Google

Web forums.longhaircommunity.com

View Full Version : Determining Hair Toy Colour

subbes
February 24th, 2005, 01:59 PM
I have a dilemma. Looking over the colours of wood Mamacat offers hair toys in (I'm getting at least a pair of sticks! :D), I have no idea what colors complement my hair best. I just tend to wear whatever I can find -- but I'd like these toys to be the right colours for me.

I have brown hair, as you can see from my sig pic (the bottom one is not representative of my colour, it's the result of a flash and fluorescent lighting). Please, offer your advice and knowledge!

How do you know what colors flatter your hair? What colors have you found that work for you?

Any advice for me?

Elitacat
February 24th, 2005, 02:09 PM
I think the most important thing is that you like the color, even if it isn't "perfect" for your hair color. After all, if you don't like the color, and it doesn't match anything, you won't wear it anyway.

Having said that, the LongLocks Hair sticks site has a section on what colors look best with what color of hair.
http://www.longlocks.com/hair-color-chart.htm
It is geared toward jeweled colors, but I think you could get a general idea of what would look nice from it.

subbes
February 24th, 2005, 02:10 PM
How did I never see that chart before? I look at longlocks so often, too!

Ursula
February 24th, 2005, 02:17 PM
It depends, I suppose, on what you want, and your goals. Do you want a color that contrasts with your hair, or one that blends in?

For everyday, I don't want anything flashy, so I tend to use dark brown hairsticks for a bun, or black scrunchies to fasten a braid. They sort of disappear into my hair, which is dark brown.

When I want something colorful, I choose colors that match my clothes. Since I'll choose clothes where I think the color looks good on me (including with my hair) it all sort of comes together.

As long as the colors in your hairtoys and in your clothes look good together, and your clothes look good on you, it should all look good on you.

esme
February 24th, 2005, 02:49 PM
As long as the colors in your hairtoys and in your clothes look good together, and your clothes look good on you, it should all look good on you.
Well said. In fact, I think if the colors in your hairtoys and in your clothes both look good on you, they'll harmonize even if they don't match.

For what it's worth, my hair is a redder color but a similar value, and I was thinking about adding a two-tone brown Maxima. I'm hoping the effect will be sober but rich.

foxie
February 24th, 2005, 03:42 PM
I think Ursula gave some great advice. =) I wouldn't worry too much about what "goes" so long as you are happy with the overall look.

Personally, I like lighter colors with dark hair for a really dramatic look. Pinks or yellows. Silvery or pale woods would also look really cool. =) Not that I don't have my fair share of black/dark brown sticks too, mind you.

Do let us know what you finally decide on!

Ursula
February 24th, 2005, 03:49 PM
In fact, I think if the colors in your hairtoys and in your clothes both look good on you, they'll harmonize even if they don't match.

True, within limits. You may look good in both hot pink and pale butter yellow, worn separately, but put together, the effect would be jarring.

kissedbyfyre
February 24th, 2005, 04:03 PM
For me it's taken some playing around in combo with my knowledge of color theory. I tend to stick by color theory rules without even realizing what I've done.

Every once and awhile I'll break out of that and find a color that I LOVE, that I thought would never work (for example, coppers and bronzes).

If I'm being anal about things, I tend to use toys that match my clothing and/or makeup. Not difficult being that my wardrobe colors are limited to blacks, purples and greens. ;)

Although I disagree with the long locks chart for red. I HATE HATE HATE pink on redheads. *twitch* Nothing irritates me more than the over done, redhead in pink idea.

Rain
February 24th, 2005, 04:30 PM
I generally pick hair toy colors based on what's going to co-ordinate with my clothes and/or other jewelry. I wear a lot of black and jewel tones, particularly rich reds. I don't wear a lot of prints. I like drama but simplicity (can you tell I'm a Libra? <g>), which is why Blondiesturn's squared bloodwood fork appealed to me so much. The lines are clean but the color is intense. Red doesn't go with everything but I get a lot of use out of that fork. It's very me. I also like copper, bronze and silver. Aged copper might be my favorite hair metal. It works well with my highlights in the sun but also works with my darker indoor color.

I'd be looking for colors that appeal to you, that you can already find existing in your closet, that you see yourself putting on day after day. If you're not sure what colors to pick, I would start with something in basic black or tortoise because they go with just about anything.

subbes
February 24th, 2005, 05:26 PM
I'm currently leaning towards green or blue, but I do love purple (I'm bidding on http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&rd=1&item=6746538103&ssPageName=STRK:MEBI:IT because the wood is such a pretty color). Maybe I'll just have to buy a stick in every color! Hmm...

CurlyBrunette
February 24th, 2005, 06:04 PM
I agree with everyone's theories on color. They all make sense to me and how I try to match (somewhat) my hairtoys to what I am wearing. I wear a lot of earthy colors and I also LOVE pastels in the spring/summer. My favorite color is pink (actually wearing pink PJ's right now:lol:)and its always been since I was a teenager. Right now I am trying to decide on what Mamacat hairstick I want. Its soooo hard because you cant get just one!

eilla04
February 24th, 2005, 09:25 PM
Just get one in every color!!! Kidding.. I agree with all the other advice. Just think about what you think would look good in your hair. I dont think it really matters as long as you like it and think it looks good everyone else will to. If you carry it well noone will think twice about it I promise...Plus its your hair and your sticks so do you really care what everyone else thinks? If they are pretty and you like them get them..:)

Eilla

subbes
February 24th, 2005, 10:10 PM
I ordered one raspberry and one indigo. Next time I might go for a wood tone, or a blue. Heck, in the long run I'd love to have a set in every colour, but I'm not that rich and mamacat might get tired of making them.

Elbereth
February 24th, 2005, 10:35 PM
I'm such a hairstick addict...they're the only colorful jewelry I use daily. I think that natural color wood goes with anything for everyone, as well as simple black and white, and metallic shades of gold and silver.

From there, it becomes more complicated. In my hair, I don't like yellow or too light pastels, or too bright basic colors, otherwise almost everything goes if the design is nice. I like raspberry pink, violet and shades of green. My latest hairstick order from LongLocks was zircon blue...I'm sure it will look great in my hair. Currently (counting the hairsticks that are on their way home) my collection of quality hairsticks is 15 pairs, and I think there's still much missing from it :lol:

If you want to keep your collection small, I advise that you take your hairsticks in some basic color that goes with everything. If you like, later you can grow your collection to include more colorful designs that don't have to go with all of your clothes. :)