done so for the past 15 years. My mother also use this method when she was in high school and college. These are good instructions. :flowers:

spunkymonki87
October 2nd, 2005, 01:19 PM
A good friend of mine has done this with nice results after her mother told her about doing the same thing. My friend's hair isn't curly, just wavy, and she said she went over the less straight parts with an iron :eek: in the morning. It did look nice and she said it wasn't very hard to do --the hair is held around the head by bobby pins.
Although I do agree with the comment about women with straight hair wanting curly hair, etc, to each his own. Whatever floats your boat, eh? You're concious of what means you go by to achieve a different hair texture, and that's awesome :)

LittleWing
October 2nd, 2005, 01:32 PM
Ooh, I'm going to try this one too. Thanks all! :)

dixie
October 2nd, 2005, 02:11 PM
we did that in the 60's with dippity doo and one giant orange juice can as roller on the crown

Viviane
October 2nd, 2005, 07:46 PM
I know many with ethnic ladies do this.
You wrap hair closely around your head. A little like a crown braid, you just roll it around combing it flat as you go. Add bobby pins every two inches to keep it flat and on top of this put a silk scarf and you are good to go to sleep.

Lalita
October 3rd, 2005, 04:02 AM
I would like to try this, but i'm still not quite sure on the instructions...If you divide your hair into four pieces and start wrapping from the right front side won't it overlap the other hair pieces...i guess i just can't visualize what it's supposed to look like. I would like to see some pictures of the whole process if anyone is willing to do that or knows where to find some.

Zequana
October 3rd, 2005, 06:00 AM
Pictures please! I don't get it :)
Maybe someone could take pictures and show us and possibly make an Article in the Articles board?

TwirlyTresses
October 3rd, 2005, 08:23 AM
I'd love pictures, too! I'm just not getting it. :ponder:

Meezer
October 3rd, 2005, 08:28 AM

This is what I'm concerned about as well. My hair is NEVR dry by morning when I sleep on it damp. I'm also concerned that b/c my hair has a tendency to "puff" as dries, it will puff up between the bobby pins and create weird dents. I think I will have to try this when I have no where to go the next day... just to be on the safe side. ;)

Bambii
October 3rd, 2005, 10:29 AM
I'm interested in knowing how to do this, also! Instructions w/ photos would be awesome! :thumbsup:

SkyDancer
October 3rd, 2005, 01:19 PM
Can be done on wet or dry hair. Good to sleep with :]
How to Wrap Set (http://www.motionshair.com/ht_4a_hairwraps.cfm)
Sleek Wrap Set (http://www.blackhairmedia.com/hairhowto.htm)

Miya
October 3rd, 2005, 04:36 PM
This hair technique is also called a doobie :wink:. Women use setting lotion, part their hair down the middle, and comb clockwise into a cone shape, and use a wrap strip and hair clips to pin the style and sit under the dryer.

My version- S&C, use leave-in and hmde butter in my hair and put it in 2 ponytails. I'd then wrap them around my head securing them with bobby pins, then I'd use an extra long wrap strip (from the beauty supply) and wrap it around my head securing it with a bobby pin. Then I put a 2 1/2 to 3inch wide black net velcro strip around it and let it dry overnite. The last times I did this I skipped the the paper strip, put the velcro net wrap around my hair, and pulled out the bobby pins.

(The paper wrap strips stretch when you use them but you get 40 in a box for about $2-4 bucks .)
HTH

Onebeauty
October 3rd, 2005, 05:38 PM
I am so still not getting it. I think I understand the process but I really need to see pictures.

coppercurls
October 3rd, 2005, 06:45 PM
I have heard of this but I have never tried it. I am glad this was posted, because I was thinking about trying this. I may try it this weekend. If anyone does this please post pictures of procedure and results.

Athena's Owl
October 3rd, 2005, 07:03 PM
wrap strips?
velcro net wraps?

what is this stuff?

Pilgrim
October 3rd, 2005, 07:39 PM
I remember this method from the early 70's, but I never tried it myself. My preferred method (in case you are looking for other possibilities, as well) was to put my freshly washed hair in a ponytail on the top of my head and wrap tightly around four huge rollers. It took so long to dry that I would wash my hair right after school, put it up and take it out the next morning - and it would often be still damp. It wasn't too difficult to sleep on. I'm thinking the wrap method would also take a long time to dry. But it might still have a smoothing effect.

