Google

Web forums.longhaircommunity.com

View Full Version : Hair idols?

veil
January 17th, 2005, 04:22 PM
I was pondering why some individuals choose to grow thier hair long, and by long...I mean past classic (or aspiring to). My thoughts brought me to childhood influences....and I thought about my own hair idols from a young age. Naturally Crystal Gail comes to mind if you are in your thirtys...so my question is...Who was your hair idol growing up, and why do you choose to grow your hair past the 'acceptable' length of the modern day?

Marianne
January 17th, 2005, 04:33 PM
Rapunzel :lol: Well, perhaps not an idol as such, but it was one of my favourite stories and I remember the pictures showing her full length particularly well.

I never really made the conscious decision to have long hair. It's kind of like any other body part for me. I didn't decide to grow those, they are just there, and I wouldn't care for them to be removed.

Countrymouse
January 17th, 2005, 04:39 PM
Good question. Honestly, I didn't have a long hair idol growing up. I'm in my 30's and grew up listening to country music so of course I saw Crystal Gayle's gorgeous long hair often, but that's not what made me want to keep mine long. I've cut it short a few times but always grew it back just becuase I missed it. I didn't feel like "me" without it. So my answer to why I want beyond classic length hair is .... me. Just becuase I like my hair long. :wink:

RapunzelEnvy
January 17th, 2005, 04:52 PM
Growing up I liked short hair and so I loved Ashley Judd's short do.

But now that I'm interested in long hair I find that their aren't really any well known waist/classic haired idols to admire.

Teacherbear
January 17th, 2005, 04:53 PM
Good question because <I'll probably get flogged for this> but I thought Crystal Gail's hair was just . . . I didn't like it. So I don't know who my "idol" was. I looooved the Long N Lovely shampoo commercials/print ads. I also remember having my hair cut for the first time when I was 4. Then I remember almost sitting on my hair when my Mom combed it out when I was in 1st or 2nd grade (I don't know if the math works out, but that's how I remember things).

Several years ago I was surprised at my hair nearing waist length (when my arm was at my waist behind my back) and wanted to see how much longer it would grow. I don't have great aspirations for mid-thigh or knee length.

I am a bit intrigued at it growing a littttttle bit longer (braid tassel being classic length).

Why do I grow it? because I like being different from the norm in a subtle way (I consider hair to be subtle) yet substantial way. It isn't just a whim. I also like the versatility. I can have very short hair (updos) or long (braids, ponys, and open).

naomimcc
January 17th, 2005, 04:54 PM
Naturally Crystal Gail comes to mind if you are in your thirtys...

Hey! I'm not in my 30's (yet...damn close though! :silly: ) and I remember Crystal Gayle. She, in fact, was my first hair idol. My second would have to be my neighbour across the street who had waist length salt and pepper hair. She ended up cutting it super short, like old lady at the salon for her weekly set short :hatchet: and it looked terrible...I cried for her!!!

Currently though I have lots: just look on these boards!!! :flowers:

RapunzelEnvy
January 17th, 2005, 04:55 PM
*drift* Countrymouse, your hair is gorgeous. So shiny :inlove: *end drift*

SilkenTresses
January 17th, 2005, 04:59 PM
My grandmother and my sisters. Growing up my sisters always had long hair but not me and I always wanted it long. But this time it was my grandmother who passed away at 93 with long hair (not classic but it was long). I never knew anyone with hair below their tailbone til I came here. That's why I've never left!!!

Countrymouse
January 17th, 2005, 05:06 PM
*drift* Countrymouse, your hair is gorgeous. So shiny :inlove: *end drift*
Aw, thanks, RapunzelEnvy. :blushing:

Mamid
January 17th, 2005, 05:28 PM
Finola Huges (Anna Devaine Scorpio Lavery from GH)
The blond who plays Felicia Jones Scorpio, also from GH.
Jane Seymore.

Unfortunately, all three of them have cut their hair! AUGH

Meezer
January 17th, 2005, 05:37 PM
When I was a kid, I longed for Melissa Gilbert's braided tresses on "Little House on the Prairie". Unfortunately, painful, tangled brushing sessions left me begging my mother to chop of my curls when I was in the 2nd grade. I ended up with a she-mullet up until 7th grade when I decided to grow my hair longer for no particular reason.

