Google

Web forums.longhaircommunity.com

View Full Version : I finally have a goal!

GlennaGirl
July 24th, 2005, 02:32 PM
Okay, this is going to be far and away the least enlightening post you've ever read, but hey, I'm excited. I keep trying to define "long" in my own mind and I really can't. At one time I was at 24 inches and I would have thought that was long, but it didn't feel all that long once I got there.

So I decided 30 inches sounds long. Right? So...my main goal is 30 inches minimum. Whatever my hair decides to do from there will be gravy.

Then I was reading about the age posts (one of which I started) and a light went on. In two years I'll be 40. Hair grows an average of half an inch a month so on my 40th birthday, if I'm exactly average, I'll be at 29 inches...DARNED close to goal!

Since that's stressful...knowing me, it would mean repetitive measurings, and you never know what's going to happen between now and then...I've modified it to 27 inches by age 40. With an eventual goal (by "whenever") of 30 inches.

Ten inches in two years doesn't sound unreasonable, right?

I hope I can do it. Anyway, it's just fun to have something to shoot for! Anyone feel like telling an uplifting hair-goal story?

ellyd_hert
July 24th, 2005, 02:50 PM
sorry, but I can't tell any encouraging stories.. :( I will wish you good luck with the growing, and 2 years isn't that long.
10 inches in those 2 years is not at all unreasonable!

LilyMunster
July 24th, 2005, 02:51 PM
My hair grows slooooowly. I get 6 inches of growth per year. So you can easily grow 10" in two years. I am now wondering what my goal is. I think I will measure to my waist and make that my goal. Thanks for the incentive. Happy growing.

LM

dancingbarefoot
July 24th, 2005, 02:55 PM
Ten inches in two years doesn't sound unreasonable, right?

Sounds quite reasonable, in fact. :grin:

Congrats on deciding on your goal! :flower:

Nalia
July 24th, 2005, 03:00 PM
Congratulations on deciding your goal!

It took me a while to decide mine, looking through here. First it was waist length. Then I saw the photo journal and went from waist length to tailbone length. Then I saw MORE photos and went to thigh length.

Finally I realised I was driving myself batty and to preserve my sanity (and for the fun) I decided I'm going to see what my terminal length is. Unless of course it turns out to be hair out in the garage and me in the kitchen.. have to draw the line at that.
So I'm seeing how long it will grow, and once I've gotten to that, I may keep it terminal, or if I have a hard time managing it at that length I may trim it back, but I think my goal for life is going to be no shorter than tailbone.

Amari
July 24th, 2005, 03:07 PM
It's so nice to have a goal.

Sometimes that's all that keeps me from doing something really dumb. After my first goal is reached I have another and then another. When broken down, it's all just baby steps to the end.

Carolyn
July 24th, 2005, 03:09 PM
10" in 2 years is very do-able. If your hair grows at an average rate of 1/2" per month or 6" a year you should be able to gain 5" a year and have 2 one half inch trims during that year. Try not to be too focused on the inches. Concentrate on steady growth and making it quality long hair. It's good to have a goal to shoot for but you can change your mind on your goals. I think a lot of us have done that. Treat your hair will and I'm sure you'll be near 10" longer by the time you turn 40.

busnutmedic
July 24th, 2005, 03:31 PM
I haven't set a time yet for my goal of 43 inches because I haven't been keeping up with regular measurings; I have no clue how fast my hair grows. Hopefully within the next few months I'll have an idea of how long I should be looking at.

Snowymoon
July 24th, 2005, 03:43 PM
Sounds very do-able to me! :grin: My real goal is for my hair to tickle the tops of my feet when I am standing. However, I am taking the baby-steps approach. I found this site when I had 19 inches of length. My first goal was 25 inches. Did that. :thumbsup: Then I have another mini goal of 28 inches (length before my big chop years ago). After that, I will be venturing into lengths of hair I have not had since childhood. My first goal will be waist (around 32 to 33 inches; I think I will call it 33 to be sure I really am at waist). I think I currently have just about 27 inches. Can't wait until measure day. :face:

purplebubba
July 24th, 2005, 04:07 PM
Your goals sound very attainable. Especially since you now have help in the form of LHC.

For a while now my goal has been to get to 36 inches. But for my new years resolution I decided on a "No Rules" routine. With one exception. For this year I want to grow my hair longer than 30" but I want to do a lot of trims before I let myself get past 36"

36" on me is about belt length. I need to do some more trims to let some of the shorter pieces catch up. I used to rip at my hair and it has lots of "undesigned layers"

The main thing for me was that I didn't want to set too high of a goal because if it took me too long to get there I would fall back into my bad habits.

Isn't so cool when you really think about what you really want? Especially if there's a chance of it happening.
I'm glad you have a good goal.

CurlyKitten
July 24th, 2005, 04:38 PM
Now we just have to wait and see if you actually keep that goal, or set a new, larger goal!! :smile: Once the long hair bug bites, it bites hard :twisted: :grin:

Koala Kim
July 24th, 2005, 05:36 PM
Then I was reading about the age posts (one of which I started) and a light went on. In two years I'll be 40. Hair grows an average of half an inch a month so on my 40th birthday, if I'm exactly average, I'll be at 29 inches...DARNED close to goal!
What do you know? When I turned 40, I was actually at my 29th birthday! :silly:
But to answer your question- I think 10" in two years is a very attainable goal. :grin:
We'll be cheering you on all the way! :rockerdud