Good luck!

Julie

mostylist
October 3rd, 2005, 08:22 PM
Whats wrong with flat ironing with ceramic iron. as long as you don't do it to often the heat makes your hair shine.

spunkymonki87
October 3rd, 2005, 08:40 PM
Well, I guess it's just a matter of personal preference. Some probably do not want to have anything to do with irons/etc and see this as a nice alternative, (along with ACV rinses for shine.) I think that in the long run, every little bit of straightening and what not adds up. Once again, just a matter of preference, really :D

Athena's Owl
October 3rd, 2005, 09:10 PM
Whats wrong with flat ironing with ceramic iron. as long as you don't do it to often the heat makes your hair shine.

because every time you use heat, you damage your hair. the're no get out of jail free card, so if you want to change your hair's curl texture temporarily with minimal damage, then you use no-heat methods to accomplish it.

besides, ceramic flat irons suck. they never did a good job on straightening my hair. why use something that doesn't work?

Lalita
October 4th, 2005, 04:05 AM
I remember this method from the early 70's, but I never tried it myself. My preferred method (in case you are looking for other possibilities, as well) was to put my freshly washed hair in a ponytail on the top of my head and wrap tightly around four huge rollers. It took so long to dry that I would wash my hair right after school, put it up and take it out the next morning - and it would often be still damp. It wasn't too difficult to sleep on. I'm thinking the wrap method would also take a long time to dry. But it might still have a smoothing effect.

Good luck!

Julie

I tried the method with the pony tail on top of my head with large rollers and like you, it took forever to dry and was still damp when i took it down. It left me with big waves and lots of volume (I liked it), but from the description of this method it describes it as leaving hair "straight" which i'm visualizing as with no wave. I really hope someone can find pictures!

justgreen
October 4th, 2005, 05:08 AM
I tried the method with the pony tail on top of my head with large rollers and like you, it took forever to dry and was still damp when i took it down. It left me with big waves and lots of volume (I liked it), but from the description of this method it describes it as leaving hair "straight" which i'm visualizing as with no wave. I really hope someone can find pictures!

When i did this, i always allowed my hair to dry 3/4 of the way before rolling it...i've done it a couple of times lately and before rolling, i applied a couple of drops of jojoba oil mixed with clear aloe gel to the ends...less waves, more straight!

Miya
October 4th, 2005, 11:40 AM
I wish I had a digital camera so I could post pics for you guys.

Athena-
I just measured my velcro net wrap- it's about 22" long and 5 inches wide in the middle with tapered ends- they're about $2-3 dollars each at the beauty supply. (I have at least 8 of them probably more.)
The stretchy paper wrap strips are 24" long and 3.5" wide :smile:.

OR Cowgirl
October 5th, 2005, 04:17 PM
Any luck with pictures, anyone?! I'd really like to try this but I just can't picture it. Please help!

MariahL.

LCA
October 7th, 2005, 05:31 AM
My mother does the doobie for me every time I wash my hair. From my personal experience it's the greatest thing that's ever happened for my hair. My hair is very wavy and dry . It's makes my hair so so soft, silky, and stick straight . The greatest thing is is that there is no heat and nothing to damage your hair !!! It's keeps my hair in good condition. I will try to get pics !!!

careful
October 14th, 2005, 01:18 PM
My preferred method (in case you are looking for other possibilities, as well) was to put my freshly washed hair in a ponytail on the top of my head and wrap tightly around four huge rollers. It took so long to dry that I would wash my hair right after school, put it up and take it out the next morning - and it would often be still damp. It wasn't too difficult to sleep on.

Phew, I'm glad I found this post as I have been searching like mad!!!

I tried this method of wash/air dry (or blow dry for expedience)/ponytail/roll into four follers and IT IS A GREAT METHOD!! THANKS FOR POSTING THIS!!

It didn't, however, necessary straighen it, which is the original topic. It gave me nice big, controlled waves. However I could add more aloe (or trusty Rusk Deep Shine) and it would indeed be much straigher and smoother. Now, I just have to figure out how to control the amount of this to keep it form looking too oily! But I am learning.