As an adult, I've decided to grow my hair longer simply b/c it is easier for me... and my curls seem to enjoy being longer. I have coaxed my hair into short, trendy styles; super straight, sleek styles, and an assortment of mid-lengths only to realize that Laura Ingals knew what was best after all. :D

Carolyn
January 17th, 2005, 05:53 PM
I always wanted long hair. But wasn't allowed to have it much below shoulders until 9th grade when my mom finally let me have control of it. I had a baby sitter, I think maybe in about 2nd grade who had a long braid. I remember it as thick and auburn and to her waist. Her name was Vienna and I just adored her. She was a gymnast at the Y. I can remember her doing an exhibition at halftime of a basketball game. It was tramoline and floor exercise. I can still see her jumping and flipping and spinning and that braid flying behind her. I remember the comments from the crowd about her hair. I wanted that too. High school and college was the late 60s - early 70s. Everyone had long hair. I remember the Long and Silky ads and wanting that hair. There was one girl with past waist length hair leaning on a fence. I would have given anything to be her. Later on I went thru lots of styles but nothing shorter than shoulder length. I'd get there and freak out about how short it was and start growing again. I don't have hair idols now other than you guys. after my dreadful Jennifer Anniston cut I decided I was going long again come hell or high water.

Hairstorm
January 17th, 2005, 06:08 PM
Mostly Anne of Green Gables.

heidi w.
January 17th, 2005, 06:23 PM
I love all the Medieval stories....

King Arthur's Court and Gwenevierre and her Ladies in Waiting
Tristan & Isolde
The Green Knight
Sir Gawain stories.....

and in all these stories, love the pictures where the women all had long hair, flowing gowns, and beauty that inspired men to be gentlemen and honor these women. (Naturally, of course, this is all romanticized by the present tense, but that doesn't bother me any!)

Then there's Fairy Tales: Rapunzel, The Twelve Princesses, Cinderella, Trolls, and a gazillion other possibilities.

Then there's the world of Shakespeare and his strong women, and the Court of Queen Elizabeth I: where hair was a sign of status (especially when decorated even if in a wig). Courtly life in general.

Then there's tons and tons of art, from Flemish to Renaissance, Egyptians, Greeks, the Venus de Wilhelmina (no, not long hair, but fertility is in part expressed through the hair--a rather old connection to the idea of hair, fertility and good health being intertwined).... and certainly all the Greek tales show a lot of beautiful long hair, Aphrodite, Diana the Huntress, and the list continues.

And of course, the story of Lady Godiva which only more recently did I learn the more "factual" elements of the story and why she rode through town naked except for being clothed in her hair.

And I am my mother's daughter and a product of the 60s. Indeed, one of my all time favorite lines in song:

"Oh say can you see
My eyes if you can.....
Then my hair's too short!"

And there's tons of poetry and other musical references to hair including the one of Shakespeare's sonnet #130
My mistress' eyes are nothing like the sun;
Coral is far more red than her lips' red;
If snow be white, why then her breasts are dun;
If hairs be wires, black wires grow on her head.
I have seen roses damasked, red and white,
But no such roses see I in her cheeks;
And in some perfumes is there more delight
Than in the breath that from my mistress reeks.
I love to hear her speak, yet well I know
That music hath a far more pleasing sound;
I grant I never saw a goddess go;
My mistress when she walks treads on the ground.
And yet, by heaven, I think my love as rare
As any she belied with false compare."

Now that's a beautiful woman, and who wouldn't want to receive this poem from her beloved??

Then there's spooky stuff such as Sylvia Plath's Lady Lazarus....what a powerful image that red hair, eh? In an era of feminism before it took its grip. (Remember, she wanted to be the arrow that shot into the world, not the woman behind the man)

I have done it again.
One year in every ten
I manage it--

A sort of walking miracle, my skin
Bright as a Nazi lampshade,
My right foot

A paperweight,
My face featureless, fine
Jew linen.

Peel off the napkin
O my enemy.
Do I terrify?--

The nose, the eye pits, the full set of teeth?
The sour breath
Will vanish in a day.

Soon, soon the flesh
The grave cave ate will be
At home on me

And I a smiling woman.
I am only thirty.
And like the cat I have nine times to die.

This is Number Three.
What a trash
To annihilate each decade.

What a million filaments.
The peanut-crunching crowd
Shoves in to see

Them unwrap me hand and foot--
The big strip tease.
Gentlemen, ladies

These are my hands
My knees.
I may be skin and bone,

Nevertheless, I am the same, identical woman.
The first time it happened I was ten.
It was an accident.

The second time I meant
To last it out and not come back at all.
I rocked shut

As a seashell.
They had to call and call
And pick the worms off me like sticky pearls.

