Google

Web forums.longhaircommunity.com

View Full Version : Recent observation

harpgal
June 2nd, 2005, 10:37 AM
Yesterday, it was raining and I went to the mall to walk laps. Normally, I tromp along with my eyes looking down because I figure if I don't look at anyone, they won't see me striding along like some backwoodsman...you know...if you don't look at anyone, then you are invisible. LOL!

Well anyway, yesterday I decided, "what the heck" and started really looking around at the people. What did my wandering eyes befall? I'd say about 8 out of 10 people had hair below their shoulders! And I actually saw a couple with waist length. Amazing! It seems as if a lot of people are letting their hair grow longer. It was a pleasure to see.:cloud9:

Have any of you noticed this? Do you think that long hair is coming back into "style"?:rolleyes:

cookiemonster
June 2nd, 2005, 11:17 AM
Well, I know a lot of people my age have relatively long hair, around BSL. But lots of times it's dyed, straightened, or thin. Only a few of my friends have long, natural hair (around waist length).

Delila
June 2nd, 2005, 11:28 AM
I notice more long hair when I make the effort to look, that's for sure. I don't think I paid any attention at all until I started posting here, and now I see us everywhere! :)

I think my eye knows what to look for now, when I see someone with their hair in a bun, or even hairsticks. In the past, I wouldn't have wondered how long their hair must be.

Around here, though, a lot of women who let their hair grow long seem to be Pentecostal, making grooming choices that reflect their beliefs in some way, but it doesn't seem to me that this board is in any way dominated by any one particular faith, which is nice.

Danibobanny
June 2nd, 2005, 11:35 AM
The people I see with long hair around here (Boston area) are few and far between. Maybe just because it's an urban area. Those that do have long-ish hair tend to be generally kind of scraggley-looking. EVERYBODY highlights and colors their hair out here (95% or more anyway) Dyeing and highlighting hair is now what perms were in the 80's, everybody does it and you're the weird one if you don't. I intend to grow my hair long and pretty to show these urbanites how normal people keep their real hair.

saracuda
June 2nd, 2005, 11:47 AM
Here in Western Colorado, anything goes, and I think there are more people with shoulder lengh or longer than short hair. Except for little old ladies. It's nice to see how other people have their hair, and the various states of health it's in. My class reunion is tomorrow, and one of our classmates is a guy with waist-length hair. It was short in high school, but I guess it has been ten years. I'm so jealous!

LongHairGirl
June 2nd, 2005, 12:26 PM
I think so! Since joining here I've been really paying attention the hair lengths of other people (:D), & lately I've noticed quite a few longhairs. Infact, when I was at the grocery store yesterday with my mom checking lotto tickets a woman behind the counter had gorgeous waist length hair. Then I glanced around and so did the woman behind me! And these women looked to be in their late 30s-early 40s. Very cool! :)

Sharon
June 2nd, 2005, 12:33 PM
EVERYBODY highlights and colors their hair out here (95% or more anyway) Dyeing and highlighting hair is now what perms were in the 80's, everybody does it and you're the weird one if you don't. I intend to grow my hair long and pretty to show these urbanites how normal people keep their real hair.

It's about the same where I'm at in Santa Monica, not frar from Hollywood. It's like an unwritten law that a person should dye or highlight their hair.

I've decided to go against the grain, and let my dye job grow out.

Babyfine
June 2nd, 2005, 01:08 PM
There may be a trend towards longer hair. There was an article over at Longhairlovers.com that a major salon chain was complaining that now that women are growing their hair longer, they are losing business. (I think this may have been discussed on the boards here before.)

Rain
June 2nd, 2005, 01:12 PM
It's about the same where I'm at in Santa Monica, not frar from Hollywood. It's like an unwritten law that a person should dye or highlight their hair.

I've decided to go against the grain, and let my dye job grow out.

Exactly. Since I am 30 and I have long hair as well as virgin hair, I'm pretty much a total freak. :silly:

harpgal
June 2nd, 2005, 01:23 PM
Oh how cool! It is great to hear this good news from all over the country! I'm sure that all of us are good examples of how beautiful long hair can be...don't ya think?

Lady Godiva
June 2nd, 2005, 02:03 PM
Oh how cool! It is great to hear this good news from all over the country! I'm sure that all of us are good examples of how beautiful long hair can be...don't ya think?Yep, we're long hair ambassadors sometimes. :rockerdud

I always check out biker hair. Love biker events, although the women tend to bleach their hair into smithereens. :silly:

Amari
June 2nd, 2005, 02:03 PM
I live in a college town and there are tons of young ladies with long hair. There are also some, ehem, older ladies such as myself with longer hair. There is one lady in particular at the gas station I use that has bleach blond hair and it looks like a really frizzy perm. I need to pay more attention and see if she has dark roots. Her hair is probably at least waist length .