Diana
November 15th, 2005, 06:05 AM
Ok, Ive dragged this topic back up again because I really really want to be able to try it, but still dont understand how to actually do it! Ive gone to all the links, and tried googling various terms, but still no joy! Does anyone who understands how to do this have a digital camera? I would love pictures of it. Ive been drying my hair by putting it into a bun, which smoothes the scalp hair beautifuly, but I am still having to blow dry the ends to get them smooth. I would lie to try the giant roller method also, but need to find some suitabe rollers.
Ok, any any help would be greatly appreciated!

justgreen
November 15th, 2005, 07:05 AM
Ok, Ive dragged this topic back up again because I really really want to be able to try it, but still dont understand how to actually do it! Ive gone to all the links, and tried googling various terms, but still no joy! Does anyone who understands how to do this have a digital camera? I would love pictures of it. Ive been drying my hair by putting it into a bun, which smoothes the scalp hair beautifuly, but I am still having to blow dry the ends to get them smooth. I would lie to try the giant roller method also, but need to find some suitabe rollers.
Ok, any any help would be greatly appreciated!

You can get the giant roller at Sally's Beauty Supply. They cost about $3 for six. Sally's also sells the HUGE plastic tipped bobby pins that you'll need to go with the rollers:smile:

Diana
November 15th, 2005, 07:30 AM
Unfortunately, I dont think we have Sallys stores in Australia, or at least not in WA. I really wish we did though, because they sound great! Then again, I'd probably spend all my money there, so maybe its a good thing we dont.. lol.

mehranduh
November 15th, 2005, 07:32 AM
I'm extremely interested too!

Love some pictures, but hey, even if someone wants to break the "MS PAINT" out, I'd be happy! :lol:

wonderlywroughte
November 15th, 2005, 07:35 AM
I'd actually love to see pictures of this done as well. I wanna give it a try but I'm confused!!

ChloeDharma
November 15th, 2005, 09:30 AM
I'd love to see step by step pictures of this too. I've heard about it before. In fact i met this lovely woman in a supermarket a little while ago who had lovely long straight blonde hair. She said she "wraps" her hair by putting 1 or 2 big rollers in at the crown then wraps hair securing with grips around the head from there using the rollers to stop the hair moving. Oh dear, i know i explained that really badly!
I just can't get how it's done though! It sounds like a fab technique, i just wish i could work out how to try it! That 4 sections thing is confusing.

justgreen
November 15th, 2005, 09:41 AM
I'd love to see step by step pictures of this too. I've heard about it before. In fact i met this lovely woman in a supermarket a little while ago who had lovely long straight blonde hair. She said she "wraps" her hair by putting 1 or 2 big rollers in at the crown then wraps hair securing with grips around the head from there using the rollers to stop the hair moving. Oh dear, i know i explained that really badly!
I just can't get how it's done though! It sounds like a fab technique, i just wish i could work out how to try it! That 4 sections thing is confusing.

I'm going to try this next time I wash my hair and I'll try to remember to get pics:inlove:

shella13
November 15th, 2005, 09:51 AM
I would like to try this also but would expect it to leave at least some weird lumps from the bobby pins. My hair has good memory, it holds indentions a little too well! (am I making any sense here?) The cleaner my hair the more it does this.

Seems like it would be very awkward to sleep with too, especially since I'm not used to sleeping w/ stuff on my head. I can't even manage a sleep cap!:silly:

dlewis
November 15th, 2005, 10:30 AM
I can't find any step by step pictures on the internet, I'll try to post some pictures this weekend of how I wrap my hair. I believe once you see the pictures you will see just how easy it is. The picture below shows my hair after being wrapped, it has just a little bend at the end of the hair. :flowers:

ChloeDharma
November 15th, 2005, 10:50 AM
Ooh yay justgreen, please do!
Dlewis that does look good, it would be great to see the step by step pics!

babynitz
November 15th, 2005, 04:06 PM
I am also hoping someone can post pics and clearer directions. I like my curl, but I miss straightening so much that I have almost caved and used the blowfrier a few times lately. My hair will go so very straight in the winter when there is little moisture in the air. I know I will want to straighten it this winter. HELP!

Willswalk
November 15th, 2005, 05:57 PM
Ok I just wrapped my hair according to the instructions on page one. I'll post a picture of how it turns out tomorrow.

