Google

Web forums.longhaircommunity.com

View Full Version : High dose of Biotin and thyroid meds

Jenn A
June 6th, 2005, 07:11 AM
I've searched but really haven't found much so far.
Do any of you know if the higher doses of biotin will intefere with thyroid meds?I have Hashimoto's thyroiditis,an autoimmune disease.
Since I had a miscarriage last fall my thryoid levels have been up and down like a yo yo.It's been terrible,everything went haywire!
We've finally gotten it at a reasonable level...and I think it's going to stay there now.
I just don't want to take anything that will mess that up.I can't take soy of anykind either.It really does a number on me.
Thanks for any info :)

DreamingLong
June 6th, 2005, 07:29 AM
I know several people that take Biotin with meds, Biotin is in most of your daily vitamins, I have never heard of it causing a problem. but if you have a question you should ask your doctor, even though doctor's really don't study vitamins.

Jenn A
June 6th, 2005, 09:27 AM
I know several people that take Biotin with meds, Biotin is in most of your daily vitamins, I have never heard of it causing a problem. but if you have a question you should ask your doctor, even though doctor's really don't study vitamins.

Thanks so much.
I figure some wouldn't hurt but wasn't sure about the 5000 mcg!
I was going to ask my endo at my appointment this past Sat but they had her schedule messed up,she won't be here until next Sat.
I will ask her then but like you said,they don;t study vitamins!
Hopefully she'll know.

GoldLady
June 6th, 2005, 09:30 AM
I take thyroid meds and 7500 mcg of Biotin and have not
noticed any negative affects from it at all.

Jenn A
June 6th, 2005, 09:43 AM
I take thyroid meds and 7500 mcg of Biotin and have not
noticed any negative affects from it at all.

Ah,THANK YOU THANK YOU THANK YOU!!!!!!
I realize everyone's different but I am going to start on it.Maybe I should start small and go up gradually.
If it will effect anyone it'll be me...LOL....
Thanks again

CurlyBrunette
June 6th, 2005, 10:24 AM
I also take Synthyroid with 5500mcg of Biotin and no problems here. My levels are always messed up anyway, even before I started Biotin!:lol: If you are really worried you can ask your endocrinologist.

Zequana
June 6th, 2005, 10:43 AM
I hope I don't offend anyone, this is just my humble opinion.
B-vitamins (and biotin) are water-soluble vitamins so it's quite hard to get an overdose. That means that any excess your body gets will be expelled with your urine. That why people who take b-vitamins get very yellow pee.
The recommended daily dosage of biotin is 300 mcg. So those biotin tablets contain at least 10 times what you need. I think that's a very expensive way of getting yellow pee ;) Whatever you take that your body doesn't need will only be expelled with urine so I believe that it's a waste of money. If you have a biotin deficiency then taking a pill of maybe 150 mcg could be good for your hair and nails, but 10 times the daily dosage would probably be a waste. Taking huge amounts of a vitamin is not better, some vitamins are very dangerous taken in overdoses. These are thankfully water-soluble.
I'm not expert though and these are just my opinions and beliefs. I don't want to offend anyone...

Jenn A
June 6th, 2005, 10:48 AM
I also take Synthyroid with 5500mcg of Biotin and no problems here. My levels are always messed up anyway, even before I started Biotin!:lol: If you are really worried you can ask your endocrinologist.

Thanks a bunch.I just mostly wanting to see if anyone else took the hogh dose of biotin while on thyroid meds,too.
I will still ask her about it though.

Jenn A
June 6th, 2005, 10:51 AM
I hope I don't offend anyone, this is just my humble opinion.
B-vitamins (and biotin) are water-soluble vitamins so it's quite hard to get an overdose. That means that any excess your body gets will be expelled with your urine. That why people who take b-vitamins get very yellow pee.
The recommended daily dosage of biotin is 300 mcg. So those biotin tablets contain at least 10 times what you need. I think that's a very expensive way of getting yellow pee ;) Whatever you take that your body doesn't need will only be expelled with urine so I believe that it's a waste of money. If you have a biotin deficiency then taking a pill of maybe 150 mcg could be good for your hair and nails, but 10 times the daily dosage would probably be a waste. Taking huge amounts of a vitamin is not better, some vitamins are very dangerous taken in overdoses. These are thankfully water-soluble.
I'm not expert though and these are just my opinions and beliefs. I don't want to offend anyone...

You didn't offend me at all :)
I appreciate your thoughts on this very much.
I am going to start on just 1000 mcg a day and see how that works for me.
Thank you very much!

Jenn A
June 6th, 2005, 10:53 AM
Ooops,sorry for not signing my posts,I thought my sig was being posted automatically.
Jenn A

Chanda
June 6th, 2005, 11:02 AM
I think that's a very expensive way of getting yellow pee ;)

I wondered why my pee was so yellow. Like, scary, bright neon yellow. I've been taking Nature's Plus hair vitamins, which has a lot of B vitamins and Biotin. :D

zift
June 6th, 2005, 02:53 PM
Jenn A,
I study at the Med school , you can use biotin as you like it won't effect your medication at all , I guess it'S good news for you:grin:
But still I don't support taking extra artificial vitamins for hair or any other reason ( if it's not needed I mean), cause it could cause even cancer but we don't know yet. For example yesterday I've learnt that it'S claimed that using vit E will increase the risc of lung cancer, and we were thinking the opposite because it's an antioxidant. Who knows what will happen with biotin or MSM users over a long time period??