AussieBloke
June 2nd, 2005, 03:23 PM
Yesterday, it was raining and I went to the mall to walk laps.

I don't think this exercise routine has caught on down here yet. :) I remember when I was in the US last and visiting a big mall in Spokane, WA ( or was it Homestead, FL) and I saw this group of people all in exercise clothes striding around the mall. It was the most unusualist thing I had seen!

But back to topic.

Normally, I tromp along with my eyes looking down because I figure if I don't look at anyone, they won't see me striding along like some backwoodsman...you know...if you don't look at anyone, then you are invisible. LOL!

The one thing I've observed when I start walking around looking at people, is that they all seem to have a sixth sense that they are being looked at. It's very embarrasing noticing someones longhair and then they reflexively look straight at you. As I keep walking along I endless say in my head 'Doh! <ten more metres> Doh!' <rinse and repeat> as I get caught out. :(

Have any of you noticed this? Do you think that long hair is coming back into "style"?:rolleyes:

Maybe because I'm more attuned to longhair that I notice it more. I remember reading about a year or so ago that longhair was getting more fashionable for men again, but a year on and it's died off again I think.

Actually I had one good sighting yesterday of a girl with longhair. She had nearly waste length hair, but what really set it off was that she was wearing a real long dress. It looked like something from the late 1800's/early 1900's but with a hippy twist to it but it made her look very feminine.

MaryH
June 2nd, 2005, 03:30 PM
Weighing in here from San Francisco. The only people with long hair here are either students, or hippies in the Haight! I think SF women are allergic to long hair.

wantlonghair
June 2nd, 2005, 03:43 PM
Long hair is in over here in Albuquerque, I've noticed the same thing a lot of long hairs even older women and men. Yea! I've noticed the same thing on TV too, I got a magazine from my church and the front cover had a girl with very long hair on the front cover.

Speedbump
June 2nd, 2005, 04:06 PM
Long hair has always been a fairly accepted thing in West Virginia, both on men and women (although on men it's usually a mullet rather than all over). If you are in downtown Charleston it's not unusual to see women in their 30s and up with long hair back in barrettes or in ponytails.

One thing that I have noticed is that the younger people, who tend to be the haircutters around here, have been growing long. I see all sorts of little teenagers (and when I say little I mean skinny as rails) with long straight hair. For sure a lot of them straighten their hair, but it usually looks to be in pretty good shape. BSL is the average, but sometimes I'll see a waistlength or tailbone head of hair. Classic (or longer) is very unusual here, or at least these folks don't wear it down. Waist-length is definitely the most popular "really long" hair length, and BSL is the most popular "long but still trendy" length.

Speedy

Delila
June 2nd, 2005, 04:20 PM
Now that I think about it, I regularly see a number of women who wear the back part of their hair really long, the sides and their bangs pretty short. I guess I'm not sure I understand this look.

lass05
June 2nd, 2005, 04:31 PM
Yea i have alot!! even the guys are growing out as well! its kinda like the 70's and 80's combined with today lol! :rockerdud:grin:

Emily C.
June 2nd, 2005, 06:36 PM
There's a remarkable amount of long hair here in New Zealand. Friends of mine who visit from the US comment that lots of women here wear their hair long. Even "short hair" tends to be on the longish side, between ear and collarbone. Pretentious city types - many older women among them - tend to go for shoulder to BSL length hair, very immaculately kept, often colored/dyed blonde and cut blunt. Outside of that, there's lots of long braids and hair, especially for both men and women of Pacific Island background. At one grocery store I go to, all the cashiers seem to have long hair, which they wear in chignons with flowers in them. One day I saw where the flowers come from - a little old lady brings them a basket from her garden each morning, and the staff use these for their hair throughout the day. Neat!

DreamingLong
June 2nd, 2005, 06:46 PM
Yeah, here it seems yo becoming back into style, but as soon as the weather changes so do the hair styles.

spunkymonki87
June 2nd, 2005, 09:18 PM
you know, i think you're on to something! it does seem like longer hair is more coveted than in the recent years (poo for me...i like being special) Maybe this has something to do with the 60s-70s getup that is so popular right now. any ideas about this?

singindierain
June 2nd, 2005, 11:04 PM
I live next to an Apache Indian Reservation and see long hair all the time. And I mean-extremely long hair! These women grow thick, black, shiny long hair. Most don't color or perm except the younger ones (teenagers). The older Indian women have gray hair and it's usually up in a bun or braided. Also the city is predominantly Mexican-American and most younger women, at least here, grow longer hair BSL at least. Of course today, I went to the court house and noticed all the women there are **older** :grin: and they ALL they short-short hair. So I guess there is a mixture here.

Sharon
June 4th, 2005, 06:18 PM
Today when out with my DD I was blessed with seeing not one but two ladies with hair down to at least their waist. Not just the BSL that is considered long today.

Rotch
June 4th, 2005, 10:11 PM
Thankfully, there is much long hair outside Philly in Pa. AND, most is of excellent quality. The nicest trend I've noticed in the past year or so is that a significant minority of women beyond 35 are absolutely recommitting to longer styles. It's fun to encourage them! :wink: Bpb

spunkymonki87
June 4th, 2005, 11:16 PM
MaryH--

I hope to one day be one of those hippies walking through downtown San Francisco :D Actually, I've noticed that kids my age who are into different styles are growing out their hair. It's probably just fashion doing it's repeating loop-de-loops again. everything comes back into style :>

Misti
June 4th, 2005, 11:50 PM
I, too, have noticed a lot more really long hair on women lately. I was at an outdoor event downtown yesterday and noticed that, especially on women my age, longer (bsl) hair seems to be becoming "normal". There were a few women with very short hair -- but it was odd to notice that they were definitely in the monority.

But truly long hair (waist length and longer) is still quite rare. It always will be, though, I think, because it takes real committment to grow very long hair and as many have commented here, the fashions change with the weather. ;)

SmileCat
June 5th, 2005, 10:15 AM
Yep, we're long hair ambassadors sometimes. :rockerdud

I always check out biker hair. Love biker events, although the women tend to bleach their hair into smithereens. :silly:

On the upside of that, the other day I saw a tall woman on a motorcycle with a thick, hiplength braid of lovely blonde hair. The best part was that it was in a leather braid protector and had obviously grown since the protector was made!

Niniane
June 5th, 2005, 11:09 AM
I'm gonna respectfully disagree with MaryH. (Although I sometimes felt like I was the only longhair in Belmont, I was past classic when I was living there, a definate anomaly for the mid-pen) I actually see alot of BSL-Waist, and some longer, and more than I used to see. But the longer it is, it's seems more likely to be on a Latina, Asian, or Pacific Islander than on a Caucasian girl, except for the aforementioned students and hippies. But, I am a student AND I shop in the Haight, so I can't say anything about that statement! But most of my friends with long hair I know through taking hula and are mainly Philipino or Hawaiian or something like that.

And while writing this, I've seen at least 6 people walk by at BSL or longer.

sacred_poetry
June 5th, 2005, 11:18 AM
I've made two interesting observations lately. First, although around BS seems to be the most common here (Gothenburg, Sweden) waistlenght and beyond is by no means rare. Did see my first RL-classic sighting a few days ago, so that long is still uncommon.
Second, we seem to have a lot of redheads. Although a lot of them are dyejobs, I see a surprising number of natural redheads whenever I go out. I know I see more than I used to because I'm looking for them, but I do seem to get a few every day.

Garnet66
June 5th, 2005, 11:35 PM
Yesterday, it was raining and I went to the mall to walk laps. Normally, I tromp along with my eyes looking down because I figure if I don't look at anyone, they won't see me striding along like some backwoodsman...you know...if you don't look at anyone, then you are invisible. LOL!

Well anyway, yesterday I decided, "what the heck" and started really looking around at the people. What did my wandering eyes befall? I'd say about 8 out of 10 people had hair below their shoulders! And I actually saw a couple with waist length. Amazing! It seems as if a lot of people are letting their hair grow longer. It was a pleasure to see.:cloud9:

I think long hair must be coming back into style. I'm constantly seeing waist or longer lengths here. It's like a daily occurance. We have a huge population of Native Hawaiians and Asians and that's who I'm seeing all the long hair on. The caucasians here are mainly military related so they mostly have the soccer mom thing going on. I'll be so glad when mine gets to be bsl. I'll be the one people are staring at. It's strange though. I only notice people with waist or longer hair. It's strange, everybody else may as well be a big gray blob because I don't notice them. What's up with that?

ETA: I just thought of this. If I don't notice anyone with shorter than waist length I shouldn't even look at myself for another two years. That's one way to keep myself from cutting it. If I don't see it I don't know how bad it really looks.

Niniane
June 6th, 2005, 07:19 AM
I notice the same thing, unless it's longer than waistlength it doesn't usually register with me. But since I found LHC a few weeks ago, I've been paying more attention to shorter long hair, and at first I was suprised by how much I was seeing.
But when my hair was around mid-thigh, I loved it when we went to Hawai'i cause I didn't feel like such a freak since half the population has long hair :)

MusicLady
June 6th, 2005, 07:46 AM
I know I've noticed a lot more longs hairs since I've been on LHC. In my area, though, most of the long hair is on younger folks. Most women my age have gone short and dyed years ago. I saw a woman with classic length a couple weeks ago, but it was up North away from the city.