Google

Web forums.longhaircommunity.com

View Full Version : Help! My hair won't rinse clean!

KatharineAnn
October 9th, 2004, 05:10 PM
Hi everyone, I haven't posted lately but I came running back cause I recently ran into a problem with my poor hair!

I have waist length hair that I wash every day due to greasiness, and I clarify weekly. In the past couple weeks, I haven't been able to get my hair to rinse clean. I've tried using no shampoo, changing shampoos, clarifying more often - I don't know what else to do! Could it have been a change in my water? My haircare routine had been working perfectly for me for months, then suddenly my hair got all sticky from some residue, presumably shampoo because it's only nearer my scalp. Has anyone ever experienced anything like this before? Could it possibly be due to a change in water quality? Our water tends to go from hard to soft from time to time, if that makes a difference...Well if anyone has any advice/experiences to share, thank you very much!

purplebubba
October 9th, 2004, 05:17 PM
Hi KatharineAnn, welcome back.

Have you tried ACV or other vinegar rinses? Or have you tried Baking Soda?

KatharineAnn
October 9th, 2004, 05:35 PM
No, I haven't tried ACV, I wanted to but I had trouble finding some! XD Do you believe a vinegar rinse would solve this problem? Just to clarify, it happened one day and has been like this ever since. It's not as if it was building slowly over time...just one day it was good, the next it wasn't. Thanks!

purplebubba
October 9th, 2004, 06:25 PM
I hope it will work, it won't hurt to try unless your skin doesn't like it. Some people do break out in rashes from ACV or other Vinegars. My advice would be to start out with a small amount of vinegar. My first time I told my mom to get me 1/4 cup of vinegar in a 4 cup measuring cup. I then filled it the rest of the way with water. I would start out with that amount first and then add more vinegar / less water the next wash. In other words change the ratios. Always use 4 cups of liquid but how much of each is what you change.

My second time I just used an empty conditioner bottle that holds 15 oz of product. I put about an inch of vinegar in it and the rest was water. So it wasn't the 4 cups of liquid but it was still little vinegar and lots water.

Hope that's not confusing. :)

Ali
October 9th, 2004, 06:56 PM
Hiya...

I agree with robert... if my hair is feeling wierd, the first thing I do is clarify.

If you're having trouble getting ACV, regular vinegar is fine.

Baking Soda is another great way to clarify.. I mix a tablespoon or so in a cup with some water and a gentle shampoo and lather my hair gently. I use a good conditioner or treatment afterwards to make sure I replace the oils and stuff I've removed. I've used this to fix problems like you describe in the past, often as a result of trying a new styling product like a wax/hairspray gel.

HTH!

Ali

purplebubba
October 9th, 2004, 07:02 PM
Hiya...

I agree with robert... if my hair is feeling wierd, the first thing I do is clarify.

If you're having trouble getting ACV, regular vinegar is fine.

Baking Soda is another great way to clarify.. I mix a tablespoon or so in a cup with some water and a gentle shampoo and lather my hair well. I use a good conditioner or treatment afterwards to make sure I replace the oils and stuff I've removed. I've used this to fix problems like you describe in the past, often as a result of trying a new styling product like a wax/hairspray gel.

HTH!

Ali

Yeah what she said ;)

The first time I used regular vinegar / white the second time was ACV.

At my school baking soda & shampoo was often used if a client asked for a perm because it would strip most hair sprays or build up from the hair. Otherwise you'll end up with a bad perm because the product can't penetrate.
If you do try baking soda, I'd suggest trying to sift it first so that it's not as gritty. When I tried it I think I used too much and it not only felt rough, like sand, my hair was kinda dry afterward. It might have just been because it was clean though.

Just start out in small amounts and you'll be ok. Except in cases of rashes.

GoldenTresses
October 9th, 2004, 09:14 PM
Yes, ditto. I have always heard for good results from mild vinegar rinses. I hope this helps!

God bless!

Gloria

1Cr 11:15 But if a woman have long hair, it is a glory to her:

God's Simple Plan of Salvation (http://www.godssimpleplan.org/gsps-english-print.html)

Chamomile betty
October 10th, 2004, 08:42 AM
I wash every day also due to greasyness and just because my scalp and hair likes it.
When my hair wont rinse clean and has more build up than a good clarifying shampoo can get rid of I do an Apple Cider Vinigar rinse.
One average I do this about every 2 months. I'll shampoo, ACV and let that sit for about 2-4 mins, rinse then apply conditioner and let that sit, and a final long rinse to make sure everything rinses out good.
Also, keep rotating those products.

HTH
Angel Hugs and Love

KatharineAnn
October 10th, 2004, 03:50 PM
Thanks for the advice, guys! I just bought some ACV to use at the store today, so I'll try that tomorrow. Hope it works!

Thanks again! :rockerdud

Gman
October 11th, 2004, 07:00 AM
The best idea is to go to Rapunzels in Columbus, a GM affiliate. Tell Dave and Darlene, Bill in Texas said hello

Gman
October 11th, 2004, 07:08 AM
If you are indeed shampooing everyday with waist length hair, you are driving your scalp crazy. You ave drying the scalp out badly, so of course you are producing more oil as a natural protection for the scalp. Like washing your face with soap, you wake up with a very oily face. Brush that oil down the length of your hair every morning. That is why the oil it there, to help moisturize your hair. Could indeed be more complex than that. Dave and Darlene can help you. Good luck

hipjazz
October 11th, 2004, 07:16 AM
I'm going to be rebellious and vote that you check your water. Every time I rinse with soft water, I come away thinking "there must still be soap in there somewhere...!!!"--in my hair, on my skin, it feel slimy and not quite clean. So...has your water changed?

KatharineAnn
October 29th, 2004, 09:04 AM
Thanks to everyone who replied! I know it's been a while, and I've been trying to find a solution the whole time!

Well, I've found out that it is definitely not the water. I moved to a new house, and my hair is still disgusting. I tried the apple cider vinegar rinses twice - no luck. I have trouble believing that it's really grease in my hair because my hair will look greasy the MINUTE it dries. In fact a lot of the hair around the scalp will stay hard and wet-like forever - it never 'dries'. the length of my hair is pretty normal, but the top is so filled with crap it looks greasy AND frizzy at the same time - it's driving me crazy!! I also have tried not shampooing my hair as much, but all that accomplishes is making it look even WORSE!! It falls so flat on my head that it looks weird because my hair is very curly and full, so the length is all full and it falling flat against my head looks very strange O.O My hair used to be so beautiful and now it looks terrible every day!! Does anyone have any other suggestions?? Thanks :flower:

Karen
October 29th, 2004, 09:15 AM
baking soda is my second suggestion

KatharineAnn
October 29th, 2004, 09:31 AM
baking soda is my second suggestion

My question is, if clarifying with vinegar can't get it out, is baking soda stronger? Obviously whatever is in my hair does not want to come out. It is as if it just somehow got in there one day and hasnt left since ;; THis is making my scalp very itchy from having sticky hair rubbing against it all the time and is actually causing me physical discomfort :(

Karen
October 29th, 2004, 09:57 AM
yes, baking soda can be more effective because the abrasive nature of baking soda can slough the stuff of your hair and scalp.
(i don't think stronger is exactly the right word.)

CurlyBrunette
October 29th, 2004, 12:15 PM
If the baking soda doesnt work Nexxus makes a product called ALOE RID that removes gunk from your hair.