Ursula
June 6th, 2005, 02:58 PM
Another thought - isn't thinning/shedding hair a sign of thyroid problems?

If the biotin does prevent or reduce the thinning of your hair, could it mask the symptoms if your thyroid condition flares up, perhaps preventing you from seeking treatment?

I don't know if it would work that way, or not. But it is something you might want to find out about, in addition to the direct safety issues of combining the biotin with your medication.

Jenn A
June 7th, 2005, 05:22 AM
Jenn A,
I study at the Med school , you can use biotin as you like it won't effect your medication at all , I guess it'S good news for you:grin:
But still I don't support taking extra artificial vitamins for hair or any other reason ( if it's not needed I mean), cause it could cause even cancer but we don't know yet. For example yesterday I've learnt that it'S claimed that using vit E will increase the risc of lung cancer, and we were thinking the opposite because it's an antioxidant. Who knows what will happen with biotin or MSM users over a long time period??

Thank you very much :)
I did hear something about vit e a few weeks back.
You bring up a very good point and I appreciate it very much.

Jenn A
June 7th, 2005, 05:23 AM
Another thought - isn't thinning/shedding hair a sign of thyroid problems?

If the biotin does prevent or reduce the thinning of your hair, could it mask the symptoms if your thyroid condition flares up, perhaps preventing you from seeking treatment?

Hi,
Yes that is very true.With me,I have other symptoms that are even more noticable when I get out of whack...like being stone dead tired! It is terrible!
Thank you!

DreamingLong
June 7th, 2005, 08:32 AM
I have had several symptoms of a Thyroid condition, it runs in my family too, I just got a blood check for a few months back and they said it was negative did anyone else have this problem, should I go get checked again in a few months?

Jenn A
June 7th, 2005, 09:29 AM
I have had several symptoms of a Thyroid condition, it runs in my family too, I just got a blood check for a few months back and they said it was negative did anyone else have this problem, should I go get checked again in a few months?

Hi,
I had dr's tell me that my thyroid was fine for a year and come to find out my tsh was up over 6.That really pee'd me off...BIG TIME.

I would be sure and get my lab results,if your TSH is over 3 you very well could be hypo.
Some poeple feel fine with levels of 3 but when mine gets over 1-2 I feel it.
HTH :)

esme
June 7th, 2005, 09:39 AM
Grr. :mad: Did your doctor test your thyroid repeatedly, JennA? I'm in the same boat as DreamingLong, in that my results were relatively normal.

Jenn A
June 7th, 2005, 10:35 AM
Grr. :mad: Did your doctor test your thyroid repeatedly, JennA? I'm in the same boat as DreamingLong, in that my results were relatively normal.

Yep.....I was having my normal thyroid checks.I had been on meds for a number of years at that time.This was about 5 years ago.That made me go into a bad thryoid setback (as I call it..lol)

You can take 200 mcg (unless you're pregnant) of selenium.That helps your body convert t4 into t3.I notice that it makes me feel some better when I'm on it.I've been bad about not taking the past few weeks,I don't know why.I just can't remember to take them anymore,which is one of my bad symptoms,that and terrible brain fog.

Nerys
June 7th, 2005, 11:32 AM
I've searched but really haven't found much so far.
Do any of you know if the higher doses of biotin will intefere with thyroid meds?I have Hashimoto's thyroiditis,an autoimmune disease.
Since I had a miscarriage last fall my thryoid levels have been up and down like a yo yo.It's been terrible,everything went haywire!
We've finally gotten it at a reasonable level...and I think it's going to stay there now.

I have also hashimoto, I know it since 11 years. I don't think that biotin will intefere with thyroxine. My doc gave me selenium, vitamin B12, vitamin B6 and folic acid, it's to positively affect the immune process for hashimoto. In addition I pay attention to iodine, it isn't good for Hashimoto.
However, it isn't also healthy to take overdoses from vitamines. In the doubt you should ask your doc, he knows it best. Good luck!

Jenn A
June 7th, 2005, 12:12 PM
I have also hashimoto, I know it since 11 years. I don't think that biotin will intefere with thyroxine. My doc gave me selenium, vitamin B12, vitamin B6 and folic acid, it's to positively affect the immune process for hashimoto. In addition I pay attention to iodine, it isn't good for Hashimoto.
However, it isn't also healthy to take overdoses from vitamines. In the doubt you should ask your doc, he knows it best. Good luck!

hashi's is no fun eh?! BUT,I can think of much worse diseases to have so I won't complain.
Have a great day,

Nerys
June 7th, 2005, 11:43 PM
hashi's is no fun eh?! BUT,I can think of much worse diseases to have so I won't complain.

Oh yes, hashi can be sneaky :evil:
But you're absolute right, there is much worse. And still better hashi than Basedow with Graves' ophthalmopathy. Nevertheless it is sometimes very annoying and problematic. I have very good doctors and currently I feel at ease. There is surely good communities in English where you can ask advice. unfortunately I know only German boards about hashi. They're very professional.

I hope you get still an expert answer. Have a nice day!