Miya
November 15th, 2005, 06:10 PM
This hair technique is also called a doobie . Women use setting lotion, part their hair down the middle, and comb clockwise into a cone shape, and use a wrap strip and hair clips to pin the style and sit under the dryer.

My version- S&C, use leave-in and hmde butter in my hair and put it in 2 ponytails. I'd then wrap them around my head securing them with bobby pins, then I'd use an extra long wrap strip (from the beauty supply) and wrap it around my head securing it with a bobby pin. Then I put a 2 1/2 to 3inch wide black net velcro strip around it and let it dry overnite. The last times I did this I skipped the the paper strip, put the velcro net wrap around my hair, and pulled out the bobby pins.

(The paper wrap strips stretch when you use them but you get 40 in a box for about $2-4 bucks .)
HTH
http://i7.photobucket.com/albums/y296/Miya28/th_Doobiepicscollage.jpg (http://i7.photobucket.com/albums/y296/Miya28/Doobiepicscollage.jpg) Please don't steal my picture!:twisted:

Here is my quickie collage- HTH someone:smile:. (It's clickable.)

(ETA: I wrap the left ponytail counterclockwise, and the right ponytail clockwise around my head.)

arabian princes
November 16th, 2005, 12:54 AM
WOW Meezer - your hair is gorgeous ..FullStop!

Your are just between the curly and straights and so get the best of 2 worlds... True im a curly and being one,,, i guess i want straight hair,,,, but with your hair... Ill be in cloud 9.....

About hair wrapping....The secret lies in TWO things :
1- WHEN you do it ? and when to UN wrap it.
and
2- The brush you use !

yes it works...my mom used to do it for me all the time when I was a kid...the thing is you are supposed to do it when your hair is DAMP...not wet....why ? because if done wet , it would take DAYS to dry and set....so the thing is let your hair dry naturally...and then add some pomade or cream( mom used to put for me brylcream when i was a kid) but u got different creams now ...
andyou have to get a SPECIAL brush...i dont know what you call it,,, its not a comb and not a brush,,, the bristles on this brush are something like the round brush a salon will use to blowdry your hair....( what is it called anybody?) .. but the bristles are in a normal brush instead of being aligned in a circle around the brush handle like that of the salon ..

so to cut the story short...coz im such a rambling person...

mY WAY:
after you wash your hair...and use a conditioner ...let it airdry
then WHEN you are 90 % dry and if you leave you hair for 5-7 minutes it will be completely dry you DO IT...hair should be DAMP...
put in some CREAM not oil.. a moisturising cream or pomade for extra hold.
i feelif the middle of your head could be collected and bushed with the above BRUSH and made into a bun.
the hair sections on the lft and right could be wrapped around the head in opposite directions.
the reason we have 3 sections ( left hair section and right hair section and the section of your hair on the crown ) is to ensure all wrap around without overlapping

NEVER unwrap until100 percent dry and dont touch in the drying process!

good luck

Kuchen
November 16th, 2005, 01:39 AM
This is fascinating! I have fine, fryed, layered and shoulder length hair so I've just tried to do what i can to replicate this. I suppose I've parted it and then just wrapped it up round my head like a turban and added loads of kirby grips/bobby pins.
It *feels* great - very queenly, so I suppose that even if it's a disaster once it's dryed it's a n ice new up-do. waiting to see everyone else's photos now!

Cleopatra
November 16th, 2005, 02:43 AM
ok, I don't have a camera but with the other instructions, this might make sense when read together. (BTW disclaimer: it has *never worked on my hair*).

start by putting the hair on your crown in into one single roller. just a little bit of your hair, as if you were going to put your hair in rollers. this should be in the centre of your head (that's the point at least).

now start at just over your left ear and comb your hair towards your right ear. As if you are parting your hair, but starting at the most left side and keep combing. as you are combing, pull it so it becomes straight. now wrap it around your head using the roller as an indicator of how to go around it. (most people do it without the roller but it's really good for beginners.) hold it to your scalp with pins (bobby pins, thick pins whatever you like)

keep wrapping around your head as many times as you need until it's like a big turban around your head. make sure all your hair has been pulled and wrapped. if you have short hair it will only be once, the longer the more times you wrap it etc.

leave it for a few hours until almost dry, then take out and wrap in the opposite direction.

I know this probably makes no sense whatsoever, but hey it's pretty good for a first post ;)
It's never worked with my damp/wet hair but all my aunts, cousins and even my own mother have done it successfully... (I do it after blow frying because it makes it even straighter).
good luck!

babynitz
November 16th, 2005, 04:32 AM
Hey Cleopatra, GREAT instructions. I might actually be able to try this sometime soon now that I get how it's supposed to be wrapped.

LAST NIGHT I DID THE PONYTAIL & LARGE VELCRO ROLLER METHOD! I LOVE the results! I didn't take a shower and CO my hair until late so I ended up blowfrying on COOL seeting for about 5 min or so to partially dry it, b/c I knew if I didn't I would have wet hair in the morning. I couldn't sleep partially b/c I was excited to see the results, and partially b/c I had a pony and 4 rollers in my hair. (And partially b/c I can't ever sleep anyway). This morning it was a tiny bit damp, but just a tiny, so I was able to see the result and I HAVE FOUND A NEW DRYING TECHNIQUE THAT I AM KEEPING!!! I have a feeling I will be doing this a few times a week and for events where I don't want to go to a fuss and blowfry my hair. I can't believe I never tried this (or even heard of it). I can't remember without plowing back through this entire post about wrapping, but THANK YOU THANK YOU THANK YOU to the person/ppl who posted this method! I love the waves and huge curls it produces!

Diana
November 17th, 2005, 12:52 AM
Thankyou for the pics and the extra replies! I think I have a better grip on how to do this now, I will give it a go next time I wash and see if I can get it to work for me.

tcraig
November 17th, 2005, 01:41 AM
LAST NIGHT I DID THE PONYTAIL & LARGE VELCRO ROLLER METHOD! I LOVE the results!

I frequently use the pony tail and roller method. I usually use pink sponge rollers, though, because I like a little more curl on the ends.

I have wavy 2b/2c hair, and often have "braid wave" looking waves in my hair (even though it's natural). Drying my hair in a scrunchie pony on the top of my head, with the ends curled, gives me hair that looks like I blowdried it smooth and straight and then put hot rollers on the ends. It's amazing how "styled" it makes my hair look!

baiken
November 17th, 2005, 01:53 AM
*being so confused*

wrapping a plastic wrap around head & hair?
Uhm.. okay.. :rolleyes:

I would love to see more detailed instructive pictures though! Maybe I would understand a little bit better. It sounds interesting so it may be fun to try..!

careful
November 18th, 2005, 12:39 PM
LAST NIGHT I DID THE PONYTAIL & LARGE VELCRO ROLLER METHOD! I LOVE the results!

Isn't it great? It's now my main hairdo method when just not washing/airdrying/scrunchybunning.

And -- as great as it is, here's a suggestion for improvement. As I usually do this overnight, when I wake up the top of my head is a little "bumpy" looking where the elastic held the ponytail. So what I do, is take another roller, and take the hair just behind the bangs (or hairline if no bangs), roll that just in front of the pony tail and then it all comes out all smooth and pretty.

I frequently use the pony tail and roller method. I usually use pink sponge rollers, though, because I like a little more curl on the ends.

Drying my hair in a scrunchie pony on the top of my head, with the ends curled, gives me hair that looks like I blowdried it smooth and straight and then put hot rollers on the ends. It's amazing how "styled" it makes my hair look!

Oh great. Here I am on the couch with my feet up and you have given me this crazy urge to leap up and go to Sally's and get the foam rollers!!! Thanks alot, troublemaker!!! :) :) :)

babynitz
November 18th, 2005, 04:45 PM
CAREFUL -
I think I follow that you do the extra roller BEFORE BED and it is in there the whole time the pony/rollers are? (Just making sure you didn't mean to do it in the morning after the pony/rollers had set all night.) I am going to try the pony/roller method tonight after I wash out my HENNA!
BTW - I didn't mean to get off on a tangent (sp?) here with this method - I (and everyone else) still wants more info on the wrapping method. (Although I am TOTALLY grateful for the info I have gotten about pony/roller method.)

careful
November 19th, 2005, 05:25 AM
CAREFUL -
I think I follow that you do the extra roller BEFORE BED and it is in there the whole time the pony/rollers are? (Just making sure you didn't mean to do it in the morning after the pony/rollers had set all night.) I am going to try the pony/roller method tonight after I wash out my HENNA!