Dying
Is an art, like everything else.
I do it exceptionally well.

I do it so it feels like hell.
I do it so it feels real.
I guess you could say I've a call.

It's easy enough to do it in a cell.
It's easy enough to do it and stay put.
It's the theatrical

Comeback in broad day
To the same place, the same face, the same brute
Amused shout:

'A miracle!'
That knocks me out.
There is a charge

For the eyeing of my scars, there is a charge
For the hearing of my heart--
It really goes.

And there is a charge, a very large charge
For a word or a touch
Or a bit of blood

Or a piece of my hair or my clothes.
So, so, Herr Doktor.
So, Herr Enemy.

I am your opus,
I am your valuable,
The pure gold baby

That melts to a shriek.
I turn and burn.
Do not think I underestimate your great concern.

Ash, ash--
You poke and stir.
Flesh, bone, there is nothing there--

A cake of soap,
A wedding ring,
A gold filling.

Herr god, Herr Lucifer
Beware
Beware.

Out of the ash
I rise with my red hair
And I eat men like air.

23-29 October 1962

And there's tons of other more lyrical and melodic poetry.....just tons to be inspiring. There's the eerie story of Faulkner's A Rose for Miss Emily when after her death, they find one steely gray hair on her pillowcase. She could not have her lover in life; so she took him in death.

And of course, who can forget the regret of Delila shoring Samson's hair, and Samson seemingly losing his power which he believed came through his hair only to have everything back in spades to create the downfall of a town...the simple explanation (don't want to go into a religious dialogue here since I am not qualified).

And comparatively speaking, there's the horrid imagery of the head of snakes, Medusa, when looking upon her face, one turned to stone! Another powerful image....

and our current society has volumes of dialogue and imagery surrounding hair. So, to anyone who thinks it's "just hair" -- it's identity; it places people in eras; it's historical; it has power and loss combined with it.....(many cultures practice shoring the hair as a symbol of the loss of a loved one)

Hair was everywhere in the world I grew up in, not the least being my Mother who had beautiful wavy, thick brown hair that she created into all kinds of postures and whom her beloved termed "silk."

Rain
January 17th, 2005, 06:32 PM
My parents weren't big country music fans but I still remember seeing Crystal Gayle on television. I guess we didn't have many channels. All I remembered about her is the hair. When I found out she's a distant relative of mine, I decided to see if my hair will get that long.

've always loved fairy tales so of course Rapunzel...and probably the Brady girls to some extent since I grew up watching them. There were so many people on television and in my life with long hair and I wanted it badly! I don't remember specific inspiring heads of hair but I started school in the '70s and there were a lot of people with long hair back then.

As for why I keep it freakishly long now, I've never been "normal" and I don't intend to start now. I love long hair and always dreamed of having it but if I lived in a time and place where it was expected of me to have it, I'd want to cut it all off. I don't labor under any delusions that I'm so amazingly unique from every other person in the world and I have totally original ideas about everything but I like not having a trendy haircut that closely resembles everyone else's. It's not that I have a need to stand out so much as I'm going to stand out anyway so I may as well have the hair I want in the meanwhile.

ETA: Almost forgot one major influence. "Mojo Pin" by Jeff Buckley. It begins, "I still feel your hair, black ribbons of coal/they touch my skin and keep me whole." :cloud9:

purplebubba
January 17th, 2005, 06:41 PM
Mostly Anne of Green Gables.

Yes, both in the books and Megan Follows in the movies. Also Colleen Dewhurst with her long grey or s&p hair.

As far as growing up. My friend Michele and her mom had hair that was between shoulders and bs and when I was younger that was long hair to me. Sure I'd seen Crystal on tv but as far as everyday inspiration Shelly's hair was long and pretty enough. It wasn't so much that it was long but because I saw her everyday I got to see her wear it in braids, tails, down. But she was also my best friend so she and I connected and I saw her as a beautiful person too. It's the way I see people here. The hair is nice to look at but I like getting to know everyone. There's a glow here that doesn't come from a bottle.
http://photobucket.com/albums/v158/purplebubba/smilies/Heartlight.gif

I really like seeing people have successes here. To me growing out bangs, or getting past chin or shoulders is just as nice to see as someone reaching knee length.

