Google

Web forums.longhaircommunity.com

View Full Version : Crown Braid Success!

wonderlywroughte
August 8th, 2004, 04:38 PM
I finally, finally, finally did a decent crown braid on myself! I still have to work on taking the hair that's in the middle correctly..you shouldn't be able to see the part still there. :rolleyes: But anyway! Here is the one I did earlier today. It was the very first one that I actually finished and pinned, but its a little...bad.
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v205/wonderlywroughte/crappycrown.jpg

this is the one that I just did...yay! It actually looks decent! :grin: I love this updo. It doesn't take too long to do and its SO secure and balanced! I'm so excited to have finally learned it!
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v205/wonderlywroughte/goodcrown.jpg

Flaxen
August 8th, 2004, 04:43 PM
:hollie: Wonderly, that is beautimious!

dancingbarefoot
August 8th, 2004, 04:43 PM
That's great, wonderly, and I'm sooooo envious of your hair styling talent! :wink:

Is that a braid pinned to your head or a lace/French braid worked around in a circle?

wonderlywroughte
August 8th, 2004, 04:46 PM
Thank you Flaxen and Dancingbarefoot! It's a Dutch braid worked around in a circle, with the end pinned around too. So, its much more secure than just pinning a braid to your head because its actually pinning the braid to a braid that's braided to your head...uh. That sounds strange :grin: Anyway, its hard to see that its Dutch braided because the end part of the braid covered it all up. :grin: I don't know why my braid looks so huge. :bigeyes:

LisaJaney
August 8th, 2004, 05:15 PM
I tried to do that once, and ended up cussing under my breath and throwing things around the bathroom in a RAGE. Then, I felt GUILTY because it was a Sunday morning and I was trying to do that hairstyle for CHURCH.

Talk me through it. Do you section the head into four parts, or just start "to the right of front-and-center" and work from there? Leia tried to tell me, but I couldn't make heads or tails of it (sorry Leia) Good night nurse, I only HAVE four strands of hair on my whole freakin' head, you'd think this would be eaiser for me to do this than for someone with a buttload of hair like you. I HAVE to learn this style! Your hair looks MAGNIFICENT in that style, and you sure DO have a lot of hair! I would LOVE to do this, becuase maybe....just maybe....it'd make ME look like I finally have some hair! (dream on)

whatevergirl
August 8th, 2004, 05:28 PM
I tried to do that once, and ended up cussing under my breath and throwing things around the bathroom in a RAGE. Then, I felt GUILTY because it was a Sunday morning and I was trying to do that hairstyle for CHURCH.

Talk me through it. Do you section the head into four parts, or just start "to the right of front-and-center" and work from there? Leia tried to tell me, but I couldn't make heads or tails of it (sorry Leia) Good night nurse, I only HAVE four strands of hair on my whole freakin' head, you'd think this would be eaiser for me to do this than for someone with a buttload of hair like you. I HAVE to learn this style! Your hair looks MAGNIFICENT in that style, and you sure DO have a lot of hair! I would LOVE to do this, becuase maybe....just maybe....it'd make ME look like I finally have some hair! (dream on)

http://www.my-smileys.de/smileys1/laughing.gifL J...u crack me up ...http://www.my-smileys.de/smileys1/roflmao_2.gif

Wonderly- That is a beautiful crown braid...and I do mean B E A U T I F U L :flowers:

wonderlywroughte
August 8th, 2004, 05:45 PM
You know, I started explaning this and thought "wait a minute, this sounds ridiculous." So, I made a picture! Hopefully it will help! :grin: So, here goes. Please keep in mind that this is only my second time actually getting it to look sort of right. :grin: There's probably an easier way to do this.

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v205/wonderlywroughte/howtocrownbraid.jpg

1. Divide hair straight down the middle. I started with the right side of hair and worked around in a counter-clockwise fashion, so I braided the left side of the hair to keep it out of my way. Then I leaned over so that my hair was hanging straight down.

2. This is how I grabbed my first section to start Dutch braiding (since my was done with a Dutch braid.) The dotted line is just to show where the middle is...which is where you grab hair from in the center section. Anyway, I took a piece that was diagonally out from the crown. See? It was like a triangle. You're supposed to take larger sections of hair out from the outside track while you're braiding, so that it will coil around and make the circle. :grin:

3. Okay, so you're Dutch braiding along! Just as a note, unless you're quite adept at braiding upside down, you might want to practice that part. You'll be hanging over, braiding up against the grain on the back of your head. :bigeyes: I practiced on a barbie doll until I was good at braiding in all different directions, etc. :grin:

4. Okay. Now, this is where the tricky part starts. Around this area is where you'll need to undo the other section of your hair. But that's not the tricky part. After unloosing the other part of your hair, you have to reposition your hands/arms to continue braiding. Um..I really can't explain it too well. You have to first transfer all the strands you're holding to your right hand, and stand back up and flip all your hair back. Then you should be able to look in the mirror and see how to pick the strands up again to keep braiding. That's how I did.

5. Now, this side should be easier because you'll be braiding more in the manner you're used to, as if it was a regular French or Dutch braid on yourself. Once you get to the bottom, and there's no hair left, just finish out the braid. Then you continue to coil it around and pin it! :grin:

Okay! I hope that helps at least a little bit! :heart:

Thank you so much, Whatevergirl! :heart:

dancingbarefoot
August 8th, 2004, 05:58 PM
Great instructions, w!

I think I have them memorized by now, I just can't keep the hair I'm NOT working on out of my way. Nor can I keep the hair that I am working on from tangling in itself. Grrrr!

One of these days, I'll get it down....

Snow White
August 8th, 2004, 06:09 PM
It is absolutely gorgeous in your hair. I'm glad that you were finally able to accomplish a perfect one. :) I'll have to give it a try some time. I tried once but didn't do so well.

So, am I reading this right...you started at the back of your head (near your neck)? Also, did you braid your hair while it was wet or dry?

Honey Mane
August 8th, 2004, 06:26 PM
That looks wonderful, Wonderly! How much time did it take?

Elle
August 8th, 2004, 06:31 PM
Ohhh.. Woww! :grin: You did such a good job, Wonderly! :flower: You're one of the talented ones on the board I was talking about earlier!

Mop
August 8th, 2004, 08:16 PM
That looks absoultely majestic, Wonderly! Regal, with that big, fat, shiny braid in a perfect crown on your head. You could go ANYWHERE with that 'do and attract attention. Congratulations on mastering a difficult style.

LisaJaney
August 8th, 2004, 08:20 PM
Those instructions make good sense to me! I will try it again.....on a day when I'm not heading off to church, just in case I feel led to cuss like a sailor...... :blush: Thanks, Wonderly! I hope I can do it, and hope that I can get past the part you admitted was the toughest; the halfway point! Maybe if I tell myself that "it gets massively easier once you get past this hump", I can do it.....

Hugs and thanks!
LJ

CurlyBrunette
August 8th, 2004, 08:35 PM
Wonderly-Perfect! Just Perfect! All you need to do now is get yourself to a Renassiance Festival, you'll fit right in! I think there is one going on in Tuxedo, NY. I'll meet you there!

LJ-I am laughing so hard right now! I went into a rage the last time I tried a crown braid too! It was a tangled mess. Practice makes perfect I guess. I know that Wonderly has been practicing hard, and it shows. :flowers:

Whipit
August 9th, 2004, 01:53 AM
That looks AMAZING! I will have to keep practicing! :flower:

Gaijin
August 9th, 2004, 02:23 AM
How gorgeous! You look like a princess or queen.

LongRed
August 9th, 2004, 03:30 AM
OH WOWWWWWWW, and it's gorgeous too!!!
WOWIES!!! You've got sme thick hair!

seabear
August 9th, 2004, 03:36 AM
It's gorgeous, WW, all your practice really paid off!

flaming bunny
August 9th, 2004, 03:52 AM
your crown braid is so BEAUTIFUL ww!!!!! i want to try one....but i must admit im scared cos ive only really just mastered the french braid. i'll do it someday!

bravo and a :flower: for you and your fabulous crown braid!

Elspeth30
August 9th, 2004, 04:16 AM
That looks fantastic and looks wonderful on you. Congratulations!
It is a great well-balanced style. I love it even though it usually takes more than one try to get up well (that back part trips me up too - if anyone comes up with a great trick for that I will be psyched.)

wonderlywroughte
August 9th, 2004, 05:15 AM
Dancingbarefoot, I had problems with tangling too. I would have to verrry carefully separate out each section. :rolleyes:

Wishing4, yeah. I started out at the back of my head. I braided it dry, after combing it all out thoroughly (even though it tangled itself up again a few times. hehe.)

HoneyMane, it took me about 10-15 minutes to do. :grin:

LJ, just keep trying! I hope you can get it! :heart:

CurlyBrunette, funny you should mention! I'm actually going to the Pennsylvania one when it opens! I guess I know how to wear my hair now!

Elspeth30, yeah, I had to start over a few times because I would transfer the strands wrong at that point. :rolleyes: Sigh!

Thank you Elle, Mop, Whipit, Gaijin, Longred, Seabear, and Flaming Bunny! :heart:

Azhure
August 9th, 2004, 07:07 AM
Wonderly, that is beautiful! I can NEVER get a crown braid to look good in my hair. I always mess up when I try to switch hands on the other side of my head.

Your hair looks perfect!!! :flower:

Tresses
August 9th, 2004, 07:12 AM
That is gorgeous, WW! :grin: I just might get brave and try it. When the kids aren't around to hear Mommy screaming. :oops:

Moonshadow
August 9th, 2004, 07:21 AM
That's amazing Wonderly! I can barely manage a french braid. Is the PA Ren Faire you're talking about the one in Mount Hope? I'm trying to talk DH into going this year, maybe I'll see you there! :grin:

Artemisia
August 9th, 2004, 07:21 AM
That looks so awesome, Wonderly! :flower: I can't wait till my hair is long enough to try it!

nicolezoie
August 9th, 2004, 09:58 AM
Crown braids are NOT easy. I've managed to successfully complete one on myself maybe 4 times, and only two of those were what I considered to be perfect. Each time I did it, it took me about an hour to an hour and a half to complete. Bending partway over so my hair was hanging forward, I split my hair into four sections, braided each section partly to keep the hair separated and then tucked it into my shirt so they would not get in the way. Then as I commenced to crown braid, I counted how many plaits I made per section. I started from my left ear, went over the top of my head, then around the back, then wrapped the end braid around my head and pinned into place. In the end, the resulting part on the back of my head resembled a starburst.

My secret to getting my hair around without losing my place is I bought one of those braid-holder things that look like 4 plastic fingers with foam in between them. I tucked each section into that, grabbed a hand mirror to see where I left off, and switched sides. Coordination! aagh!

The next time I have the patience to accomplish this braid, I will take a picture. It looks absolutely stunning, and nearly always I leave it in for a few days.

Chameleon
August 9th, 2004, 10:03 AM
Wow, I'm impressed. You've given me inspiration to try this.

Heidi
August 9th, 2004, 10:12 AM
Wow! That's fantastic! You've got lots of patience!

harpgal
August 9th, 2004, 01:01 PM
wonderly...Your braid is just plain awesome! I can hardly wait to try it! I think I'll print off your instructions, if you don't mind so I have something to read right in front of me. Thanks so much for sharing!

DiamondHeart
August 9th, 2004, 02:10 PM
DANG girl! That is one good looking braid. I can't imagine having the patience to do that. I'm lucky if I manage pigtails before I lose my mind....

It looks great, though! I'm very jealous. I suppose I'll have to learn to French braid before I try this, huh?

~Diamond~

Louise
August 9th, 2004, 03:20 PM
Great job! what a wonderful inspiration. I used to be able to do crown braids on myself a long time ago. I guess I need to start practicing again.

Thanks for sharing!

Louise

wonderlywroughte
August 9th, 2004, 07:32 PM
Moonshadow, I'm not even sure exactly where the one that I'm going to is. :grin: I guess it would help to find that out eventually!

nicolezoie, I can't wait to see your picture! I love crown braids!

Thank you AshlieD, Tresses, Artemisia, Juli, Heidi, Harpgal, DiamondHeart, and Louise! :heart:

songofsunlight
August 10th, 2004, 05:41 AM
That is a beautiful crown braid, Wonderlywroughte. :flower:

Celuriel

absurdine
August 10th, 2004, 05:47 AM
OMG it's so thick!! What an amazing braid, WW! :flowers:

wonderlywroughte
August 10th, 2004, 06:05 AM
Thank you Celuriel and absurdine! I'm not sure why my braid look so thick in that picture, my braid usually isn't that thick. :ponder: Oh well, i'm not complaining! I'd love thicker hair!

Lina
August 10th, 2004, 06:15 AM
I love it! Your hair is beautiful!

Madeleine
August 10th, 2004, 12:01 PM
Oooh, I LOVE crown braids! I just can't do one on myself ... :(
So you did a "real" durch braid, that's interesting. Cause just recently I read instructions that said you should do a lace braid, i.e. a dutch or french braid that you're just feeding from outside the circle. I guess it works both. Gotta practice more!

Golden Mermaid
August 10th, 2004, 12:04 PM
Okies. I did one last night. Yeah, it looked pretty good. Wear it out of the house good. I went to take a picture of it, and our camera was a butt so it didn't work, so you'll just have to take my word for it. Okies? Okies.

Hasta la vista! (spanish test tomorrow. Saludos y despedidas...fun fun)

wonderlywroughte
August 10th, 2004, 12:35 PM
Madeleine, yeah I've read about doing with a lace braid too...I just saw the instructions on dreamweaverbraiding first, so its always stuck in my mind that its supposed to be done with a real French or Dutch or rope braid. I've never tried to do it with a lace braid! Maybe its easier?

Thank you Lina! Golden Mermaid, you'll have to do it again and make sure to get a pic! :wink:

Chamomile betty
August 10th, 2004, 05:05 PM
Very beautiful !!
You did a great job.

Angel Hugs and Love

cortese
August 10th, 2004, 05:07 PM
These are GORGEOUS! It's heartening ot know that it can be done -- especially seeing someone else with thick, wavy/curly hair who did it. Ardderchog!

Midnitecurls
August 10th, 2004, 05:49 PM
WOW, WW, thats just absolutely gorgeous!! This is one of the reasons I'd like really long hair...to wear beautiful updos like that. Now, all I have to do is master the art of braiding and you've inspired me! Thanks.:flower:

LaPisLaZuLi
August 10th, 2004, 05:57 PM
That is amazing! It looks so wonderful.
I can barely do a french braid on myself. About the time I understand what it is I should be doing, and get my fingers and hair all seperated and untangled from each other I forget what it is I'm supposed to put over where. And then when I figure it out again my arms are so tired from trying to braid that I don't even have the strength to throw anything, so I just resort to cussing like a sailor. :brickwall:

Thank God I have a daughter that loves to play with hair! I just called her in to show her the picture and she said, "Oh, Wow! Can I try that on you sometime?" :grin: I acted surprised when I said, "Oh, sure, honey!" but that's really why I called her in to see the picture in the first place! :wink:

smythe_michael
August 10th, 2004, 06:00 PM
Awesome WW, just perfect. and that you like the style and don't find it too difficult to do, is all the better!

Very symmetrical. The improvement from the first shot to the second, shows you've certainly mastered the crown braid.

wonderlywroughte
August 10th, 2004, 07:37 PM
LaPisLaZuLi, hehe! I hope she can figure it out! :grin:

smythe_michael, yeah there is quite a bit of improvement in the 2 pictures. I was originally only going to post the good one, but I thought it would be more helpful to those who are still practicing certain styles to see that practice really does make perfect. :grin:

Thank you Chamomile Betty, Cortese, and Midnitecurls! :grin:

leia
August 11th, 2004, 03:25 AM
[QUOTE=LisaJaney]Leia tried to tell me, but I couldn't make heads or tails of it (sorry Leia)[QUOTE]

LOL! You are too funny, LJ :lol: . Wonderly, your braid is gorgeous, and your instructions are really good too!

wonderlywroughte
August 11th, 2004, 05:03 AM
Thank you! :heart: I just hope they can help someone!

Maggie
August 11th, 2004, 05:32 AM
Beautiful braid, WW!

I have done crown braids on my daughter, but I always started at one of her ears. Thanks for the instructions, maybe the next time it will turn out nicer. When I crown braid her hair, that's the way it stays, 'cause most of the time I don't have time to re-do it. It's a one-time deal for that day!

Maggie