Google

Web forums.longhaircommunity.com

View Full Version : Biotin 5000 mcg?

curls2grow
September 23rd, 2004, 04:39 PM
Does anyone take biotin in the amount of 5000 mcg per day? If you do, do you take it all at once or at differnet times during the day?

I am thinking of doubling my dose of biotin from 2500 to 5000 per day (that would be 2 small capsules). Hoping that it will increase hair growth even more.

I will really appreciate your replies

joyinc
September 23rd, 2004, 04:42 PM
i take about 3000 a day (when i remember to), but i havent noticed much growth yet... i split mine up, some in the morning and some at night... i guess it doesnt matter if you take too much, since you'll just pee it out, but it seems like such a waste!

Glendora
September 23rd, 2004, 05:03 PM
I take 3000 a day, too. No matter what, biotin isn't a waste. It helps you metabolize protein.

My hair grew almost an inch last month, but then again, I had never measured before so I don't know if it normally grows that fast. One good tip is to look at your nails. If you notice that your nails are growing better and/or stronger, then the biotin is probably doing its job. GL to you both!

froglet
September 23rd, 2004, 05:13 PM
I take 5000 mcg a day, all at once. I take 2 of the GNC 2500's at night before I go to sleep. I'm not sure if it helps with my hair growth (I average 1/2 inch a month), but ever since I started taking the biotin my nails are growing like mad!

misspriss
September 23rd, 2004, 10:17 PM
back when I took it regularly, I took two 5000mcg pills, one at lunch or dinner, and one before bed, for a total of 10,000mcg. I did have more growth, but for some reason I am not taking them anymore....

brunettprincess
September 24th, 2004, 08:36 AM
i take 4000 mcg a day- 1000 mcg each at breakfast, lunch, dinner, and bedtime.

i started with just 2000 and then moved it up to 5000. then i ran out. after i dropped it down to 2000, my nails really noticed it and started breaking again, so i assumed that meant my hair liked the higher amount too.
i want to go back up to 5000, but i dont know where to fit it in yet in my schedule. also, if 4000 works just as well, then ill stay here. i go through bottles of biotin like candy! i was considering switching over to a 5000 biotin pill instead of the 1000 pills. im interested to know if there is any benefit to taking them dispersed as well.

Catia
September 24th, 2004, 09:52 AM
Now brand carries biotin in a single 5000mcg pill, that's what my healthfood store carries, so that's what I take(it's a veggie cap too if anyone is interested) Generally it is considered a good idea to take large amounts of anything in divided doses for better assimilation though. :wink:

kissedbyfyre
September 24th, 2004, 11:26 AM
I take 4000. Usually 2 small pills in the morning, 2 small pills at night. Sometimes I'll take 4 all together. I've beey VERY forgetful with my pills recently. :(

When I stopped taking things though, due to forgetfulness, my nails started their old pealing routine again. If anything my nails really seem to like the stuff. My skin really improved as well. My hair also seems to have grown like a weed since I've started. I don't have any offical measurments (I stopped measuring after being stuck at 29" for what seemed like AGES) but if I compaire photos, I've gained a good 4 inches within the past few months.

curls2grow
September 26th, 2004, 01:28 PM
Went for my dusting and color/highlights yesterday. First thing my stylist said was how much my hair had grown -- 6 weeks since my last visit and my roots were 1" long, so I'm just a bit over the 1/2" per month average at this point. First 3 of the 6 weeks was spent using GNC UltraNourishair; last 3 weeks was just Biotin 2500 mcg. This morning I am starting to take 2 biotin, so I will try 5000 mcg per day for a while. I am going to start with taking them both in the morning, so I don't have to worry about forgetting the nigttime one.

A little off-topic -- as my stylist was trimming the ends, I got worried and said that I felt like she was trimming so much! She is great -- she told me to look on the floor and I could barely see any hair! She was trimming all over, but not taking much off at all.

gabiwags
September 26th, 2004, 02:00 PM
Now brand carries biotin in a single 5000mcg pill, that's what my healthfood store carries, so that's what I take(it's a veggie cap too if anyone is interested) Generally it is considered a good idea to take large amounts of anything in divided doses for better assimilation though. :wink:

Yup - the irritating thing is the one pill 5000 is much cheaper, I guess I'll go that route for awhile.

I'm not sure what it does for me but I do have great nails and the hair is at least growing the normal .5" right now, which I figure is good considering that I'm at an age when that might be wanting to slow.

Sometimes I think eating a really great diet would be cheaper :silly: ...g

Aeowen
September 26th, 2004, 06:25 PM
I take 5000 mcg, because that's the caplet "amount" that I bought. Is there a "safe" level of biotin that one should watch out for? I can't remember if it's a fat soluable or water soluable vitamin.

I love biotin - I give it to my horse too, and it's helping with his coat and hooves - which is what gave me the original idea to take it myself :smile:

natural one
September 26th, 2004, 06:34 PM
the course that i did mentions that raw egg whites inhibit biotin absorption. it mentions the cut-off for biotin intake at 60 mg, as opposed to mcg.
hope that helps.

Laur
September 26th, 2004, 09:16 PM
i'm guessing you guys don't have a problem with pimples then - if i take more than the biotin in my GNC UltraNourisHair then i look like pizza face within two days and it can take two weeks go go away. (i have pretty terrible acne sometimes... *grr*)

i was taking biotin at 4000 mcg and it really helped my growth but i couldn't stand the cystic acne. >.< so i dont take it anymore :twisted:

curls2grow
September 27th, 2004, 03:40 AM
I had more probs with acne on the GNC UltraNourishair, too. I've noticed it less with the biotin 2500 mcg dose (just started the 5000 mcg dose 2 days ago). I keep thinking I should go off the biotin altogether and just keep doing my usual multi-vit (to test the acne theory for myself), but the increased growth keeps me going back for more and just biting the bullet on the breakouts (which, I admit, are a PITA!) Maybe when most of my hair is just past shoulder length I will experiment with that...

Aeowen
September 27th, 2004, 06:39 AM
That's interesting - I've actually noticed fewer breakouts lately - but I'm not sure whether it's the vitamin routine, or the fact that I've been washing my face with the MM Fire shampoo (I'm not sure I like it on my hair, but the vinegar feels good on my face).

froglet
September 27th, 2004, 07:06 AM
For me, the biotin has not caused an increase in acne. But.... I have been on acne medication for years due to having pcos, one of the symptoms is acne. I recently switched from a traditional western oral acne (pcos) med to a combination of Retin-A & chinese herbals. Around the same time I started taking my hair vitamins, including biotin. My acne has still not come back and it's been 4 months. So.....thankfully, for me, it hasn't caused a problem. I'd hate to have to stop my hair vitamins!