As far as my hair, I grew it because I hated short buzzed haircuts as a kid. I basically grew my hair so it wouldn't be short. Now I'm growing it because I not only want it long but I like it long. I've been at least 2 feet or longer for years now and I'm looking forward to getting to 3 feet, but slowly. I want 3 feet of good hair, not just 3 feet of long hair. I'm glad I can share my journey with you all.

mermaidlullaby
January 17th, 2005, 06:43 PM
My childhood pediatritian had exquisit lond white hair that she braided. I had to be down to her waist. I loved going just to stare at her hair. Mature older women are so beautiful with long hair. Like in olden times. I hope we all grow old gracefuly with long tresses!

Garnet66
January 17th, 2005, 06:59 PM
I didn't have any hair idols growing up becuase I hated my long, long hair. I really wanted mine like Dorothy Hamill like all the other girls but no way dad would let me cut it. Right now my idols are all here. :cloud9:

heathernm
January 17th, 2005, 07:40 PM
Like luvmy2girls, I didn't have idols because my hair was that long. And I hated it!

I was always the girl with the LONG hair in school, and I felt that I wanted an identity AWAY from my hair. But, my parents wouldn't let me cut it. Not for regligious reasons, but because I had no hair till I was 2, and my mom had LONG hair. Other than that I think they just liked it.

My mom always had long hair, until she had brain surgery for an aneurysm in 1991. Well, her hair hasn't been the same since and she now has it at her shoulders.

But for my idols now, of course I don't have to look far because of all you lovely ladies! But I also look at my pics of my hair before and KICK myself for being rebelious!

One last cute note... My parents have been married for almost 40 years, and my dad still carries a pic in his wallet of my Mom sitting on his classic car with her LONG beautiful hair from when they were dating.

Kleis
January 17th, 2005, 07:53 PM
I didn't have any serious hair idols, in part because I grew up without a lot of media. No television, and you just don't get hair envy/inspiration listening to NPR. :smile: I also always had long hair until I experimented with shorter styles (briefly) as a teen.

That said, I occasionally went to movies and when I saw someone with longer hair on the big screen, I loved it. Especially if it was similar to my own, but better. I still remember how very gorgeous I thought Carole Bouquet was in For Your Eyes Only. I was thirteen at the time and I wanted to look just like her.

Nenwing
January 17th, 2005, 07:54 PM
Hmm, well since its only recently that I've wanted to go back to long, I would say my biggest "idols" are Galadriel, Arwen, and Eowyn! :grnbiggri Nothin like getting inspiration from 2 elves (well one a half elf) and a human with some really beautiful LONG tresses, even if they're fantasy! ;)
I'd say out of the 3 tho, prolly Eowyn's hair strikes me the most. Lol I wish there was a light brown in there amongst the very long golden and dark shades of the LotR characters. Hobbits do, but theirs tends to be shorter. ;)

Rain
January 17th, 2005, 08:01 PM
Nenwing, I forgot Arwen! My hair was probably somewhere between shoulder and BSL when the first LOTR came out. I didn't know what to do with it and cutting was on my mind a lot until I saw Arwen's stunning mane (real or not, I don't care) and remembered what I was doing growing it out in the first place.

CurlyBrunette
January 17th, 2005, 08:02 PM
My current hair idols are Eowyn and Sarah Brightman:inlove:

Speedbump
January 17th, 2005, 08:03 PM
Oh, totally Princess Leia from Star Wars was my first huge hair idol. My dad took me and my little brother to see it. I was four years old (it came out exactly one month after my fourth birthday!), my brother was not quite 2 years old, and we both *adored* it. He loved the ray guns, I loved Han Solo and Leia's hair! LOL

Other early hair idols were Robin Wright (now Wright Penn). I watched her back in the 80s on Santa Barbara, lusting after her hair, and then when The Princess Bride came out I knew I had to see that, too. Of course she has since cut it to about shoulder length :cry: but at the time...

Another one, though minor because I didn't see much of her, was Kim Basinger. Yes, she's a silly girl who plays screaming chicks in just about every movie she's ever been in, but especially when she was just breaking into the biz, her hair was incredible.

Remember Darryl Hannah's super long locks? I loved her in that mermaid movie, what was it...Splash! Plus, she had some curl to hers (not a lot but some) so it made me wonder if I could have long mermaid hair like that.

And another one were the uber-curls of Deanna Troi from Star Trek: The Next Generation. Now that girl knew how to work her curls! LOL I know that she was wearing wigs or extensions most of the time, but it looked real so there ya go. :D

And as far as Crystal Gayle, I never really saw her hair until I had already decided to grow it long the second time, and I honestly felt hers was *too* long for me to aspire to want. Yep, you heard that. I can't imagine having hair so long it drags the ground. I love long hair, always have, but once it's taller than your body it's too impractical for my taste. I like to look at it, but I wouldn't want to have it that long. Flog me, I know I'm bad. :wink:

Speedy, who is getting the urge to watch the Wars trilogy again...