Yes. I do it at the same time as the rest of the hair.

Good luck!

Willswalk
November 19th, 2005, 05:43 AM
I must be doing something wrong because this didn't work for me. It was about a 1c/2a when I took it down, but I still had waves all through my hair vs my usual curls. By the end of the day though my hair was back to how it usually looks. I wonder what I did wrong.

careful
November 19th, 2005, 05:54 AM
I must be doing something wrong because this didn't work for me. It was about a 1c/2a when I took it down, but I still had waves all through my hair vs my usual curls. By the end of the day though my hair was back to how it usually looks. I wonder what I did wrong.

WillisWalk, how big are the rollers you are using?

For real big easy waves, I use 2.5" diameter; but a smaller 1.75" diamter for a more bouncy look (also the 1.75" diameter are good for the single roller just behind the bangs).

These size rollers are available from Sally's. They make 'em even bigger, 3", which are getting close to the juice cans mentioned upthread.

This applies to the sleeping-in-the-pony method, if you were asking about the wrapping method, sorry to barge in on it.

Willswalk
November 19th, 2005, 05:58 AM
I just wrapped it around my head and used a lot of bobby pins to hold it up. I guess tonight I'll be digging out moms really big rollers and using those:).

Diana
November 22nd, 2005, 10:53 PM
Ok, in regards to the ponytail and rollers method, I bought some 3 inch or about 8cm velcro rollers. I have never really used rollers before, so I am a bit confused. Firstly, do you think my rollers are too big? It would be enormous if I tried to put all 4 in and then went to bed? Also, when you roll the hair onto them, do you separate the hair into 4 layers from the top of the ponytail to the bottom of the ponytail, and put the rollers kind of stacked on top of one another? Or, do you do it in quarters? Do you roll in the same direction for all 4 rollers? I hope you can understand what I mean there, I know my explanation isnt very clear. Also, how do you keep velcro rollers in the hair? I know they are meant to self grip, but the weight of these large rollers means that they wont just sit there, and the 'roller bunch' is so large that it is quite painful! should I be bobby pinning them to my head or something as well?
Thanks in advance! Im a complete novice when it come to this roller business!

careful
November 23rd, 2005, 01:59 PM
Ok, in regards to the ponytail and rollers method, I bought some 3 inch or about 8cm velcro rollers. I have never really used rollers before, so I am a bit confused.

Hi Diana,

Hope I can help you along as I love this method.

Firstly, do you think my rollers are too big?

From your profile I see your hair is 23 inches, which is very similar to mine, just a little bit longer by an inch or so. I use 2.5 inches, so I think the 3 inch should are OK.

It would be enormous if I tried to put all 4 in and then went to bed?

I think the key is, make the pony tail on the very, very top of your head. Then, when you lie down, the rollers just kind of go to the top, or even over the edge of your pillow. It's comfortable.

Also, when you roll the hair onto them, do you separate the hair into 4 layers from the top of the ponytail to the bottom of the ponytail, and put the rollers kind of stacked on top of one another?

No, that's not it ...

Or, do you do it in quarters?

Yes, that's it.
So, you've got your damp, or semi damp hair in a pony tail on the top of your head now. With your hands, separate the pony tail in two halves. Clip one half to your head, and then separate the first half again into two. Then, put a roller in each quarter, rolling down towards your head. Then, do the same with the other half that you had clipped.

Do you roll in the same direction for all 4 rollers?

Yes. The same direction, meaning down to your head.

I hope you can understand what I mean there, I know my explanation isnt very clear. Also, how do you keep velcro rollers in the hair? I know they are meant to self grip, but the weight of these large rollers means that they wont just sit there, and the 'roller bunch' is so large that it is quite painful! should I be bobby pinning them to my head or something as well?

I use big metal clips and I'm sure many of the real experts here would go "eeek" as they are probably not the greatest for one's hair. So, your big ole bobby pins will work just as well, or even better.

Thanks in advance! Im a complete novice when it come to this roller business!

Keep experimenting and playing around. There are various things you can do, such as experimenting with how damp the hair is when your roll it, and also stuff you put in your hair. I love Farouk's Biosil Silk Therapy (un oh another "eeek" as it contains silicones big time but for me is not an issue), or other things you like as a "setting gel". Also note with rollers this big, don't look for curls. This results in a smooth, pretty look, which is why it came in from the original "wrapping" topic ... it's an alternative straighening method.

Sorry for getting a little wordy here. I love this method and want to help with its success.

Diana
November 23rd, 2005, 04:37 PM
Thankyou!
That helps clear up.. well, pretty much all of my questions so far!
That was an enormous help, I cant wait to try this method again now.

Samara Morgan
January 17th, 2006, 11:19 AM
If I comb mine after washing, then leave it to dry, usually the day after it is really straight...and i have wavy hair lol

bionicman
January 17th, 2006, 11:29 AM
This is a technique used by George Michael salons. My wife, who has curly hair, used to do this. It used to work really will, but found the whole thing too time consuming. It seemed quite simple. She held the hair in place with ordinary hairclips.

She has now reverted to big rollers and (shock-horror) hair straighteners when she wants the sleek look (which is most of the time!)

A

groque
January 17th, 2006, 08:13 PM
This is such a great idea on how to straighten your hair. I will be trying this method. Wish me luck.

Medvssa
January 19th, 2006, 09:45 AM
My mother and aunts and everyone else it seems did this in the 60's, they called it "toga" in spain. But, they didn't have as curly hair as mine for sure... I got it done at a "deep-spain" salon in my aunt's village, the owner of which was old enough to remember how to do it, I was 13 or so; my mother never did it to me because she is totally hair-impaired apparently. The hairdresser admitted that she never did it with hair as curly as mine (I am no 4 or anything btw) well, it was a utter mess. I don't know if it can work with curly hair as with wavy hair, but if it is, you certainly have to be more careful, or just wrap better or something. She wrapped it in one direction, put me under the hood dryer, and then wrapped in the opposite direction. I think this is an error, at least with coarse curly hair, as it gets totally huge-frizz and puffed and there is no way you can work with that anymore. Result was so horrible, I don't even know how to describe.

Reading this thread though, makes me want to try myself... big curlers certainly work very well.

groque
January 19th, 2006, 08:17 PM
I love the ponytail/roller method. I used 2 inch velcro rollers and a lot of aloe vera gel. I had a little curl at my ends and the gel made it hard/stiff, but it still looked great. I will get the paper wraps and try the wrap around my head deal, but I was also thinking of getting larger velcro rollers, 3'' maybe, to get it straighter. I bought glycerin at Walgreens today to try to see if it will make my hair smoother and take out my frizz? I am trying it again today and I only misted the ends that came through the ponytail because last night when I rolled it, I put the gel all through my hair, not just the ends and it was a little damp where it was compressed the next morning, but it did not frizz as the day went on. I am so excited I found some better, easier way to straighten my hair without ruining it. And guess what? It comes out the same without the damage and heat of curling irons. Isn't that great. I love this website.

darkwaves
January 19th, 2006, 08:46 PM
I remember my sister's friends doing this in the 60s. I'm sure they used a Coke can at the top their heads, fastened to scalp hair with one of those very large bobby pins. (Someone mentioned an orange juice container earlier -- that would be easier to fasten. A big can was an essential part of this process.)

It's very easy to do as I remember, though I don't remember trying it on my hair. They didn't part their hair, or use ponytails or rollers -- just combed it down, caught and rolled up the top part, and then combed and plastered the rest against their heads. They'd do it in the morning if they were going out at night, and let their hair take all day to dry.

Others have described the process fairly well.

I haven't thought of this in years! I confess, I used to laugh at them. It may have worked, but to a kid -- boy, did they ever look weird walking around with empty Coke cans lying on the tops of their heads, with their hair pinned flat around their skulls! (Ideas of beauty differ at 11 and 17.)

cuddleydoc
January 19th, 2006, 09:57 PM
Using rollers (either one big roller called your head, or smaller rollers the size of orange juice cans) to straighten hair has been around as a straightening method for a long time. This technique is very protective of the hair and thats why the George Michael salons use it. Even if the hair is dried under a hair dryer after it is rolled up, the ends dont get damaged by heat because the hair rolled on top of the ends protect them. Rolling the hair also smooths the cuticle which gives the hair added shine. The main disadvantage is that it can be time consuming. Nevertheless, high school girls set their hair in rollers everynight in the sixties.

PrincessKatie
January 20th, 2006, 01:57 AM
I can't wait to do this when my hair gets longer! It's so short right now that I'm not sure if it'd work out. Maybe if I used a billion bobby pins...

Kuchen
January 20th, 2006, 02:20 AM
Princess Katie - with a billion bobbie pins you could do the no-roller method, which is further back in the thread. Works brilliantly! I just wrap my hair round my head, pin with long bobbie pins and wrap a scarf over it all if I'm going out. Have slept with it like that too. It ends up very smooth and full of volume, with a flicked up curl at the tips.

groque
January 20th, 2006, 06:30 PM
Hi, Kuchen can you describe how you did it, if you don't mind. I am in love with this way of straightening hair. I love it.

Kuchen
January 21st, 2006, 01:11 AM
Hi Groque, :waving:

If you go to page 4 of this thread Miya posted some pix - click on them to make them bigger. I have less hair than her, but divide my hair into four sections, two on either side, front and back. Then I comb them one at a time round my head and coil the ends on top. Then pin in place. Then comb round the next section. Then put a scarf over the lot.
I think it's called a doobie wrap, doobie being slang for a joint! So you should end up with you hair wound flat round your head, with a coil of hair at the crown. Hard to describe, but if you play around with it a bit, you'll probably work out your own version! Have fun! :wink:

groque
January 21st, 2006, 06:31 PM
Hey, Kuchen, thanks for the reply. Well, last night I tried it but didn't section my hair into four parts and it was damp. I didn't get that much tension to pull it straight. So, each of the four section has to be really damp and what becuase my hair didn't want to get rid of the wave I have at the front, the baby hairs. Do I have to wrap each section around my head and leave the others alone? How did you get the tension right? Did you pin up the other sections before wrapping the first section around your head? Thanks for any help you can give.

PrincessKatie
January 21st, 2006, 07:33 PM
I put my hair up in the "wrap" and we'll see what happens in the morning. My hair is curly (waves & spirals), medium-thin, and ear length. I had to just paste the hairs down as I went. I think I have a big "not sleek" section in the back. I had a hard time with the hair trying to puff up toward the top of my head. I think if I used the roller on the very top it would help for my length of hair.

Kuchen
January 21st, 2006, 10:33 PM
Ok, I'll try and write some clearer instructions:

1) divide hair into four sections.

2) take the front left section in you hand, comb it with a wide toothed comb out away from your head, holding the ends, so that the length is flat. Then wrap it flat against your head, going back over your left ear and around your head in a swirl. Coil the ends on top of your head. Pin it into place

3) take the back left section of hair, comb it out as above, and then flat round the back of your head, with the ends coiled on top of your head (making a kind of circlet with the other coil). Pin in place.

4) take the back right section of your hair and comb out as before, then smoothe it round your head and up over your right ear, heading towards your face. Coil the ends on the "circlet" on top of your head and pin in place.

5) take the front right section and comb it out again, then lay it flat round the front of your head, smooth above your forehead. Coil the ends on top (in the circlet with the other ends) and pin in place.

6) wrap a scarf round the whole thing to cover it - or not! It can be sort of a funky updo otherwise!

Is that easier? You are basically coiling your hair round your head anticlockwise, as if the circumference of your head was a giant hair roller. If I do it with wet hair, I leave it overnight and then some, but it's best to do it with damp hair for quicker results.
You can do it clockwise too - just start combing everything in a different direction! The combing helps, and you need to make sure that you are combing the length of the hair flat, otherwise it'll get bunched up and kinky under the wrapped hair. Big bobby pins are best (but not curved ones as they snag)
Baby hairs have just got to be left to halo on their on! They won't really get incorporated into any kind of "do", I'm afraid!
I'm getting a digital camera soon, so maybe I should post some pix, but the results are great. I'm sitting here with my hair wrapped now, having slept in it overnight. :cloud9:

wke
January 22nd, 2006, 06:09 AM
I've tried this a few days ago but I had a little frizz and because I have fine hair it also looked kind off limp :(

Rini
April 17th, 2006, 02:51 AM
Resurrecting this thread.....does anyone have any pics yet of instructions or of the finished hair??? I am really interested in trying this method out!