Google

Web forums.longhaircommunity.com

View Full Version : Little hairs sticking up on the top of my head

Bestyoucan
August 29th, 2005, 12:27 PM
I've always had little hairs sticking up at the top of my head. It isn't like frizz, just really short hair. It's not too bad, but it can get irritating, especially looking at girls with "perfect" hair.

Is there anyway I can tame them? I've tried anti frizz serum but it feels heavy and greasy to me and I like to avoid using cones if I can. Is there also a way I can prevent new ones? I don't brush when wet, and only comb when dry so I don't know what I'm doing wrong. Thanks in advance.

P.S. Oh, one more thing, is there anywhere I could get jojoba oil other than in health food stores? The only places around here are things like wal-mart, k-mart, and different grocery stores like Krogers and Cubs.

Danibobanny
August 29th, 2005, 12:37 PM
Aloe vera gel is your friend. Get yourself some 100% (or as close as possible) from a health food shop and use it for a light gel--you'll find it's very moisturizing as well.

GlennaGirl
August 29th, 2005, 12:40 PM
I agree--aloe gel is great for that! You will probably always have those little hairs because at any given time, a few hairs will be just starting to grow out, and a few of those are bound to be on the outside (halo) of your hair. Depending upon one's hair type, shorter hairs may tend to stick out. I have that issue but with "fringe" hairs (as if I had deliberately cut a very short bang). Yargh. But it can be dealt with pretty easily.

chnnlbabs
August 29th, 2005, 12:47 PM
Hmm, aloe vera gel you say? I will have to check that out, because I too am troubled by short fringe hairs. They make my hair look messy. Thanks for the tip.

Bestyoucan
August 29th, 2005, 12:49 PM
I'll definately try that when I get some money. Thanks!

Nienor
August 29th, 2005, 03:15 PM
I have that problem too. All over my scalp. Maybe I'll try some Aloe gel...

zaftig2k
August 29th, 2005, 03:23 PM
I'll definately try that when I get some money. Thanks!

Fortunately...aloe vera gel is fairly cheap. I get a 16oz bottle of it at Trader Joes and it is 1.79 I think. As for the jojoba...I would recommend ordering on line if you cannot find it locally. My fav on line place for natural oils and things for kitchen witchery is www.fromnaturewithlove.com

spidermom
August 29th, 2005, 03:27 PM
In my case, those short hairs sticking up all over my head, waving at each other, are new baby hairs (most of them, anyway). However, my niece recently bleached and then dyed her hair green and blue (!), and I see that she has a lot of breakage sticking out all along her part. So what those little hairs mean depends on how you treat your hair. But the aloe vera gel - good stuff. Good advice.

steficurls
August 29th, 2005, 04:11 PM
They are annoying, but be happy...it is new growth! :smile:

Aloe Vera Gel is fabulous, but sometimes when I use Shea Butter on my ends, I gently pat the residual that is left on my palms onto my canopy. You have to do it very gently, or it will just look like you have a greasy canopy! :rolleyes:

redpenny
August 29th, 2005, 04:17 PM
Aloe Vera Gel and Oil are the ways to go! It saved my life, well hair life.

physicschick
August 29th, 2005, 05:05 PM
I have the same problem too. For those who use aloe gel, how much do you use? Do you glop it on until your hair is wetted down? Do you comb it in or just smear it onto the top of your head?

--physicschick

zift
August 29th, 2005, 05:55 PM
May I suggest to use a satin pillow-case? Because I've experienced my frizz decrease:)

I couldn't use aloe-jel because I can't afford it. But I use sweet-almond oil instead just to coat hair a little bit. Well, I still have lots of baby-hair sticking out...

Saldana
August 29th, 2005, 07:58 PM
For those who use aloe gel, how much do you use? Do you glop it on until your hair is wetted down? Do you comb it in or just smear it onto the top of your head?

Aloe vera gel is awesome - I've *always* had problems with frizzies and little sticking-up hairs on top of my head, no matter how I was treating my hair. I had some aloe vera gel in the fridge for sunburns, and tried it when I saw people enthusiastically endorsing it here. It never would have occurred to me to put it on my hair...but wow! It works great.

I don't use very much....maybe 1 tsp? - rub it between my hands and smooth my hands lightly over my hair. Everybody lays down and plays nicely for awhile after that! :-D

Nini
August 30th, 2005, 01:11 AM
Don't I know all about it! "sigh"

But I'm definetly gonna try aloe vera now:) I've got some gloss thingy I bought in a salon, at a very stiff price I might add,that only makes me look like I haven't washed my hair in ages. But after I joined the board I took a look at the ingredients. And there were several cones, so that's not for me!

I've also been thinking that maybe it's more visible with my type of hair. Thin, fine and blonde... I don't know? Are there any threads on this out there?!?

Sorry I don't have any tip's for you, but I sure know how you feel!

Nini

Viviane
August 30th, 2005, 01:19 AM
I once asked about the hairs from a hairdresser (she was studying the hair growth from bud)
and she said itīs usually stress-related. Hair gets "suffocated" inside scalp and since the blood sirculation is blocked hair eventually falls out. The pointy short hairs are new hairs growing out.
She recommended scalp-massages with ess.oils and relaxation and a chance of lifestyle. Worked for this one.

Bestyoucan
August 30th, 2005, 04:19 AM
She recommended scalp-massages with ess.oils and relaxation and a chance of lifestyle. Worked for this one.

I'll try that too, thanks.

SittyKitty
August 30th, 2005, 05:59 AM
Not only do I have the "baby hairs" but I also have course black curly hair here and there all over my head. Which is quite strange considering I have med. brown hair that is stick straight. It is the worse about going astray on wash day, day two they are calmer. I figure they are like cats don't like water, beats me. I will have to try the aleo, does it not leave your hair greasy though?

loves2spin
August 30th, 2005, 06:06 AM
If you go to www.somethingbetternaturalfoods.com and e-mail them, they have jojoba oil at a very reasonable price. It is not on their online list for some reason.

Yolanda

dancingbarefoot
August 30th, 2005, 09:14 AM
Kroger's usually has oils in the natural foods/products aisle. While I hate their service, they usually have a fairly good selection of natural products.

harpgal
August 30th, 2005, 09:40 AM
I have a lot of short, kinky white hair all over my head! Yikes! I just let them stay that way and don't worry about them over much. New hair is the way of things and I'm grateful for every one of them. I would not want to be bald...too cold...:lol:

Saldana
August 30th, 2005, 07:26 PM
I will have to try the aleo, does it not leave your hair greasy though?

For me, it doesn't leave it greasy at all. Maybe a little....stiff or slicked looking?...if I use too much or really glob it on, but otherwise, no.

- Saldana