CurlyBrunette
January 17th, 2005, 08:05 PM
Lol I wish there was a light brown in there amongst the very long golden and dark shades of the LotR characters. Hobbits do, but theirs tends to be shorter. ;)

I forgot to add this in my previous post but Samwise Gamgee's wife Rosie, had long curly hair! I loved it, perfect curls :inlove:

angelic
January 17th, 2005, 08:13 PM
The long hair inspirations that I had when I was younger was Crystal Gayle (loved her on the Muppet's ;)), and my junior high school art teacher who had straight naturally blonde classic length hair. I also had a high school friend (from 13 years old on) with lovely brown hair to her tailbone. I used to tell her that one day I would have longer hair than her. At her wedding a couple of years after graduation I was able to show her that I finally did have longer hair!

Angela

cortese
January 17th, 2005, 09:36 PM
Cher, because she had wonderful DARK hair instead of the blonde that allgirls had to have when I was little. Everyone had to look like Marcia Brady when I was a kid, and Cher -- like me -- was long, skinny, and dark with long features and a long nose. I still like her. Smart, funny, forthright, and a great attitude.

Bandia Rua
January 17th, 2005, 11:01 PM
But for my idols now, of course I don't have to look far because of all you lovely ladies! But I also look at my pics of my hair before and KICK myself for being rebelious!

I hear ya! The Hair here is fantastic and great motivation as well...as for kicking myself....My hair was well past classic when I was a girl, then I chopped it at about 10 or 11 years old... seems like its been an eternity of 'intending' to grow it long again, and always falling off the wagon for some new style that looked so cute on someone else but is eithere 1)wretched on me, and/or 2) so bloomin hard to get to look like its supposed to each and every time.

my hair idols... well I have to say it... Crystal Gayle.... and for a time when I was a kid... Brook Shields had fairly long hair that I adored. Mostly the main image of long hair that stirs in my mind is of a woman that was on the trip to ireland I took back in 99 ... her and I shared rooms a couple times during the trip and I used to marvel at her hair ...it was SO long that not only did it sweep the floor when it was left down, BUT it ALSO sweapt the floor when it was braided too! she would take the braid and then knot the braid about 4 times to keep it from dragging the ground as she walked...oh!

There were two times just after chopping my hair Super short that I wanted to cry for what Id done.... 1) when I saw Ever After with Drew Barrymoore and saw all the lovely updos in that movie, and most deffinately without a doubt seeing my room mates hair on my first trip to Ireland...oh god.... talk about realizing just how short your hair really is... eegads...I almost want to cry now...lol

Also, Im an avid reader of all things fantasy and fairy tale-ish and as crazy as it sounds... I really feel like I wasnt meant to be born in this era.... :rolleyes: I should have been born much much further back...ah well...

Blessings!
Laurie

willowcandra
January 17th, 2005, 11:30 PM
heidi w wrote......

And there's tons of poetry and other musical references to hair including the one of Shakespeare's sonnet #130
My mistress' eyes are nothing like the sun;
Coral is far more red than her lips' red;
If snow be white, why then her breasts are dun;
If hairs be wires, black wires grow on her head.
I have seen roses damasked, red and white,
But no such roses see I in her cheeks;
And in some perfumes is there more delight
Than in the breath that from my mistress reeks.
I love to hear her speak, yet well I know
That music hath a far more pleasing sound;
I grant I never saw a goddess go;
My mistress when she walks treads on the ground.
And yet, by heaven, I think my love as rare
As any she belied with false compare."

Now that's a beautiful woman, and who wouldn't want to receive this poem from her beloved??

