Google

Web forums.longhaircommunity.com

View Full Version : Do I refrigerate oils?

Loretta
August 31st, 2004, 09:24 AM
Hi!

Do essential oils, jojoba oil and grapeseed oil need to be refrigerated after they are opened?

Thank you!

Loretta

Fia
August 31st, 2004, 09:31 AM
From what I've gathered:

- EO's, yes refrigerate the to keep them at full potency
- Jojoba, no need to as it's a very stable oil even when heated. If mixed with EO's I don't really know - maybe refrigerate just to be on the safe side.
- Grapeseed, no idea as I'm not familiar with the oil

/Fia

RedNCurly
August 31st, 2004, 01:23 PM
I heard you calling for me, I mean help :lol: , so here it is:
http://www.cedarvale.net/carrieroils.htm

joyinc
August 31st, 2004, 02:06 PM
shoot! i have to get my stuff in the fridge!

Loretta
August 31st, 2004, 03:45 PM
Thanks!

It looks like grape seed definitely needs to be refrigerated, but after doing a Google search, I found people who said never to refrigerate essential oils because it decreases their potency, and others who said always to refrigerate them so they keep their potency, so I'm really confused!

Loretta

CurlyBrunette
August 31st, 2004, 04:54 PM
I dont refrigerate any of my oils. I have jojoba, herbal hair oil blend, apricot kernel oil, and several EO's. I go through them so quickly that they would not have the time to go bad. :lol:

Glendora
August 31st, 2004, 07:52 PM
You should pretty much know when they go "bad" (rancidity) just by sniffing them. You will know the smell when you smell it! :puke: It's hard to describe but when you sniff & then pull back right away from the icky smell...that's rancidity.

Until then you're probably good to go. So if you've had oils sitting around unrefrigerated until now, but they still smell okay and don't look cloudy or "broken up", they're probably fine.

Sandylou
August 31st, 2004, 08:04 PM
My grapeseed just faintly smells a little off. Can I still use it? Is the smell due to bacteria or what?

seabear
September 1st, 2004, 04:46 AM
I keep my jojoba in the fridge to prevent rancidity. However, I don't use it on my hair anymore. Maybe I ought to put it on the swap board....