Google

Web forums.longhaircommunity.com

View Full Version : Halo of short hairs, how to make them grow

Zequana
June 14th, 2005, 09:11 AM
I have a whole halo of short hair around my head. They're not the kind of hair around the hairline that never get's long, they're spread all over the scalp.

They're not long, they just reach my nose so I've concluded that they should be around 8-12 months old. Almost all of my short hairs are the exact same length. I have them all over the top of my head and sides and I wonder where they're from and if there is any way I can make them grow??

They usually behave themselves when I put my hair up, but if I put my hair up in a bun or in a pony tail and rub my scalp a little they poke out like crazy antenna everywhere. I'm a little worried about the fact that they're all almost the same length. They don't seem to have broken off because the tips are nicely tapered and they have no split ends or broken ends. I remember my hairdresser talking about how much "new growth" I had when I visited her last time (november) and said that it meant that I had damaged hair. I guess I've been having short hairs for quite a while but I'm not sure about the damage.

Any ideas? Advice? Anyone who has been able to get them to grow out? Is it a lost case to try to make them grow? They would make a difference in the thickness of my hair so I'd like them to grow out. Is there anything I can do or should I just accept and live with it?

Thanks!

songofsunlight
June 14th, 2005, 09:59 AM
I think nearly all of us have these hairs, Zequana; I know that I do. The more curl your hair has, the more noticeable shorter hairs are. And the more dense your hair is, the greater quantity of shorter hairs you will have.

It would seem that you went through a period of shedding 8-12 months ago. It does not necessarily mean, as your hairdresser suggested, that your hair was damaged. Common causes are dietary deficiencies, a hormonal disturbance, or simply stress.

Happily, your shed hairs are returning and they will grow, in their own time, as will all things. They are your long hairs of tomorrow. :smile: In the meanwhile, you could find a balm or styling product that keeps them smoothed down with the rest of your hair. (Unless you appreciate wild-looking locks and just accept them as they are. This has been my choice!)

Best wishes to you,
Celuriel

Rotch
June 14th, 2005, 10:50 AM
Interesting choice of words, Zequana. A "halo" is beautiful indeed! I think Celuriel's positive attitude toward them is worthy of emulation, b/c there is little one can do with them anyway. (BTW, both my brothers married women with incredible red hair, one dark red and the other much lighter. No envy, just admiration! lol)) :ornggrin: Bob

Zequana
June 14th, 2005, 10:55 AM
Happily, your shed hairs are returning and they will grow, in their own time, as will all things. They are your long hairs of tomorrow.

Yes, I hope they will grow. I'm just worried that they might have stopped growing or something.

I don't mind them poking out, they're my halo and I like wild an unruly hair :)
I'm just worried that they might not grow out and the fact that they're all the same length.

Interesting choice of words, Zequana. A "halo" is beautiful indeed!
I didn't even think about my choice of words :) I subconsciously love/accept them it would seem :)

Jenn A
June 14th, 2005, 11:05 AM
I just noticed the other day that I have that halo all over the top of my head!
Err,it's agravating.My hair is thin,fine and very straight.They just stick out all over.
I've no idea if it's breakage or new hair but I'm really hoping it's new hair :D

TwirlyTresses
June 14th, 2005, 01:38 PM
I have that halo, too--a lot of new hair that's only about 2 inches long and curls straight up. I haven't figured out what to do about them either, so I'm just hoping they grow fast. :-)

LilyMunster
June 14th, 2005, 02:25 PM
I have the exact same thing happening. I am thinking it was from changing to a seamless comb and starting on eo scalp massages (for growth) as well as upping the hair building vitamins. With very positive results. New growth.

Lissah
June 14th, 2005, 02:34 PM
I have this too. I do think its just newer shorter hairs that arent long enough to blend in with the rest. My hair is very wavy and they just stick out bad. I can never get a "smooth" look with any style.

harpgal
June 14th, 2005, 02:41 PM
*sigh* I have this same halo except my halo is all white. Oh well, such is life!:rolleyes:

Morticia
June 14th, 2005, 02:47 PM
Ooh-ooh, me too! I think mine is due to delayed new growth postpartum since I bf'ed DD so long. It sticks up whenever I pull my hair back. At the same time that I dislike how they make me look disheveled, I'm excited that it might mean that my hair will eventually have more bulk than it does now.

SunCat
June 14th, 2005, 02:55 PM
Halo here too, mine are mostly white also, they don't bother me anymore as I just accept them as part of my hair, I have a lot of them as my hair is thick :inlove:

Kathleen
June 14th, 2005, 03:43 PM
I have a halo, but I think most of mine re broken. If I need I just use a bit of aloe vera gell. I assume the hairs will grow if you look after them well

Faerieprincess
June 14th, 2005, 09:55 PM
I have this too. The little hairs seem to grow about four inches long and then stop growing. When my hair is up they tend to stick out in curly shapes. I'm wondering if it is new growth or odd hair follicles that have a shorter terminal length than the rest of the scalp hair. As a lot of people seem to have these hairs at any one time, it's a possibility. However, if you've noticed an increase in the amount of halo hairs since caring for your hair, it's probably new growth.

It might also be that the halo hairs are of a finer texture than the rest of your hair. Mine around my face are very thin and fine. When I used to bleach my hair I would warn the hairdresser not to dye those parts because they would always break off straight after bleaching. It's possible that even healthy hair breaks off because halo hairs get the most wear and tear from styling and sweeping the hair back into updos etc. so maybe they break off before they have the chance to get long?

If you find out how to make them grow, please share :wink:

LittleFlower
June 15th, 2005, 12:30 AM
Happily, your shed hairs are returning and they will grow, in their own time, as will all things. They are your long hairs of tomorrow. :smile:

I love your philosophy Celuriel :cloud9: Yes, I have a halo and it has never bothered me. Until one day a friend of mine suggested I get my hair straightened so as to get rid of those hairs :evil: She meant well, but I think I'll stick to looking like an :wannabe:

mariam
June 16th, 2005, 05:04 AM
oh Zequana!! I have the Halo all thru my life.... It is terrible when I get up in the morning and look at myself in the mrror, I see all thsee short hairs standing up like a spring. (Even though I oiled the previous night :-( )

I don know if its new growth or broken hair(resulting from pulling). I hope its new growth dear :-)

foxie
June 16th, 2005, 05:10 AM
I get the same thing. The one thing I *do* have to be careful about though is that they're not breakage. A couple of months ago I noticed I had all these hairs of a certain length and low and behold they reach right to the place that I usually put my bun. :bigeyes: So I try to vary my hair styles and their placement so that I don't get breakage from wearing my hair in the exact same place everyday.

Otherwise, they're just baby hairs that form a halo. Some of them never get longer than a few inches, some of them actually seem to grow. For me it's a question of making sure that the halo isn't trying to tell me something about my hair habits. 8)