lol not being funny but if my husband told me i had dull skin wirey hair, bad breath and an irritating voice i think i would go mental and just because he said he loved me despite all these imperfections that would not make it ok. lol :grin:

veil
January 18th, 2005, 12:38 AM
Well I am seriously loving reading all your stories, it would seem there is quiet a nostelgic part of us all that has had a longstanding love for long hair.....thankyou all for sharing. And might I say there are some pretty impressive pics too! (being new here, I find myself sighing freqently with adoration)
I have had similar experiences, I was facinated with Crystal Gail's hair...to be truthful, I could'nt remember a single song of hers...I would just sit infront of the t.v mesmorised by her hair ....and yeah...she so rocked on the muppets! I always noticed long hair as far back as I can remember, my aunt wore her dark hair very long, perhaps thigh length...I cant remember that well....I thought she was the most beautiful woman in the world when I meet her at age three, I have often wondered if this experience was the first to set me on my path of hair obsession. I too have had a love of all era's of humanity...except the modern, and often find myself swooning over old stories, art, movies etc. If I come across a picture of someone with healthy long hair, I literally swoon a little....and the longer the hair....the greater the swoon! ( I have seen someone in real life once with plaited pigtails that reached her calves....I could not move, breathe or speak....the poor woman must have thought me quiet mad!) It is a strange reaction in some ways, still....I am sure you all understand....we obviously equate hair with beauty I suppose. Perhaps we are all true romantics at heart...(in the psycological sense rather than emotional)

Ninika
January 18th, 2005, 01:05 AM
All my hair idols (if that is indeed the correct name for people whose hair I sometimes drool over) are movie characters. Though I know perfectly well most of them are just wearing wigs/extensions they still make me go :shocked:

Already mentioned: Arwen, Eowyn
The Liv Tyler character from Plunkett & MacLeane
Mary Elizabeth Mastrantonio as Marian in Robin Hood
Sophie Marceau as Princess in Braveheart
Jessica Lange as Mary in Rob Roy

Lady Godiva
January 18th, 2005, 05:28 AM
No real hair idol, although Crystal Gayle's hair certainly would top my list, if I had one. I wanted super long hair way before I ever heard of her, though. Two inspirations in my life were my mother, when her hair was waist length years and years ago, and her friend Celeste, whose thick, wavy hair could be braided with no tie off at the end, and it would stay braided. That really impressed me.

I'm with Cortese admiring Cher for all the reasons Cortese wrote about. I can't remember how many times witnessing boys and guys swooning over some girl, just to add "...and she's blonde, too!" as if that increased her value (apparently it did to those insensitive buffoons).

I'm also dead set against Rapunzel, who could never possibly be any sort of idol nor inspiration to me. She's too stupid, would rather remain a prisoner than cut her hair, tie it to a bedpost, and free herself. No... she would wait an eternity for some man to come save her. Sorry, but even as a small child, I could see through such nonsense and couldn't admire her.

Give me the real Lady Godiva anytime!

Rob Dehlinger
January 18th, 2005, 05:41 AM
Hi!

Wanted hair past my waist since I was 12 (Not very macho, I guess?) and loved long hair on my classmates (female) and hated it when they cut it.

Lesseee here...Crystal Gayle, Cher, Juice Newton, Karen carpenter (Before she cut it), Mary Crosby AND of course since I came here:

JennE, Denise, Heidi, Sunsailing, Bruin, and Beatnik Guy (many others, perhaps all of you???)

Much love,

Rob Dehlinger 8)

Stevy
January 18th, 2005, 06:00 AM
Remember Darryl Hannah's super long locks? I loved her in that mermaid movie, what was it...Splash! Plus, she had some curl to hers (not a lot but some) so it made me wonder if I could have long mermaid hair like that.

Oh, my, yes! I loved Darryl Hannah's hair in Splash, it was the first time I'd seen long hair on screen that looked like it had never been cut. I spent years trying to get my hair to wave like that.

Denise
January 18th, 2005, 06:16 AM
Lily Munster! :rockerdud

Denise

woodlandnymph
January 18th, 2005, 06:36 AM
-My mom
-Mortica Addams
-Winnie - from the "Wonder Years"
-Jane Seymour - in an old Battlestar Galactica episode
-Angelina Jolie - Cyborg II
-An art professor at my university - she had the most gorgeous thick dark brown 1c type hair that was just past her waist, and her length was subtly peppered with gray...I was in awe the first time I saw her.
-A cashier at my local grocery store. She too has straight dark brown [with some gray] waistlength hair. She always has it down, and it looks amazing.

Accountessa
January 18th, 2005, 07:05 AM
My Lobotomizer....errr, therapist. She is in her 50s and has a braid to her butt. I've never seen it unbraided, but it looks like it would be straight and fine.

bookwyrm
January 18th, 2005, 07:08 AM
Absolutely and without a doubt Cher! When I was a kid I would watch the Sonny & Cher Show just to admire her long dark hair. I just thought she was the most beautiful thing.

I also loved how Marcia Brady flipped her hair around. Marcia, Marcia, Marcia!

