Google

Web forums.longhaircommunity.com

View Full Version : How many strands of hair falls out daily

toolband
September 5th, 2004, 08:13 PM
I know 100 strands are suppose to fall out daily, but average how many strands of hair fall out for you.

Jinxy
September 5th, 2004, 08:18 PM
I've never counted before *makes note to keep track for the next couple of days* but I felt like I was going bald once. I was so bothered by the ball of hair that I have to get out of the shower drain everytime I washed it I asked my DH if he could see any bald spots. He laughed and said that I don't loose any more then normal but becuase it is so long it just looks really scarry. :blushing: :oops:

Jenn1
September 6th, 2004, 06:07 AM
Pretty minimal - I would guess that it has been no more than 15-20 daily at the most. I did notice last month there was a little more than that, my guess is, it is a seasonal thing??

DaveDecker
December 27th, 2005, 05:13 PM
I wash my hair once per week on Monday mornings. Yesterday I decided to count just how many strands I lost in the process. I was shocked! :shocked: The eventual tally was 172 strands(!), of which only about 10 were shorter than ~ 12 inches. An accounting of strands lost: 52 before (detangling), 22 in the shower (that I retrieved before they were washed away), and a whopping 98 during the comb-out! :blueeek: And, the fallout quantity seemed to be about average for my usual wash day. Now, I lose considerably fewer during the rest of the week (especially the day after washing), but still... the quantity lost yesterday is a bit alarming. :disbelief

At that rate, it's hard to imagine how my hair ever got to be so long. :ponder:

justgreen
December 27th, 2005, 05:32 PM
I don't lose very many hairs, maybe 25-30 every couple of days, and most of those are lost when i comb my hair right before showering/washing hair. I lose a minimal amount after showering, maybe 20.

kadje
December 27th, 2005, 05:44 PM
I've counted mine a few times in the past few weeks. Most days I lose between 75-100. One day I lost over 100 hairs. All of them are complete hairs with a tiny bit of sticky root bulb attached. I seem to lose more doing a CO but I have no idea why. I have about 2/3 of the hair volume I had when I was younger. I hope it doesn't get too much thinner. Some of my new white hairs are coarse but most are extremely fine, almost invisible, so that may account for part of the thinning look.

Two days ago I showed my daughter how many hairs I lost during a shampoo. She was shocked.

Kristinn
December 27th, 2005, 05:58 PM
This is very interesting.

Maybe I should count sometime. I know that my hair is much thinner now than it was 5 or so years ago.

It seems like after I had a baby a ton of hair fell out.

hairobsession
December 27th, 2005, 06:07 PM
Very minimal. Let's see...

5 when I take out the hairtie of my ponytail
20 when I'm in the shower
10 just anywhere

So maybe 35, about?

merry
December 28th, 2005, 01:31 AM
I have always shed a lot, never counted them but I would be in the 100ish a day group.
It drives me mad, but has always happened no matter what I try.

Cassiopeia
December 28th, 2005, 04:36 AM
Not very much, I guess 30-40 every day.

Chase
December 28th, 2005, 09:00 AM
I know it seems like a lot when I round them up after my morning routine, but because they are so long it looks like many more than their really is.

Also I lose them throughout the day in combing, I would say about 50 per day.

Sara
December 28th, 2005, 09:31 AM
I never counted the shed hairs, but I would guess about 25-50. It still looks like an awful lot, and like Dave, I wonder how my hair ever got this long.

MariaAZ
December 28th, 2005, 10:09 AM
For me this question is pretty difficult to give a true answer. Although I've counted what got caught in the draintrap (between 30-100) and what I comb/brush out of my hair every day (between 50-80) I know I also shed when I'm not looking; one peek in the vacuum cleaner bears that one out. Because of occasional drain cleanings, I also know a quantity of hair gets past the drain screen and remain uncounted.

I think the best guesses I've been able to make are when I wear my hair up all day long and am less likely to lose hair without knowing it, and the last time I counted it was around 80/day.

StarShine
December 28th, 2005, 12:28 PM
Too many, far too many :( I'd never be able to count because I know I lose alot while my hair is down during the day. I lose about 20 in my daily shower, and probably 10 each time I comb my hair, which I do at least 3 times a day. I definitely lose 100, if not more.

Willswalk
December 28th, 2005, 12:42 PM
I tried counting one time, but gave up at around 130, and those were just the hairs lost when I combed it out. With that in mind I would say about 200 a wash day and less on the "dirty" days.

Kitty
December 28th, 2005, 12:53 PM
I lose the most on wash days, about 30 - 50 i would guess. On dirty days, probably only minimal like 10 - 20. Although I do go through periods where i will lose 100 per day which is alot for me. Thankfully those dont happen too often. My hair is thin enough!!

zule
December 28th, 2005, 01:40 PM
Kadje, my grays seem to be like yours. A few are coming in of medium texture, but most are quite fragile. I don't need to have any thinner hair than I already do. The women in my family generally keep pretty thick hair, so I'm going to be the exception, I think.

Dave, I don't recall how you wear your hair during the week. Is it always down? I seem to remember it wasn't. But you're washing your hair once a week. If this is the first time you've actually counted them, rather than estimate them, I don't think that's too bad for a once-a-week shampooer.

Figure that you're losing some no matter how you wear your hair. But that one day, spread out over seven, is only like 25/day. I mean, that's just not a whole lot. You're probably losing a lot on Mondays that would have dropped if you'd been washing daily, don't you think? Even if you're losing another 75/day--which I doubt--you're within the average.

I imagine I'd be shocked if I counted that many on one day, too. In fact, I'd be frantic! But in your case, it doesn't sound as though there's really anything to worry about.

Why don't you try counting on a Tuesday or Wednesday, too. Add a few in there for walking around and others lost that you don't catch. I'll bet it's very few.

Amraann
December 28th, 2005, 02:13 PM
I shudder to imagine..

Hello! Newbie here...

I know I lose tons of hair! I have never actually counted but I like the theory that as it grows longer it simply appears to be more:)

That makes sense plus even when my hair was shorter I shedded easily.

embee
December 28th, 2005, 03:05 PM
I've never counted. Since I'm a "brusher" I lose a good number that way. It looks like a lot because 36 inches of hair wadded up and wrapped around in the brush makes quite a mat of hair. Not so many in the shower itself, because I brush *really* well before washing. (I *hate* cleaning out the tub drain!)

I figure it's kinda like weighing myself each day - it could become compulsive and I really don't want to go there. ;) My hair doesn't feel any thinner than it did a few years ago, and it feels considerably thicker than it did many years ago. New elastics are taking the same number of twists to get snug - so I'm not going to worry about this. Though y'all are making me curious! :)

kimberlily
December 28th, 2005, 11:25 PM
Too many. I've never counted, but every time I wash I comb my hair out before getting in the shower *throw handful of hair in the trash*, then gather the hairs that are shed in the shower so they don't clog the drain *get out of shower and throw bigger handful of hair in the trash*. Then I comb my hair *throw away more hair* and put it up. If I don't put it up, I shed MORE hair still. I'd imagine it is in the neighbourhood of 150 hairs a day. Partly because I have a 4 month old baby, so I've got some postpartum shedding happening, and partly because I'm stressed right now. I also generally tend to shed a lot anyway. I can't win.

Amraann
December 29th, 2005, 09:05 PM
Kimberlilly

I want to say thank you for bringing up stress..
I forgot that could be a factor!

groque
December 29th, 2005, 09:11 PM
Since I started CO washings it has been about ten at the most. I love it.

SunCat
December 29th, 2005, 09:25 PM
On wash days I tend to loose more as I just started combing out my hair before washing it. The only other time I comb my hair is after washing it when it is wet. Wash days (every 3-4 days) I probably loose about 35 hairs and on non wash days about 10. I don't shed as much as I use to :grin:

ceci
December 30th, 2005, 05:37 AM
mostly 40-65 per day sometimes just under a 100 same on wash days.

weaver
December 30th, 2005, 06:40 AM
I shed about a 100 on a wash day, which is every other day. And I lose none on non-wash days since I don't comb, brush or detangle. So it averages out to be about 50 a day - not bad one would think. But with 2.25" ponytail I think I cannot afford 50 a day. I am working to reduce this number.

SimplyLonghair
December 30th, 2005, 02:35 PM
Well, I wanted to keep track if it for a few days, and I found that on wash days I lose 10-15 in the shower, 10 or so finger combing, maybe an additional 6-7 during the day. So a total of 26 to 33 or so. Not very many, and I know that the ones that I find only show up because of their length, and that they are darker with the henna. Before that they just sort of hid??!! The only way I found them was when my dogs had..... And I had to deal with the consequences.:evil:

DaveDecker
January 2nd, 2006, 12:28 PM
The day after I washed, the fallout strand count was 30. I didn't count them during subsequent days, but it seemed to increase a few days later.

I can conclude that my rate of fallout is higher than previously estimated - probably about 60 on an "average" day.

Yes, you too can grow your hair superlong, even if you lose an average of 60 strands per day. :grin:

embee
January 2nd, 2006, 06:35 PM
Well, ya'll got me curious so I counted a few brushings... and it came to about 25 per brushing. Most of these are complete hairs (little bump on the end) which is real shedding, not breakage. That sorta surprised and pleased me. It told me that my brushing is not breaking a lot of hairs.

That brings me to about 50 per day. Before I wash I'm sure it is a bit more, for my brushing is extra thorough then - trying to avoid tub drain cleanouts! ;)

gypsyinamorata
January 3rd, 2006, 12:24 PM
30 - 40...except if I eat chocolate...then I lose more the next day :(

Emeraude
January 3rd, 2006, 02:58 PM
3-5 when I wash, which is every day. Even when it was much longer, almost BSL, I lost less than 20 a day.

Black_Rose
January 4th, 2006, 12:42 AM
it used to fall a lot...by my standards because of my poor quality hair brush but now its fine..like probably 50 per day...

Emmy
January 4th, 2006, 01:01 AM
Since I started using MSM, the number of strands I loose each day has dropped dramatically.
Probably 15 per day now.

Emmy.

ScrimHazard
January 4th, 2006, 03:55 PM
There are some days when I lose sooo many I can barely stand it...I shed all over the house, the car, the bed...it drives my bf crazy. But when I actually tallied the hair loss for myself it was only about 50 which doesn't seem so bad.