Google

Web forums.longhaircommunity.com

View Full Version : Gel builder for henna application...

Flaxen
April 1st, 2003, 08:35 PM
Madeleine's translation for the gel builder was sodium polyacrylate. Sodium polyacrylate is a polymer that many people are probably already familiar with (especially the moms and dads!) It is the crystalline material embedded in baby diapers to make them super absorbant! Sometimes there are small globs of the gel it makes on a baby's bottom when a diaper is changed.

Another place one can find sodium polyacrylate is at the garden center. :shock: Yep, it's mixed with potting soil to help it hold water so the plant doesn't need to be watered as often. There exists also potassium based crystals which are actually better for the plants.

As with many synthetic substances, there is some controversy over the safety of this substance in contact with the skin. It is one of the reasons people object to disposable diapers.

Well, that's the chemistry lesson for today.:scholar:

Elle
April 1st, 2003, 08:40 PM
Flaxen... You're always so knowledgeable! :D

That was interesting. I never knew that. :) Now we know where to go if we ever get really desperate to gel our henna, huh? Blech... :D Obsessed we may be, but I don't think we're that crazy. ;)

Mariah
April 1st, 2003, 08:50 PM
Thank you!! that was so informative!!! I saw Britta's site a long time ago and I could never figure out what the gel-builder was, not to mention where to buy it...

Very cool info!!

Flaxen
April 1st, 2003, 08:54 PM
Flaxen... You're always so knowledgeable! :D

That was interesting. I never knew that. :) Now we know where to go if we ever get really desperate to gel our henna, huh? Blech... :D Obsessed we may be, but I don't think we're that crazy. ;)

Thanks, Elle- I'm thrilled to be able to help where I can.:D I've actually got some info about the knitting with hair topic, too, but I've got to unearth the scanner to include some pics.

As far as the henna-ing goes, I thought the Knox gelatin idea was brilliantly creative!

Anne
April 1st, 2003, 09:37 PM
Hmmm...well...I think I'll be skipping the gel method :shock:

I'm so glad for your post Flaxen! Thanks!

Madeleine
April 2nd, 2003, 02:04 AM
Oh Flaxen, thanks - that's interesting information!
I'm not tempted to try the gel method cause I'm happy with my henna routine the way it is, but I wouldn't be scared to use that stuff either. If it's considered safe to come into contact with babies' sensitive skin every day for years (yes, I know there is a controversy about that, but I'd say it generally is considered "safe" or it wouldn't be allowed, even though there may be better options), then I guess it won't do any harm on a adult's scalp for a few hours every couple of months.

Just IMHO of course :)