Recently, the person who made me think once again about growing my hair really long was Julianne Moore in the movie The Forgotten. Her hair color is almost identical to my oldest daughter's and it's pretty long in that movie. I remembered her a few years ago with shorter hair and thought, wow, if she can do that maybe I can too!

I always notice celebrities' hair, especially if they grow it out or cut it short.

bradio
January 18th, 2005, 07:11 AM
Fabio,but I Always Thought Carrot Top Should Have Grown It Out Longer.

Jaynyne
January 18th, 2005, 07:17 AM
:arrow: My mom (classic)

:arrow: My best friend's mom (classic)

:arrow: My best friend's great-grandma (loooong grey braid)

:arrow: Cher - I never missed the TV show!

:arrow: Alternately Robert Plant and Roger Daltrey -- I wanted their curls!

When I a very young girl watching the news, I thought they were referencing Cher when the financial/stock reporter would discuss the number of "shares" traded that day. I thought everyone loved Cher as much as I did! :silly:

I, too, liked Half-Pint's braids, though never considered her hair an inspiration.

Piperdiva
January 18th, 2005, 07:25 AM
As a kid, sleeping beauty
teen: robert plant :inlove:
now: the other piper :wink: hollie marie combs

Morticia
January 18th, 2005, 07:29 AM
Zhang Ziyi

Natchen13

Fia
January 18th, 2005, 08:07 AM
My strongest memory of really long hair and perhaps the one that inspired me to get growing many years later was a colleague of my mom. I must have been around six/seven years old - can't remember her name but certainly her hair.

Dark golden blonde; thick, thick, thick and wavy - think Dianyla or Dancingbarefoot and perhaps a little more; loose it was around classic, she usually kept it in one single braid down her back. My first impression was of a princess - I even think I called her "princess" when we met.

Thanks for bringing back old memories! :smile:

VanillaTresses
January 18th, 2005, 06:01 PM
Fiona Apple's lovely long locks inspired me to start growing. Not to mention all of the gals in my ballet class that had super long hair- man was I ever jealous! :rolleyes:

Rain
January 18th, 2005, 06:07 PM
I'm also dead set against Rapunzel, who could never possibly be any sort of idol nor inspiration to me. She's too stupid, would rather remain a prisoner than cut her hair, tie it to a bedpost, and free herself. No... she would wait an eternity for some man to come save her. Sorry, but even as a small child, I could see through such nonsense and couldn't admire her.

I didn't want to be her. I just wanted the hair! :lol:

Teacherbear
January 18th, 2005, 06:18 PM
Cher, because she had wonderful DARK hair instead of the blonde that allgirls had to have when I was little.

OMG Cher! How could I forget CHER!!! :inlove: :love: :inlove:

Jaynyne
January 26th, 2005, 06:16 PM
Bumping this because I just remembered someone else whose hair I greatly admired:

Khrystyne Haje

She was the red head with long curly hair on the TV show Head of the Class in the late 80s. I only tuned into the show to see her lovely hair. I just saw her on a TV commercial last night and all the hair longing came flooding back :silly:

Veronique2046
January 26th, 2005, 06:30 PM
I'm with you Woodlandnymph! I loved Mortica Addams' hair!

Actually, I loved anyone on tv I saw as a kid who had either long jet-black/blue-black hair, or long flaming red/fiery hair. And I remember watching Labyrinth a lot as a kid and feeling so envious of Jennifer Connelly.

Plus, once I started coming here I was inspired to start growing it out after seeing all this lovely long hair on LHC!!!

:)

hairbrain
January 26th, 2005, 06:37 PM
All the Disney Princesses:
Ariel
Mulan
Cinderella
Jasmine
Belle
Pocahontas
:lol:

IRL: my best friend, whos slacking on her posting here, :rolleyes: Loveisinthehair...

Rain
January 26th, 2005, 06:55 PM
Bumping this because I just remembered someone else whose hair I greatly admired:

Khrystyne Haje

She was the red head with long curly hair on the TV show Head of the Class in the late 80s. I only tuned into the show to see her lovely hair. I just saw her on a TV commercial last night and all the hair longing came flooding back :silly:

I loved her hair too! Also, Andie McDowell's and Sara Gilbert's when she wore it curly on Roseanne.

mestillaqt
January 27th, 2005, 12:09 AM
I second Ariel from Little Mermaid and when I was around 15 I had a subcription for 17 magazine well one issue had Milla Jovovich who had verrrrrry long braid/waveish hair and I was totally struck w/ envy. I didn't think I could ever have patience to grow my hair that long (around tail bone length I think)but it was soooo pretty to admire...and a model I saw in another fashion mag. Samantha Zogg? Beautiful super long blonde tresses around the same length....it's no surprise I'm aiming for tail bone length to start... Oh and most recent Jane seymour and Joy Bisco

C_Bookworm
January 27th, 2005, 02:33 PM
I absolutely love all of the hair from the Lord of the Rings movies, Liv Tyler's the most.
I think my current favorite is Emmy Rossum from Phantom of the Opera because she always has her hair curly, and it looks so romantic. We're the same as far as hair color/type, and it's really given me some great ideas I'd like to try, plus i know how m ahir would look grown out several more inches!

Earth Mother
January 28th, 2005, 06:19 AM
Let's see ... I had boy-short hair until the fourth grade, when I grew it to about shoulder length and kept it there until I was in high school, except for a brief stint around BSL in junior high.

I started growing it first off just because my boyfriend liked it, but later I started to enjoy it for myself.

I have several hair idols -- Murron, Mel Gibson's girlfriend in Braveheart, Angelina Jolie in Tomb Raider, not to mention several girls back in high school who had the most gorgeous waist-length hair. It just looked so feminine and unique. Plus shorter hair tends to mushroom on me.

Quirky
January 28th, 2005, 08:37 AM

Khrystyne Haje

Oh, she had wonderful hair! I watched that show just to drool over her hair.

I always liked Crystal Gale's hair too. Another person whose hair I loved was Kim Richards from the Witch Mountain movies. What is so funny is that I had long hair growing up and I loved everyone elses long hair but did not appreciate mine.

I loved Cher growing up too.

Regarding previous posts about blonde hair-I hated my blonde hair and never found that anyone that I interacted with thought it was "Superior" in any way. In fact, in most cases, it was treated as inferior. What is so funny about life is that I had blonde hair growing up but I would have done anything to have black hair. If I were a kid now, I would have definitely dyed my hair dark. My naturally blonde niece starting dying her hair brown in eighth grade. It is all about perception, isn't it?

Elle
January 29th, 2005, 02:14 AM
I have two older sisters and when they were in their teens (and then well into their twenties) they both had long hair, probably somewhere around tailbone length. I always loved it and couldn't wait until I got older to grow mine.

My hair has been long for years. I never did like short hair. But then, once I started coming to these long hair boards a few years ago, I saw a picture of a woman with beautiful, healthy mid-thigh hair, I knew I wanted to grow my hair longer. Before that, my hair was never longer than tailbone.

nastasska
January 29th, 2005, 05:04 AM
I was(and still am) very fickle. I've just always loved long hair although that did not stop me from having haircuts :twisted: so I remember liking Crystal Gale's hair on the muppet show and Princess Aura(Ornella Muti) in Flash Gordon :silly:

Raven Bloom
January 29th, 2005, 07:40 AM
Even though he has short hair, I love Orlando Bloom's curly hair! :cloud9:

Volkswillow
January 31st, 2005, 07:43 AM
It's just a recent one, not someone I've adored since I was a Kid, but Jenifer Garners hair in Elektra is awesome. Pretty much exactly the length I want to go for eventually and those bangs work so well on her.
And the outfit she got to wear *drools* I wish I could look that good in clothes fron the childrens section!!

http://www.imdb.com/gallery/ss/0357277/Ss/0357277/E-85.jpg?path=gallery&path_key=0357277

natural one
January 31st, 2005, 08:32 AM
growing up my hair idol was my best friend. she had the thickest, longest hair i'd ever seen in person (to her waist). her mom was kind of traditional and wouldn't let her cut her hair. she always got all the attention when we hung out, her mom fussing over her hair, braiding it, and when i slept over her mom would sit with us and brush it all out before bed. we were just young, and i was jealous.

i wanted long hair, but my mom wouldn't let me. she wanted me to have a pixie cut (!), saying it suited my (then babyfine) hair more. plus, i was a tomboy and would never have probably taken care of it, but all i knew then was that i was determined to grow it out as soon as i got old enough to make my own decisions.

added to the mix, was that my mom decided when i was in, oh, seventh grade, that she was going to grow hers out. she'd seen someone with beautiful long hair and was inspired. we made a kind of informal competition out of who could get theirs to their mid-back first. neither of us got anywhere till i found this board a couple of years ago. since then, i've tried to teach her about cwc, etc, but she's not interested. i adopted many new habits. result? my hair is past mid-back, and she just got a pixie. :grin: