Google

Web forums.longhaircommunity.com

View Full Version : Neck tangles

ayc200
May 30th, 2005, 09:07 AM
I have long hair reaching a bit past my shoulder blades. I recently got a layered cut and trim. It is much easier to stick a hair comb through now, since I don't have such a thick bunch to work with.

My perpetual problem is the hair that grows from the base of my neck and flows down my back keeps getting tangled in knots. I have straight hair, and I want to keep it untangled because the stress encourages split ends. The hair around that area usually has split ends, first. I have to constantly trim bits off. I have noticed that things such as dust and lint get combed out from neck hair when I try to comb the tangles. Strange, since I don't wear particularly fuzzy things. Maybe it's hair static attracting fuzz.

I use a detangler, but the knots STILL come. Probably from moving and turning my head. I want to keep my hair down and not stress it since I am also trying to grow my hair very long.

Any advice?

dancingmegs
May 30th, 2005, 09:55 AM
I get the same thing, mostly if i am wearing my hair in a nape ponytail. I dan't really have any solid advice because I have not come up with a solution for myself.

Is your hair long enough for a braid? if so, that should keep the tangles to a minimum. otherwise, just fingercomb (or regular comb) it regularily to keep the knots from getting too bad. Not a lot of help, I know. Sorry!

Amari
May 30th, 2005, 03:42 PM
I'm having the same problem. I've found tiny knots the last two days and have had to cut them out. I notice more problems if I wear my hair in a high ponytail.

cunumen
May 30th, 2005, 05:15 PM
Welcome. If you want to wear it loose, it might be good to look for smoother fabrics so that your hair doesn't get caught on the back of your shirt.

Carolyn
May 30th, 2005, 05:56 PM
If you recently got a layers then you will probably have difficulty with any kinds of braids and most up styles. Those are your best bet for avoiding nape tangles. I would suggest a leave in. If you don't want to use it all over your hair just use it on your underneath hair at the nape. I think a silcone based leave in gives me the best slip. I don't know your thoughts on silicone products so this is just a suggestion. I like Biosilk a lot. It seems to be light and not too greasy and has great slip. I find I get the same amount of tangles in the back no matter what I wear. I also have a lot of lint and dust in my brush like you do. I've always thought it was from lacking of dusting in my house. One thing I do to minimize the degree of tangles at the end of the day is to finger comb several times during the day to detangle. Usually I can work them out. SOmtimes one strand at a time. Only rarely have I had to snip a snarl off.