Google

Web forums.longhaircommunity.com

View Full Version : Ph normalizing lotion - for hard water?

Axium
April 11th, 2003, 07:09 AM
I picked this up at Sally's yesterday. It's Wella Regenal Instant PH normalizing lotion. It's for stopping oxidation on chemical processes. Apply to clean, towel-dried hair and leave on for two minutes, rinse.
What do you all think of using this either/or before/after washing and conditioning?
I've read that GM uses something to adjust the ph level on hair before he shampoos it and does the treatment. Think it might be something like this?
Very interested but of course a little hesitant to put this stuff on my hair.
Thoughts?
Ingredients:
water, stearyl alcohol, petrolatum, cetrimonium chloride, glyceryl stearate, glyoxylic acid, methylparaben, fragrance.

DweamGoiL
April 11th, 2003, 07:20 AM
but what is it supposed to do? is it for colored treated hair to stop the discoloration or am I way off? lol

Elle
April 11th, 2003, 07:26 AM
but what is it supposed to do? is it for colored treated hair to stop the discoloration or am I way off? lol

I was just going to ask this question... :D

KT
April 11th, 2003, 07:28 AM
If all it is supposed to do is normalise pH from hard alkali water back to neutral/slightly acidic, then it would probably be cheaper to just use a vinegar rinse.

Is it supposed to do anything else?

Axium
April 11th, 2003, 07:36 AM
"A one-of-a-kind formula that helps stop the oxidations process after lightening, tinting, permanent waving or relaxing. The unique combination of anti-oxidizing agents and low PH neutralizes peroxide, chemical residue and alkalinity and restores the natural PH balance to hair. Exclusive patented ingredient makes hair look and feel stronger. Smoothes the cuticale and evens porosity; leaves hair soft, shiny, and manageable."
whew!

euphrasyne
April 11th, 2003, 07:45 AM
I questioned dh (chemist who loves ph questions) about this, and here is what he had to say:

The lotion is not going to be either Acidic or Basic. Its going to
have components that will react with either Acids or bases to
neutalize which ever is present and make your hair return to a
neutral pH.

It should work with Hard Water. Hard water is usally a little bit
higher in pH than soft water probably running around 8.5 pH where
soft city water is usally around 7.5 pH. Might not do anything for
you except right when you finish coloring your hair though.
Probalby not reactive enough to work on the pH in water. Your hair
color is going to be a lot more reactive than just a regular shampo
and it could help set the color more by stopping the reaction at the
maximum point.

Hope this is helpful!

--Cheryl

Axium
April 11th, 2003, 07:58 AM
Thanks, that's great! I don't do any chemical processes on my hair, however, our pH is 9.5!! Could you please ask your chem. about that ;) and whether it would be best to use it before and/or after? Thanks!

euphrasyne
April 11th, 2003, 08:51 AM
Asked dh when to use, and he replied:
Probably after conditioning. If the pH of the water is 9.5 that is
pretty basic. The stabilizer would help keep the basic water from
destroying the effects of the conditioner.

--Cheryl

Axium
April 11th, 2003, 09:21 AM
This is VERY exciting! I can't wait to try it! Thank you for checking this out! I hope more peeps will weigh in on this over the day, I'm really jazzed about this. Could be the missing link! Esp. with the base hard water, then the acidic vinegar rinses I do; this may even everything out again. Altho, the main rinse to get this lotion back out will be another good dose of the hard water. Followed, of course, by plenty of distilled water, perhaps some teas, then cold, cold distilled water. And yet - sigh - another two minute leave-in step to add to the routine...I'll just get a laptop and live in the bathroom!

Axium
April 12th, 2003, 06:37 PM
The results are in! I used it today - mixed it with my regular blend of conditioners and oils and applied it all after shampoo. I DO think it made a positive difference. Hair has great slip. I'm going to keep this as part of my routine! It's not that much, either, about the price of an Aussie conditioner.