Google

Web forums.longhaircommunity.com

View Full Version : Does rosemary oil really make your hair darker?

GlennaGirl
August 1st, 2005, 08:27 PM
That's weird...this didn't post at all but said I gave a duplicate post. Anyway...does rosemary oil really make brown hair darker? I've only used mine a few times so far. I guess I'm just curious--it doesn't bother me if my hair goes darker. It's light brown.

Dianyla
August 1st, 2005, 08:40 PM
I don't believe that the oil darkens hair. An herbal infusion or decoction will, though. HTH! :flower:

Elspeth30
August 2nd, 2005, 03:35 AM
I agree with Dianyla. To be honest, I have not noticed any significant darkening from it either way. I use the oil regularly and sometimes add rosemary leaves (dried or fresh) to the herb vinager I use for rinses.

If you want darkening, I would go for walnut, coffee, or some of the Indian herbs.

SpiralingWaves
August 2nd, 2005, 03:44 AM
I've never noticed any darkening when I use rosemary essential oil (if that is what you are using). Sometimes I use a herbal rinse using an infusion of rosemary leaves, and that seems to give my hair (which is already very dk. brown) a darker/deeper appearance.

estelwen
August 2nd, 2005, 04:04 AM
I used to massage my scalp with rosemary oil to stimulate growth, but stopped when I read that it would darken my hair. Shortly after that I began rinsing with a chamomile infusion after every shower, and it really has lightened my blonde streaks. Now my hair, which was a normal wheat-color, has rich layered streaks of lighter blonde. I'm totally thrilled, since I would never dye my hair.

smiles
August 2nd, 2005, 05:45 AM
Nope, oils dont darken hair, but yes, as Elspeth30 and Dianyla said, herbals infusions will.

I've had herbs (rosemary, sage and there was one more, i dont remember the name) steeped acv rinses give dark sheen to my hair.

spidermom
August 2nd, 2005, 05:50 AM
Rosemary oil didn't darken my hair, either.

nicolezoie
August 2nd, 2005, 07:28 AM
Well, I *think* I've noticed a very, very faint darkening using rosemary oil. I use about 10 drops in my jojoba/distilled water/rosemary oil mister. I've experimented a little bit with not putting the rosemary oil in the mix, and during those 2oz bottle long experiments, I noticed that the color in the bottom foot of my hair did fade a little. To be completely honest, I'm not sure if that has to do with the jojoba oil (I've heard that it can sort of make darker hair fade a little) or the lack of rosemary oil, it's just what I've noticed with my own hair. I admit I'm more than a little um, "obsessive" about my haircolor (I know exactly how many silver strands I have) so even the slightest change I either notice or imagine I notice.

*end-babblefest* :silly:

SunCat
August 2nd, 2005, 08:51 AM
Rosemary oil won't darken your hair. Rosemary has been known to darken your hair especially if you make a strong infusion and apply it to your hair.

zift
August 2nd, 2005, 12:29 PM
I've been having rosemary infusions and adding to my ACV-rinse for some time but haven't noticed any color changes. It may be because I dilute it with a lot of water...

GlennaGirl
August 2nd, 2005, 12:42 PM
Thanks, all! I'm not looking to darken my hair...if it did darken a tad that wouldn't bother me either...I was just curious what to look out for. Thanks for the info!

AngelinIvy
August 2nd, 2005, 02:03 PM
What is an herbal infusion? Can some herbal infusions make your hair lighter?

Snowymoon
August 2nd, 2005, 02:10 PM

I will leave the exact definition to someone with more know than I will ever have (Dianyla). However, I think it means steeping fresh herbs or dried herbs in hot water or boiling them (like making tea). I do use chamomile in this way in a rinse to add lighter areas to my hair, though I don't think it does anything drastic, in my own experience anyway. When I used ACV regularly, my hair took on a reddish cast (that I liked), but I cannot use ACV regularly due to dryness and had to give that up. I find if I use sage and rosemary along with some cloves and catnip in an herbal rinse (made like tea--still not sure if that is an infusion really), my hair does darken and deepen in color. I did have a few white hairs here and there, but since using the catnip, I have not had any more, and I no longer see any of the whites. I do have some really blonde hairs here and there now though. ;) The East Indian herbs do darken my hair a bit, but the color tends to look less red on me (I like the red).

SunCat
August 2nd, 2005, 05:30 PM

A herbal infusion is where you take herbs, either fresh or dried, and steep them in boiling water like a tea. You can make this as strong or as weak as you like. I usually use about 1/4 cup of fresh herbs I usually use rosemary and lavender and sometimes mint, I grow them in my herb garden but you can use dried herbs also. Then I add 2 chamomile tea bags that I cut open. I put the herbs in a quart jar and fill with boiling water and let it sit until cool then strain it. You can either use it striaght or dilute it with water. I use it in place of water in my ACV rinse and add some aloe vera gel and essential oils to it. Makes a great rinse :grin: It brings out highlights for me but doesn't change the color of my hair.

Chamomile will brighten lighter hair.

Lady Snowflake
August 3rd, 2005, 10:34 AM
;) The East Indian herbs do darken my hair a bit, but the color tends to look less red on me (I like the red).

This is the look I'm after! Which Indian Herbs darken without reddening? I'm looking to darken and deepen my ash hair color without imparting red. I don't mind a neutral shade (which does have a bit of red but can't be called either warm or cool) but I'd prefer a cool shade.

Lady Snowflake
August 3rd, 2005, 10:36 AM
Oh, and to reply to the thread, I didn't find rosemary made my hair darker, it made it redder!

I made a very strong decoction out of rosemary in a stainless steel pot. The result was reddish highlights!:bigeyes:

Dianyla
August 3rd, 2005, 10:59 PM
This is the look I'm after! Which Indian Herbs darken without reddening? I'm looking to darken and deepen my ash hair color without imparting red. I don't mind a neutral shade (which does have a bit of red but can't be called either warm or cool) but I'd prefer a cool shade.
Amla is darkening and fairly ashy cool brown. At least, that's the color it stained my blond highlights so I stopped using it. :mad

Lady Snowflake
August 4th, 2005, 10:03 AM
Amla is darkening and fairly ashy cool brown. At least, that's the color it stained my blond highlights so I stopped using it. :mad

Thank you so much! Can I get this from a local health food store, or is this something that I would have to order online?