Google

Web forums.longhaircommunity.com

View Full Version : Anyone remember those cone shaped things that make pony tails stand high......

creativeguy
June 22nd, 2004, 12:45 PM
on top of your head?

A woman at work had one on today and as I hadn't seen one for ages, wondered if you'd ever worn one.

Queenie
June 22nd, 2004, 12:51 PM
I remember those! They were so 80s :lol:
I've never worn them though.

wonderlywroughte
June 22nd, 2004, 12:53 PM
I remember them! I think I had one when I was little, but never wore it because I couldn't figure out how it worked :rolleyes: hehe.

morguebabe
June 22nd, 2004, 01:24 PM
I wore them in the 80s when I like 8

Ali
June 22nd, 2004, 04:53 PM
I remember my best friend had tailbone length hair and she used to wear one all the time. She thought she looked like madonna :D

Starfilly
June 22nd, 2004, 06:30 PM
I've never heard of these, anyone have a pic? :smile:

Kat
June 22nd, 2004, 09:38 PM
I vaguely remember them, I think (I was young and my brain is trying to block out the 80s :) ), but never had one...I wanna see a pic too, if someone has one, to see if it's what I'm thinking of.

Anyone ever wear a side ponytail? :)

sgrace
June 22nd, 2004, 09:44 PM
I remember my best friend had tailbone length hair and she used to wear one all the time. She thought she looked like madonna :D

I can only picture this hairstyle with the accompanying cone bra :lol:

Ali
June 22nd, 2004, 11:16 PM
heheheh that's why we used to call them madonna clips - cos they looked just like her bra!!! :D

Starfilly I don't know if you're too young to have seen madonna's cone bras, but imagine an ice cream cone with the bottom bitten off... your hair comes through the narrow bit, and the wider part of the cone sits against your head. They usually opened in half to go around the ponytail. I tried to find a picture but I can't seem to find one anywhere....

Stephanie
June 22nd, 2004, 11:34 PM
Yes. I have worn a side ponytail. In fact, I loved them when my hair was long as a little girl. I got a little too into making all of my hair stay and look smooth that I took my moms fabric shears and cut off the whispies at the nape of my neck. Ahem. What I thought was just whispies then was really huge chunks of hair. That was the end of my side ponytail experience. Never could get all the hair back into that ponytail and looking smooth after that. :lol:

ETA: and to help "tame" the front whispies, I used tiny little heart shaped butterfly clips in different colors and designs. All lined up along my front hairline.

Tiffanie
June 22nd, 2004, 11:38 PM
Oh yes, I LOVED the side pony tail! I remember trying to make mine as fluffy as possible to match my poofy bangs :)

Axium
June 23rd, 2004, 04:58 AM
I remember Madonna wearing one.

Steph, what a great obsessive story! :lol: So there were signs of your hair obsession early on... :silly:

hipjazz
June 23rd, 2004, 05:32 AM
i wore a side ponytail!! in fact, as an eight year old with nooooooooo fashion sense, i was excited when my back-ponytail was crooked, cuz i thought it looked cooler that way. :silly:

maybe this is an urban legend, but i heard the side ponytail was started by a character on a popular tv show--a teenage girl--who lost a patch of hair on the side of her head for some reason. they gave her a side pony to cover it up, and the style spread like wildfire! can anyone confirm this?

kc
June 23rd, 2004, 05:34 AM
Yes, does anyone have a picture of what one of these looked like. I can't picture it myself, but I might have worn one myself back in the 80s and never realized it now. I would really love to know................anyone?

sgrace
June 23rd, 2004, 07:45 AM
Yes. I have worn a side ponytail. In fact, I loved them when my hair was long as a little girl. I got a little too into making all of my hair stay and look smooth that I took my moms fabric shears and cut off the whispies at the nape of my neck. Ahem. What I thought was just whispies then was really huge chunks of hair. That was the end of my side ponytail experience. Never could get all the hair back into that ponytail and looking smooth after that. :lol:

ETA: and to help "tame" the front whispies, I used tiny little heart shaped butterfly clips in different colors and designs. All lined up along my front hairline.

OMG I did this, too! I used to wear a slicked back ponytail every day as a girl, and got tired of the whispies along my hairline, so I *trimmed* them. With my childhood reasoning I did not realize that they would, uh, grow back even worse! My mom was soooooo mad I had a 2 inch chunk of hair sticking up right in the middle of my forehead!

Rain
June 23rd, 2004, 09:42 AM
It came from the 80's! I haven't thought about those since junior high. I think I had one in 8th grade. I'm not really sure why, though.

Mamacat
June 23rd, 2004, 09:48 AM
LOL I had one of those! I also wore side ponytails (and mine too had to be teased and sprayed to match the poof of bangs)...ahh the hair of the 80's haha.

Talking about trying to get the hair sleek into the pony made me remember this. I remember in high school during band camp one of the pom-pom girls wore her hair in a pony that came straight out of the top of her head. (hehe..it looked like a little fountain ) She had shorter hair and not all of it would even reach to the top of her head but everything was so neat and sleek with no clips or anything. We couldn't figure out how she did it! When someone asked her I couldn't believe what she used. Ya ready for this.............Elmers glue!!!!!! She had really light blond hair and since elmers dries clear you couldn't see it. :rolleyes: No wonder she had shorter hair. I don't know how you'd ever get glue back out without major damage.

Madeleine
June 23rd, 2004, 01:34 PM
Ugh - yes, I had several. I used to wear a half up with one of those on top of my head a lot - looked like an exploded toilet brush! :silly: Remember Mandy Smith? Gosh I can't believe I still know that name. The things you clog your brain with, LOL!

anniespagani
June 23rd, 2004, 01:39 PM
I remember those ugly cone things...but being born in '81 I didn't have the chance to really enjoy them! Hehehe. However I did wear a side ponytail a lot. I even have a picture of me when I played soccer and we went for our team photos...there I am with my big ol' poofy/frizzy side ponytail...eww!!

brunette
June 27th, 2004, 03:40 PM
Ahh do you mean those cones that open up like a kind of comb clip? I remember seeing those in hair accessory sections and never knowing what on earth they were for, they looked so bizarre!! Now I realise they are to make the hair stand up in a high pony! So that's why my high pony attempts always flop over limply!!

sneakybea
June 27th, 2004, 06:31 PM
I had one! You're all making me feel old, though, because I was at least college-aged when I got it! Never could make it work, though; I think my hair was too heavy and too thick (it wouldn't close right, or stay up).
I used to call that style a "Jeannie-tail."
Kim B.

Silvia
June 28th, 2004, 07:08 AM
Oh man, I was born in 1986, but I remember those. The 80's were still here in Italy at the beginning of the 90's. :rolleyes:
But I loved side ponytails. I think I discovered them when I was about 9, and I thought they were the coolest thing ever. I felt so classy and GROWN UP wearing those. :lol: :rollin:

Twitch
June 28th, 2004, 08:58 AM
I still HAVE one of those clips!! Its hot pink. :inlove: but no I dont wear it! and I am such an 80's child, I wore the side pony constantly and thought I was really cool. :silly:

Hairstorm
June 28th, 2004, 01:08 PM
maybe this is an urban legend, but i heard the side ponytail was started by a character on a popular tv show--a teenage girl--who lost a patch of hair on the side of her head for some reason. they gave her a side pony to cover it up, and the style spread like wildfire! can anyone confirm this?
I don't know about the hair loss part, but "Sissy" on "Family Affair" usually had a side ponytail. I thought it was cool too! :lol: